Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #85

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #76 won by SueMS
Submitted by Sealord. It is one of two 3500 years old Egyptian Sphinxes portraying Amenhotep III wearing the dual crown of Upper and Lower Egypt. They were originally from a temple in Thebes but are now located in Saint Petersburg, Russia. They arrived in 1830. By the time the initial purchase proposal made it from the Embassy in Cairo to Nicholas I of Russia and then to the Russian Academy of Arts, both had been sold to a French buyer. As a result of the French Revolution, Saint Petersburg got the sphinxes after all. They can be seen today on the waterfront in front of the Imperial Academy of Arts.

Round #77 won by Portolan
Submitted by JohnS. Women’s rolling latrine (a Tauck special?). Bandhavgarh National Park, India. Nepal and Northern India tour.

Round #78 won by TravelGuy (with a “tsetse” assist from others)
Submitted by connorlaker. Flag used in E. Africa to attract (and kill) tsetse flies. Photographed on?

Round #79 No winner!!
Submitted by Kathy M. Kayaking from the Barcelona Olympics in La Seu d'Urgell, Spain in the Pyrenees west of Barcelona, not too far from Andorra. We stayed there during the Paradors of Northern Spain trip.

Round #80 won by JohnS
Submitted by AlanS. City surfing the Eisbachwelle on the south side of the English Garden in Munich, Germany

Round #81 won by AlanS with extreme help of hints from Sue!
Submitted by SueMS. The medieval town of Oingt in the Beaujolais region of France . Oingt is listed as one of the most beautiful villages of France by one trade organization. Pictured- an organ grinder playing a paper roll barrel organ also known as a orgue de Barbarie ("Barbary organ" a corruption) seen on the Savoring France river cruise. It was part of the day 4 itinerary in late May 2018.

Round #82 won by rwilso15, BKMD, and AlanS
Submitted by sidecar. Heart Island and Boldt Castle (in the trees) and the Power Station (waterfront). Taken during a luncheon boat excursion through the Thousand Islands section of the St. Lawrence River on Day 3 of Canada's Capital Cities plus Niagara Falls tour.

Round #83 won by Portolan with assist by AlanS
Submitted by connerlaker. The (hollow) copper sculpture 'The Buddhas Within' was made and donated to the museum by Satish Gupta in 2016. There are 1,500 small sculptures of Akshobhya Buddhas on the inside of the large head of Buddha located on the grounds of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (formerly Prince of Wales) Museum in Mumbai, India. Photographed during the Portrait of India tour.

Round #84 won by JohnS
Submitted by TravelGuy. Belvedere Palace in Vienna, Austria. The Kiss the famous painting by Gustav Klimt resides there. Seen on the Danube Reflections cruise, one of many Tauck tours that visit wonderful Vienna.

Round #85 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

Where?

What happens here?

• Options

They do not look like the typical Tauck travelers but I am going to take a wild guess at this and say they are flamenco dancers getting ready to perform somewhere in Spain.

• Options
    edited April 2020

You guys are good ... but only a partial hit. One is a flamenco dancer. But, not getting ready to perform.

• Options

He is getting ready to face the ultimate challenge- he's getting married! :D

• Options

Is this x-rated?

• Options
    edited April 2020

Maybe she is trying to talk him out of running with the bulls later that day. Is he wearing spurs?

• Options

I’m not ready to give any hints yet ... this group is too good.

• Options

Do flamenco dancers wear spurs? Kinky!

• Options

Getting ready for San Isidro celebration?

• Options

Traditional attire for running with the bulls is all white with a red sash, though it does appear he's wearing spurs. However, no apparent details that would suggest location other than a riveted door, so two people doing something. It'll be hard to nail this if one hadn't been present.

• Options

He is wearing spurs.

• Options

Hint.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Could be a Mexican picador they appear to wear black and white. Since they ride horses, they wear spurs. He is not wearing his jacket or leg armor. No tours to Mexico, however.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Or Spain...Tauck tours there. Bullfights are still held in Madrid and Andalusia. I'd say insufficient locational detail in the original photo to be more specific. But AlanS is probably right about being a picador. Clothing is too bland to be a matador who don't (I believe) wear spurs anyway.

• Options

Another.

• Options
    edited April 2020

A bullring 'Display Pasodoble' with horse? This two-person dance form has the man performing as the bullfighter and the woman as the cape. It is a pasodoble performed mostly for spectacle purposes, sometimes in a bullfighting ring.

Factoid, one of the most famous modern era performances of the Pasodoble was the short program of ice dancers Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean in the 1984 Olympics- with Torvill skating as the bullfighter's cape. They went on to stun the world with their long program, won gold and became the highest scoring figure skaters of all time (for a single program) receiving twelve perfect 6.0s and six 5.9s which included artistic impression scores of 6.0 from every judge, after skating to Maurice Ravel's Boléro.

• Options

These are Andalusian dancing horses at a private estate in Cartama, Spain. They also teach bull fighting from horseback. We saw a great show there and then had a great meal with, of course Sherry from Jerez. We also met a ‘famous’ bull fighter who also put on a demonstration riding an Andalusian horse. The estate was North of Malaga.

• Options

So, what was the deal with the guy on the horse and lady in the ring? Just some modern dance?

• Options
    edited April 2020

Both the woman and the horse flamenco dance. The rider performs using dressage. There were a number of flamenco dancers who also performed in the stands. This was Tauck’s “Treasures of Spain and Portugal” small ship cruise aboard Windstar’s “Wind Surf”.

• Options

Let me see if I can boil this down for the next round announcement. No winner is how I will list it.

• Options

For Alan I just viewed both Paso Doble and Flamenco again to be certain what I was watching ... Flamenco ... which by the way originated in Andalusia, and the presenters call it flamenco also.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Sealord
    3:20PM

For Alan I just viewed both Paso Doble and Flamenco again to be certain what I was watching ... Flamenco ... which by the way originated in Andalusia, and the presenters call it flamenco also.

I was reaching, figured it would be hard to do the flamenco on soft ground (isn't there a lot of tapping and stomping in flamenco and what about castanets?) and since she was wearing red she could have been the cape. Makes a good story or a lot of bull, though. :D

• Options

Actually, I thought there were some good observations from the first picture. They got Spain, and Flamenco, and someone even mentioned Andalusia. If someone had Googled Andalusia and Flamenco dancing, they probably would have figured it out. There are a number of places that do a similar show, but this one does not have a website. The picture was of a horseback rider wearing spurs and a Flamenco dancer. No commonly Googleable landmark ... and apparently no one on the Forum has done this trip. I recommend it, but not at the height of summer. It was hot!
    In two of the above pictures you can see people with bottles of water in their hands.

• Options

• Options