We're going to try again...

As described here under Europe Regions (either this category hadn't been created or I missed it), we were booked on Yuletide Spirit for December 2020:
https://forums.tauck.com/discussion/13432/yuletide-spirit-the-netherlands-and-belgium

We are going to try again for the December 6, 2022, southbound cruise from Amsterdam to Brussels. Anybody else?

P.S. Hard to think of this as a Rhine River cruise (per category), but there is some intersection at Rotterdam.

Comments

• Portolan,

Sorry you had to rebook. I am thinking of taking this tour in 2022, but if my Nov 2021 Douro River cruise is canceled I will rebook it for 2022. Have you done other Holiday Market tours? I have always wanted to go on one!

• We've done Tauck's Rhine Christmas Markets and, quite a while ago, Smithsonian's Danube Christmas Markets (pretty much identical to Tauck's). Both were great. River cruises typically moor near the old center of the towns where the Christmas Markets are often to be found. Because the sailing distances between towns are short, the ships usually sail very late allowing an additional walk ashore after dinner to visit the markets in the evening when they are particularly festive. Yuletide Spirit appeals to us because its new territory though perhaps a bit thinner on markets since they are densest in Germanic regions though the idea has spread all over Europe.

• edited April 2021

There are 6 of us booked on that 12/6/22 trip beginning in Amsterdam. We all took the Rhine Christmas Markets cruise in 2019, and 4 of the group are also booked for the Danube this year, keeping our fingers crossed.

• Portolan,

Thanks for responding to my question!

• Quick question about these Xmas River Cruising trips, do these ships move a lot? I suffer from motion sickness.

• We’ve taken 4 river cruises. There is virtually no feeling of motion or rocking when the boat is under way..

• I appreciate the response. Thank you.

• I was booked on the Amsterdam - Brussels trip in December 2020 but rescheduled to December 2021 when I saw that my preferred solo cabins were selling out before Tauck cancelled my original trip. I finally received an email from Tauck on July 15 that my 2021 tour IS scheduled to go. I've been looking forward to it ever since the cruise was first announced in early 2019 and already had to wait what seemed like forever. And then Covid happened.

I have done the Rhine and Danube Christmas Markets cruises and was happy to see a new Christmas cruise. I don't expect much in the way of markets, but I just love Europe at Christmas. It's so different from where I live in California.

• Europe at Christmastime is indeed a treat. I especially love the markets in Lyon. But my favorite will always be London; I joined a Smithsonian tour, Christmas in Victorian London, a few years ago. From the mince pies and Christmas crackers to the dazzling lights to our very, very British TD, I felt immersed in a Dickens novel. And then come Boxing Day, somehow the city returns to its old, familiar self.

• We, too, are booked for this December. And like others, we've done both the Rhine and the Danube (a couple of times each actually) so this new one will be a treat. There is nothing like being at the Christmas Markets to start the season off on a joyous note. But Travelcrazy, the markets have become such a big business, something tells me that we will see many of them in the Netherlands and Belgium. I'm looking sooooo forward to it.

• I’m booked with 7 friends on the Dec. 13th trip. Anyone else concerned about the new travel restrictions The Netherlands announced last week? For us traveling Brussels to Amsterdam I think it creates a very large problem with the quarantine policy. As we get closer to final payment I don’t really see any way to keep this it itinerary. You thoughts.

• We were concerned about all the changes and the experience on a trip we were taking. We decided to rebook for 2022. Tauck allowed the funds in the insurance and trip to be applied to the new trip. Airfare is tricky depending on whether you booked with Tauck, whether you have paid for it, etc. Many airlines are offering liberal rebooking/credits, although I am starting to see some are starting to change their policies, especially in the domestic market. (some Tauck agents are quoting a $400 penalty of their airfare is fully paid; I pushed and found out if I rebook a trip it is held as a credit, like its wallet!)

Anyway, a rebooked trip will likely cost more as well as the insurance. Small price to pay. I suggest that you challenge politely what the agent is telling you, as the result can vary. Some are just robots with a script; pther can actually communicate anddiscuss alternatives. Best time to change is before final payment.

• I too moved our Brussels Christmas market cruise from 12/27/2021 to 12/27/2022. Europe has cancelled all Christmas markets so why go on the cruise. Have been on all of the other ones and since this is new wanted to go on it. So, we wait for the powers that be (government and CDC), to decide if we humans can travel again.

• I’ll be on the Bru-Ams 12/27/2022 cruise as a solo traveler. My travel companion unfortunately had to cancel. We were scheduled for this same trip in 2021. I do, however, have some weather trepidation…I live in So Fla and no longer deal with cold weather, but I’m trying to be prepared. Very much looking forward to getting away! If is Tauck, I know it will be great

• We're also booked on the 12/6/22 southbound Amsterdam-Brussels cruise. My husband's first Christmas markets experience. I've done two Rhine and one Danube, and loved them. I understand there aren't many markets in the Netherlands, and the ones I've found don't start until mid-December. If anyone has info on any Amsterdam markets, I'd appreciate learning about them. Thanks!

• ASHeltsley, we’re on the 12/6 trip as well. I agree, Amsterdam doesn’t have much in the way of markets while we’ll be there. In my research, it seems like Rotterdam and Brussels have the best markets. We’re extending one day in Brussels. This is a great site for Brussels. https://fullsuitcase.com/brussels-christmas-market/

• The YuleTide tour isn't really about the Xmas Markets, so don't expect it to be like the Rhine & Danube. Amsterdam won't have any markets. You will see some small ones along the way, but nothing like the authentic German ones. The one in Brussels is big and in a nice setting, but it's more mass produced stuff, not the handmade stuff you saw along the Rhine and Danube Xmas Markets. The Brussels one also has LOTS of food stalls. It's a good experience, but nothing like the traditional ones along the Rhine and Danube. It will get dark early and typically damp and cold feeling. Bruges is gorgeous.

• Brussels has several markets; at a smaller one I found handmade clothing, including one of my favorite wool sweaters. German markets may be best for ornaments, but I wouldn't discount others. I think it was in Belgium where one year a market featured visiting Polish craftspeople.

• edited November 2022

Just to clarify -- the German and Austrian Xmas Markets aren't all ornaments - if anything, that is a small part of the Markets - they're a lot of clothes, sweaters, lace, nutcrackers, smokers, soaps, oils, trinkets from certuries ago (handmade, replicated), jewelry, leather, pottery, children's items, etc. And they do have international sections also (esp in Strasbourg and Nuremberg) where many other countries have stalls and food and drinks.

I was just saying that to us, the items in Brussels were items that seemed more mass-produced - not all the handmade wood and pewter that you see in Austria and Germany. The markets definitely change in each region - Germany has the most authentic markets (as they should since the Xmas Markets originated there), Austria is similar, but slightly different. France, Budapest, and Switzerland's Markets are different - products and food -- but still good.

My point was that the Nederland/Belgium Markets will be different from the ones on the Danube and Rhine - different in products and food. (amazing waffles and fries for sure)

• Thank you all for the info., I'll check out the "fullsuitcase" site. Can't wait to see Bruges and Brussels in winter; never made it to Ghent, so looking forward to seeing that city also. If there aren't authentic markets in the German style, it's ok, we'll enjoy the food, drink and general ambiance! I did wonder if, on the day we can choose between Rotterdam and Delft, a city tour is included with the Delft factory visit, it looks like a very picturesque city. A friend just returned from a similar cruise with Tauck, and she said there was no time for a city tour because so much time was spent in the Delft factory, where they participated in painting an item. Oh! I do remember the amazing waffles and fries in Amsterdam!

• I haven't been on a holiday market cruise but do have two booked. As ASHeltsley mentioned, I am more interested in the regional food specialties, drinks, pastries and festivities. Of course, I will do window shopping and will look for unique gifts for friends and family. I also think life on the riverboat will be equally festive!

• kfnknfzk - they make your time on the cruise so super special - and the boat is decorated beautifully. And, the food is the main attraction for us along the markets too. Just know that cash is wanted by most all vendors unless it's expensive items, but most everything is very reasonably priced. Don't waste your time eating lunch in restaurants - You'll have a major breakfast on the boat and a HUGE dinner - so for lunch, just snack and sample food on the Market.

• As always a heartfelt thanks to you, terrilynn. I remember you mentioned the cash-only requirement. With the favorable exchange rates, I'm well stocked.

Have you ever been on-board a riverboat on Christmas Day? Hanukkah and Christmas do not overlap next year when I'll be taking the two back-to-back tours. Not that it matters at all. I already have my hand-made, crocheted dreidel ready to place on the tree--I presume there will be a tree.

• Kfnknfzk - we will be on the Rhine next Xmas Day - Dec. 20-27 w/some friends who have never been to Europe or traveled with Tauck.

• I have booked the Yuletide for Dec 6 2023. Thanks for posting all you reviews.

• Leaving tomorrow for Amsterdam, spending an extra night and then the Gift of Time before boarding ms Grace on the 4th for Yuletide Spirit. Got notified today that there was a change to Day 2 so now either a choice of the Rijksmuseum or Zaanse Schans for the morning of Day 2. While Zaanse Schans is very worthwhile, we've been there 3 times, most recently in August 2022 so we'll be doing the Rijksmuseum even though we've also been there a few years ago. The weather forecasts suggest that indoors is a maybe a good option for the day.

• Portolan,

I'll be taking the Yuletide cruise next year, so I will certainly look forward to reading about your experiences. We've been to Amsterdam numerous times but never to Belgium. Have a wonderful and festive tour.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file