Iceland July 21, 2021 departure

Anyone out there heading to Iceland on this tour date? Would love to “meet” you early! We’re really excited to start traveling again. Jodi from South Carolina.

Comments

• I'll be on that cruise, along with son and teenage grandson, a multi-generational trip. I look forward to crossing paths with you.

• Judy, so looking forward to netting you AND the other two generations. What a great trip for all of you!!! I’m a firm believer in making memories with our kids and our Grandjoys!

• We are booked too and are excited to start traveling again. We do not fly home until the 29th and are looking at day trips after debarking the ship on the 28th. Is anybody interested in sharing the cost of a private tour?

• We visited Iceland in 2015 and spent 3 extra days prior to our cruise. We wanted to ride Icelandic horses and booked a day trip out of Reykjavik...fantastic experience. The Icelandic horses are smaller, gentle and so easy to ride since they have the famous "5th" gait which creates a great smooth ride! Reykjavik is a great city...unique architecture and easy to walk around the town! Don't miss it!

• Bill, we’re coming in early on the front end. We’re leaving on the stated tour end date. What about you and your crew, Judy? Are you coming in early? Though we have retired to SC, we’re traveling with good friends from PA. We’re all very eager for the trip, you’re right, it’s exciting to start traveling again. See y’all on the 21st of July. That’s actually our 48 wedding anniversary!

• JodiWiz, we arrive only one day early, on July 20 and leaving at the stated tour date end, in part because I drove around Iceland for two weeks in 2018. I would love to do a helicopter tour of the volcano on July 20 if that works out, but the complication of figuring out the facts on COVID testing complicates the timing. I understand Iceland won't require testing after June, but Ponant may still require the PCR test within 72 hours of boarding. And congratulations on your anniversary! What a way to celebrate!!

• Hi, I’m another Judi traveling to Iceland on July 21 celebrating our 50th anniversary! I was surprised to see under “what to pack” that they were suggesting dressier clothing for some dinners. I thought it would be country club casual. This is our first Ponant cruise. What are your suggestions?

• I would not know the difference between the two. When we took the tour, clothing ranged from very casual to a bit dressy for a few of the guests. My husband is not take a jacket. Even though it says jeans are not to be worn, they were. On our other Small ship tour, Panama Canal, some people wore shorts to dinner. No one is going to refuse your entry into the dining room and I guess with social distancing maybe you could even ask for dinner in your room.

• I just got back from this cruise. I was surprised to see that most people did dress up for the two formal dinners...not something we have experienced in the past few years on other trips. "Very casual" would certainly be out of place.

• Does anyone know if the Rekjavik tour on Day 1 includes a tour--in addition to lunch--of the Harpa Concert Hall? Tauck is not very forthcoming about details.

• You go there for the Welcome dinner. It’s an amazing building.

• Not quite right British. It is a Welcome lunch. We didn’t have any tour of the Harpa Concert Hall building, just a very nice lunch. The rest of the building wasn’t even open.

Of course after lunch you see old Reykjavik, the Perlan Museum, the Hallgrimskirkja, the President of Iceland’s house, and then board the ship. The President’s house visit may have just been a time killer waiting for the ship to be ready for us. We had 70 Tauck guests, broken into different buses. They don’t want everyone arriving at the ship at the same time.

• We toured the the Concert Hall, I really think it was dinner, but everything has changed.

• British - It has changed, apparently, since I was describing how it was when I went two weeks ago.

• edited July 2021

Here are some photos I found of the concert hall, including our meal. Hard to tell if it was lunch or dinner due to the lack of darkness at night.

• British - We saw that much of the building. That looks like just what you see walking from the entrance to the restaurant. When I said we didn't tour the building I meant, any of the concert halls.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file