Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #81

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #76 won by SueMS
Submitted by Sealord. It is one of two 3500 years old Egyptian Sphinxes portraying Amenhotep III wearing the dual crown of Upper and Lower Egypt. They were originally from a temple in Thebes but are now located in Saint Petersburg, Russia. They arrived in 1830. By the time the initial purchase proposal made it from the Embassy in Cairo to Nicholas I of Russia and then to the Russian Academy of Arts, both had been sold to a French buyer. As a result of the French Revolution, Saint Petersburg got the sphinxes after all. They can be seen today on the waterfront in front of the Imperial Academy of Arts.

Round #77 won by Portolan
Submitted by JohnS. Women’s rolling latrine (a Tauck special?). Bandhavgarh National Park, India. Nepal and Northern India tour.

Round #78 won by TravelGuy (with a “tsetse” assist from others)
Submitted by connorlaker. Flag used in E. Africa to attract (and kill) tsetse flies. Photographed on?

Round #79 No winner!!
Submitted by Kathy M. Kayaking from the Barcelona Olympics in La Seu d'Urgell, Spain in the Pyrenees west of Barcelona, not too far from Andorra. We stayed there during the Paradors of Northern Spain trip.

Round #80 won by JohnS
Submitted by AlanS. City surfing the Eisbachwelle on the south side of the English Garden in Munich, Germany

Round #81 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

What country?
    What town?

• Options
    edited April 2020

Germany? Rudesheim?

• Options

Nope

• Options
    edited April 2020

Organ grinder in TBD, Austria. Either Salzburg or Vienna.

• Options

Not Germany or Austria

• Options

Is there anything in the picture that can possibly indicate the country and city beyond the Alpine looking characters on the organ? If not, then it is a random guess for every city and country that Tauck visits in the Alps.

• Options

Clue: Perhaps the golden stones.

• Options

Also, not Alpine.

• Options

Was this on a Tauck tour?

• Options

Italy?

• Options

Des Moines, Iowa

• Options

Yep, I thought was one of the primary rules.
    Another clue: Medieval

• Options

Not Italy, it is in Europe though

• Options

To Travelguy - Yep, Tauck tour. I thought was one of the primary rules.

• Options

Antarctica

• Options

The guy looks like he may be Croatian. That's my guess.
    The Tauck lanyard gives it away as a Tauck tour.

• Options

Connorlaker - What town does he look like he is from?

• Options

Not in Croatia - go West, in fact west of Austria (as earlier guessed).

• Options
    edited April 2020

Warsaw, Poland

• Options

Espana again or Portugal?

• Options

Final clue: Beaujolais wine

• Options
    edited April 2020

Viviers or Grignan France. Savoring France: Paris, Lyon & Provence

• Options

Where is the Beaujolais wine in the picture? I missed it.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Les Vins Georges Duboeuf - Beaujolais Nouveau - theme park about 30 miles from Lyon, France

• Options

Savoring France: Paris, Lyon & Provence tour is the correct tour. The actual town visited might not be named in the itinerary.
    One last hint; google "Golden Stones, France"

• Options

It is a Medieval town_

• Options

OK. Last try for me.
    Jarnioux, France

• Options
    edited April 2020

Last guess, Oingt, like Jarnioux, is one of a handful of Medieval towns in the Beaujolais region. They have a a barrel organ (Orgues de Barbarie), festival in Oingt every year at the beginning of September, the next one being September 2-3, 2000 (maybe?).

Well, I must say this one was a bit difficult. But frankly, since Sue offered hints that finally led to the area, it was a valid Round. It also puts those who haven't been on this cruise, on a more equal footing. That being said, in the future let's try to be more, just a bit more, obvious if possible and please check to see if the location is on an existing tour, or current version of that tour and so state.

Remember, folks, this is for fun and to provide an opportunity to share and introduce fellow Tauktourians to trips they may have not taken, locations they haven't seen, or aspects of a particular tour or location they found especially interesting. There are no limits on guesses, no penalties for wrong guesses, no bragging rights for correct answers, no prizes awarded, no discounts on Tauck tours, no special recognition for stumping the group or solving the most rounds. :) (I'm not keeping score.)

• Options

Yep, The town is Oingt in France. It is a picturesque medieval village known for its golden stones.
    It was part of the Savoring France river cruise. It was part of the day 4 itinerary in late May 2018.
    A couple more photos,.