"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #27

It's baaack! :D This morning we had a bit of a storm (a few tornadoes too!!) and we lost power and internet for awhile.

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #26 won by MCD
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of a suspended orange tree in Old Jaffa, an area at the south end of the Tel Aviv, Israel. Jaffa is thought to be the oldest port in the world, with its history going back 4000 years! This is a work of art by artist Ran Morin, who created the statue in 1993 can be found in the Lion alleyway.

Round #27 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement. Again, not so fast. I'll start this round. :D

Where (generally and specifically) is this intrepid, though not too stylish (check out the man-purse), hiking geezer? How did he get there? What is the white stuff?

Comments

• The white stuff?? You mean the hair or the legs?

• We might need a few more clues on this one. :/

• I think it’s the foundation of Alan’s ‘last’ house after the tornado. (;-)

• Sun Gate Machu Picchu

• I believe that TravelGuy is correct that Sun Gate Machu Picchu is the answer. Wait for AlanS to confirm.

• Sorry, been away. TravelGuy is correct- the Sun Gate at Machu Picchu.

I got up early the second morning, skipped breakfast, and entered the park as soon as they opened the gate- me, two or three others from the tour, and about 150 - 200 members of the backpacking/youth hostel crowd - to catch sun coming over the mountains as it beamed on the main site. But we were "clouded in"- clouds, the white stuff, not fog. So, instead, I decided to attempt the hike to the Sun Gate. I gave myself a fixed amount of time at which time if I hadn't made it I would turn around and head back down. It was a steep, very irregular, rocky, trail - 1.2 miles long with a 1000' feet of climb (7972' - 8967'). I was in a hurry because I needed to be back at the Belmond in time to shower, check out and catch the bus down to Aguas Calientes. I nearly face planted once on the way up- no injuries. I literally flew coming down, skipping "steps" (there really weren't any "steps") but I managed to stay on my feet. Old, fer sure, and only partially in shape (swimming), but before knee problems. No sun but the clouds parted just enough for this shot of the site from near what they call the "watchman's hut:"

The weather was beautiful the previous day: