"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #16

Previous winners:

Round #1 won by MCD and cvc
Submitted by AlanS. Photo of the Round Tower at Windsor Castle, Berkshire, UK. First photo shows Union Jack, second is the Royal Standard, indicating the Queen is on-site. Third photo is the chapel at Eton College, where Prince Harry and Prince William attended high school.

Round #2 (A) won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by JohnS. Photo of tomb of the Mughal Emperor Humayun in Delhi, India. The tomb was commissioned by his first wife and chief consort, Empress Bega Begum in 1569-70.

Round #2 (B) won by BKMD and travel maven
Submitted by Smiling Sam. Photo of the what is variously termed the Royal Barge or Gangaur boat, a sort of water taxi, that was used to transport James Bond across man-made (1362) Lake Pichola to the "Floating Palace" or “Taj Lake Palace,” in Udaipur City, Rajasthan, India in the 1983 movie “Octopussy” starring Roger Moore and produced by Robert Broccoli (no proven connection to the vegetable.)

Round #3 won by travel maven
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of the Dohány Street Synagogue located in Budapest, Hungary. Benefactors- Tony Curtis and Helena Rubenstein.

Round #4 won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by travel maven. It is the Chapel on Klimsenhorn, Mt. Pilatus, Switzerland, just outside Lucerne with nearby (Celtic?) cross. Once visited by Richard Wagner and Queen Victoria.

Round #5 won by Smiling Sam (we need to cut his internet feed!)
Submitted by Claudia Sails. Lions Monument in Lucerne Switzerland commemorating the Swiss guards killed in the French Revolution.

Round #6 won by BKMD
Submitted by cvc The high altar in St. John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta, Malta. cvc took the picture while on a Tauck's small ship cruise of the coast of Italy, making several stops in Sicily and then finished in Malta.

Round #7 won by JohnS
Submitted by Sandman. Anshun Bridge in Chengdu China. Chengdu is the home of the Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. Best of China 2013 tour.

Round #8 won by Sandman, bonus answer by travel maven
Submitted by JohnS. The village of Roussillion situated in the Luberon in Provance France in the heart of one of the biggest ochre deposits in the world. Roussillon is famous for its magnificent red cliffs and ochre quarries. The pictures were taken during our Tauck Savoring France cruise on the Rhone in May 2018.

Round #9 won by JohnS
Submitted by Smiling Sam. In the centre of the Plaza de España of Madrid is one of the most important monuments of Miguel de Cervantes of the City. The monument to Cervantes, who died on the 23rd of April 1616, was commissioned by King Alfonso XIII in 1915, on the 300th anniversary of the publication of the second part of Don Quixote. The main body of the fountain was erected in the 1920’s, but the full monument was not completed until the 1960’s, when the sculptures of Aldonza and Dulcinea were added on the side. This impressive monument stands behind a rectangular pool. The figures of Don Quixote and his squire Sancho Panza stand on the central pedestal inviting passers-by to gaze at them amid the bustling life of the city.

Round #10 won by Sandman
Submitted by BKMD. Bathroom humor- Super Toilet controller, Waldorf Astoria Bejing; Odyssey in China.

Round #11 won by your's truly. :)
Submitted by British. Rwanda, sights somewhere along the road from Kigali to Ruhengeri or the park to see the Mountain Gorillas on K&T+ R.

Round #12 won by Derek
Submitted by Smiling Sam. It is the Presidential Palace in Hanoi, built by the French in the early 1900s to house the Governor General of French Indochina. When the Vietnamese took power, Ho Chi Minh refused to live in the palace. He built what is known as his Stilt House on the same grounds to live in. He would only host dignitaries in the Palace. As Derek says it is used for foreign dignitaries. Seen on the Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand tour.

Round #13 won by Smiling Sam with assist from Moi
Submitted by Derek. View of the marshy Okavango Delta from the lobby/dining area of the Belmond Eagle Island Lodge (camp), in Botswana. The Fish-Eagle Bar is in the distance on the right. Zambia, South Africa, Botswana tour.

Round #14 won by JohnS
Submitted by Smiling Sam. Wieliczka Salt Mine in Wieliczka Poland, Southwest of Krakow. Last Supper carved in Salt. Berlin, Danube, and Krakow river cruise.

Round #15 No winner (AlanS identified the country)
Submitted by JohnS. Photo of a street ear cleaner, Delhi, India taken on the Northern India and Nepal trip.

New players , please go to any of the announcements for Rounds #1 - #4 to see the rules.

Round #16 is now open for a submission- submit as a reply to this thread. Ready, Set, Go!!

Comments

• Name the bird, its approx wing span and where this picture was taken:

• Black Footed Albatross. Wingspan is 6-8 feet. Photo taken in Alaska.

• Andean Condor, 8 ft 10 in to 10 ft 6 in wingspan, Patagonia Tour (Chile and Argentina). Not sure of the specific location- couldn't match lake profile to Google maps. Possibly Lago Argentino or one of the many lakes and fjords in the area between Puerto Natales and Calafate(?)

• Alan -- Would you please post again how we send you a photo. I see the photo icon to insert an image, but how do I send it to you so you can start a new quiz ? Also, while we're at it, how do you private message someone on this site? I would have sent you this message privately if I had known.

• edited April 2020

Ding ding ding, AlanS is the winner. I expected British to jump on this one.

The location is a few miles outside of Puerto Bories, Chile. It was a hike to a cliff-top where there was a condor nesting area down the side of the cliff. Alan, I don't think I'd be able to pinpoint the EXACT location, but it was a short van ride from the hotel. And that's my daughter and her significant other in the pic.

The above pic was taken on the condor hike, one of the many optional activities (no charge) offered by the Singular Patagonia Hotel, a truly unique and fabulous place. It is on Chile's national Historic Register. The hotel was originally a meat packing plant, back in the pre-Freon days when they used Ammonia as their refrigerant. Throughout the hotel, there are remnants of the original facility and its equipment. When first arriving at the hotel, I wondered what kind of place is this, as you arrive at an unpaved parking lot to what looks like a barn with a corrugated metal roof. Inside that "barn" is check-in, then you descend a funicular (pictured below) to the main building. The rooms were very large and had a wall of glass overlooking a lake.

• One of my favorite hotels! We hiked a lot higher to see our condors.
    Good morning everybody!

• Our hike was no slouch. I don't know the stats, but my guess is we hiked somewhere between 600 and 1000 ft vertical. I just emailed my daughter to see if she can retrieve the stats on it, as she logs all that stuff on strava. Here's the description (with exact location, Alan) from the hotel's web site:

We will hike to Cerro Benitez, a cliff of nesting condors that is part of the paleontological site that houses the Monumento Nacional Cueva del Milodón, 35 kms from Puerto Bories. After one hour and 30 minutes we will reach the summit where we will be able to observe the imposing presence and flight of the austral condors as well as spotting Laguna Sofia, and Eberhard and Ultima Esperanza fjords.

• Thanks. Haven't been there. Wanna go because daughter and family are assigned to the US Embassy in Buenos Aires (at least for a few more years)- we could tour and then spend a few days or week with them.

The terrain, etc. in the photo is much as described and pictured in various sources. What threw me off was I was distracted by the larger lakes and didn't see that one. I kept looking at the shape of the lakes and the valley that goes off to the left at the end of the lake. Google maps and earth view often fool me that way, especially distances in street view (which is not available for that remote area!!). Once I read your post and knew it was near Cerro Benitez it took just a few seconds to locate the lake by its profile on Google Maps- Your photo appears to have been taken from nearly the same (popular?) spot as the Google one, though from a bit higher up the hill! :)

MCD will give you info via message- click on the little envelope icon at the upper right of your screen once you see a red #.

Give me a second and I'll start Round #17.

• Just to follow-up, I finally got the stats from my daughter on the condor hike - it was a little under 4 miles round trip with a 1300 ft elevation gain. Nice, moderate hike.

• edited April 2020

Moderate?!?!?!? Wow, according to my planning (for next year) that is more than the hike to Ad Deir (The Monastery) at Petra!

• edited April 2020

Having done both of those, I'd say the hike to The Monastery was definitely easier (only 30-45 minutes, IIRC), except for having to get out of the way of donkeys running down the steps.

Just gotta stay in shape :) We've had beautiful weather for the last week (65-75F and sunny) and I've biked 100 miles in the last 5 days. I'll get some time off this weekend as snow is predicted for Easter Sunday :)

• I was in serious rehab and training for our March '20 J&E, especially for Petra (Nov. 2019 knee replacement and to lose weight)- our town pool is closed so now I'm just walking- vigorously up to 20 - 26 mi. per week (weekly goal is 6 mi. X 4 + a few to make it a marathon week :) ). After our trip was cancelled, I have continued. A few years ago I trained for the Blue Danube 43 km bike ride- made it no sweat, but I ain't getting any younger.

You may have seen some of my posts about my Petra plans- after the Ad Deir hike, I am still feeling OK, I plan to return to the Treasury via the Wadi Al Farasi trail. It runs southeast and sort of parallel to the main trail but goes up a wadi with more interesting rock-cut structures on the southwest side of the mountain from the Street of Facades (trail in yellow). Then I'll follow the trail up to the High Place of Sacrifice and down to the main trail and back to the entrance/hotel.

• Yes, I recall your plans for this and thought they were pretty ambitious. After the Monastery hike, I was pretty tired (and dusty), so I just walked back to the hotel, which I think was about 1.5 miles or so and believe I arrived back at about 3:30. Bring plenty of water with you. You'll have an opportunity to refill your water supply at the lunch buffet, which is near the base of the Monastery hike.