Yosemite and Sequoia in October 2021

edited September 2021 in Western USA

Sequoia National Park has been closed for the past month due to fires and looks like by the time our trip starts on the 11th of October it will continue to be closed. What's the plan? Will the trip be cancelled or will it be modified? If modified, how? Please advise.

Comments

• Joe Re
    10:54PM edited 10:58PM in Western USA
    Sequoia National Park has been closed for the past month due to fires and looks like by the time our trip starts on the 11th of October it will continue to be closed. What's the plan? Will the trip be cancelled or will it be modified? If modified, how? Please advise.

Joe, Tauck does not monitor this forum. Unless a fellow traveler has answers, your best bet is to give Tauck a call.

• edited September 2021

Sequoia has been closed for quite some time due to a wind storm that blew down a large number of trees. It was closed when we were at Yosemite in February. It must have re-opened sometime after the wind storm and now closed due to fire or ‘smoke’.

• Tauck sent me a notice on Thursday, Sept. 30. Itinerary changed with main focus around the Yosemite area. Disappointed as I really wanted to see Sequoia, but I'm sure the revised trip will be nice.

• We will spend Thanksgiving at Yosemite … actually a place called the Evergreen Lodge just outside Yosemite. It is located between Yosemite and Hetch Hetchy, which is part of Yosemite. Evergreen was the camp where the workers stayed when they built the dam at Hetch Hetchy, which supplies water, and power for the street cars in San Francisco. The camp still has tent accommodations, but much nicer cabins as well. I’m always surprised to find many Europeans staying there. The place is remote. The road in has no markings and no lights, so arrival at night is not advised. We once drove in and saw a car that had left the road and was up in a tree well off the ground.

• Perhaps you will get extra nights at the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite. We always go there for a drink when we stay at the Evergreen. It is a really nice hotel. They had to buy their name back after the park changed management companies. The previous management had copyrighted the names of all the lodgings. They were in court for a couple years. Everyone still called it the Ahwahnee … just like Squaw Valley will always be Squaw Valley. (;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file