Images from India, Rajasthan and the Pushkar Camel Fair, 2019

Oops, deleted too many. Just put up the images from India. Head over to the link below to see them. https://imagesfromthequirkyeye.smugmug.com/INDIA/
If this shows up as a duplicate, I'll delete them; still having technical problems. Apologies.

Comments

• You captured India spectacularly! What photo equipment did you use to capture such beautiful shots?

• IMHO it’s the photographer not the equipment. I have owned some fairly expensive prosumer equipment and can’t come close to Quirky Eye’s fabulous pix.

• edited December 2019

Thanks so much! I use 2 Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark IIs and take instruction from Pulitzer Prize winning photographer Jay Dickman.

For India I wore a Black Rapid Dual harness so I would have both cameras available, one with a 75mm MFT prime lens, or 150 mm equivalent, and the other with a 12-100mm or 24 to 200mm M.Zuiko equivalent lens. I've been experimenting, selling the photos to friends, with the proceeds going to Doctors Without Borders. Feel free to look at any of the pictures on the website, many of them from our travels with Tauck.

https://imagesfromthequirkyeye.smugmug.com/

For Kenya/Tanzania I used a 300 mm M.Zuiko lens with teleconverter, or a 840 mm equivalent. You might enjoy seeing "Leopard In A Tree", which won a center fold in a photo mag. The leopard must have been Irish -- it had green eyes!

Thanks again for the compliments.

Doug

• Great photos and so special the proceeds from sales goes to a great cause.

• Thanks. It's experimental because I don't know how you deal with all the taxing authorities and stuff like that. Most friends I've talked to have given up trying to actually sell their work -- one can't really make money on it, so they end up donating the proceeds to their churches or something like that.

Maybe some of us have friends whose kids have tried to go into the visual arts or photography, and it's hard to make a living. The one's that are able to make a good living, like Dickman, are top-notch and do multiple things, like conducting workshops, teaching, etc. There are so many stock images on the net nowadays, you can't really sell to publications anymore, Dickman says.

And the iPhone may be making your camera obsolete. :) That's a whole different discussion.

• BTW. The reason I chose the Olympus, several years ago now, was that an instructor looked at me hauling a DSLR and assorted stuff up Yosemite, and said, "Doug, you're too old for this -- why don't you get a lighter setup?" What's popular now, however, seems to be Sony's A7R series -- mirrorless but full frame sensor. Disadvantage is, big sensor, still difficult not to have a big, more expensive lens -- having to do with the physics of the focal point of the lens on the sensor or something like that -- I'm not a techie. Disadvantage of the Olympus or micro-four thirds line is grain or noise in low light situations. I print on museum quality matte paper, which produces lovely, painting like works, since the ink is absorbed into the paper. So, "grain" or noise is not very prominent. But, aside from all that, use whatever camera you have, take hundreds or thousands of images on your Tauck trips, whittle them down to 5% or less, as pros do, and give them to your kids and grandkids. Develop the Indian, don't worry about the arrow.

• I'm deciding whether to upgrade my Canon T2i. I've had it for a decade now. It's heavy and I'm getting tired of hauling it through airports. It's takes really good pictures; however, as you said, many of the folks on the Tauck trips now only use the iphone camera and those pictures are really good. I have the iphone X. My next Tauck trip is Egypt & Jordan-Petra to the Pyramids. I'm contemplating ditching the Canon and heavy wide/zoom lenses and purchasing the iphone 11 Pro for its camera features. It will certainly lighten my load. My concern of course is less control and the occasion where I may come across a shot that requires that extra zoom or wide angle lens. I have a few months to decide and perhaps by that time there will be another iphone roll-out.

• We just came back from the K and T tour. A couple of people had good cameras. The best shots were from a woman who had a Samsung phone, we were all left speechless by her amazing photos

• British I am always amazed at the quality of Samsung photos. IMO, they beat the iphone photos hands down...but, I have everything Apple; therefore...

• Here's a link to a video by Tony Northrup that rates the best cameras of the year, including Smartphones. Tony is a great, unbiased, evaluator of products in the photographic field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE3trDKdCxI&t=328s

But, he also prefers to stay with his iPhone for the same reasons as yours.

My impression would be that one might decide what you were going to use your images for, and what you need to use, in terms of photographic equipment, to achieve that goal. If you're producing an album for grandkids, a book, or wall art, or images you plan to enter into contests, or just images for the internet, the equipment you need is different. They will vary in terms of the color, resolution, printability in terms of dots per square inch, and file size, etc., in the images they produce.

Most Tauck guests, in my experience are not photo nerds, and prefer to put most of their energies into enjoying the Tauck experience. One might wish one could produce great results as some others might, but, it depends on the Indian and not the arrow. I have a close friend that produces wonderful images, and is not really into the technical aspects of equipment. But she's an artist, and has a natural consideration of light, color, composition, and the right moment to release the shutter.

And, importantly, the other variable is how you view yourself as a maker of images. Does one see oneself as a casual picture taker, an avid hobbyist, someone that wants to learn or indulge in photographic pursuits, or one who can't be bothered with all this stuff? So, you already know those answers. So, find the right combination for you, of factors that will maximize your Tauck experience.

• edited January 2020

BTW, you have to be a little crazy too, like running outside during dessert to catch the sunset over the hotel, or pressing your camera against a window during a main course to capture the godlight, to the chagrin of your spouse. LOL. Or not falling asleep on safari on the ride home. (K/T; BCR; Ireland)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file