Private Tour of the Isle of Skye

My husband and are going on the seven day "A Week in Scotland Tour" this summer. Afterwards we would like to go to the Isle of Skye for a few days. There are many private tour guides/drivers but we would like a recommendation. Has anyone gone on a private tour that they used and can recommend?
Many Thanks,
Marilyn

Comments

• We do Scotland on our own, but in Inverness we used Viator tours. It was good, leisurely but only went as far as Portree.

• Thanks for your information. Hoping to find someone who can recommend a private or semi private tour of a few days to the Isle of Skye.

• Mowie, you might try asking this on the Rick Steves travel forum. You tend to get more independent travelers on that forum not just ones that take Rick Steves tours. I think your odds of getting an answer are higher. You could also look at what listings Viator has since they are just a tour aggregator (they don't actually run the tours themselves). Just remember that terms - like cancellation policy - can vary from tour to tour. We've had good luck with Viator.

• If you find anything, Mowie, please share it with me, either here or in a private message. I'm planning to spend a few days in Scotland independently prior to my Ireland trip with Tauck in September.

• Thanks for the information. Good suggestion! I will contact RS and Viator although I have gone on a few Viators in the past and they were just so so. I love Rick Steves and when I was younger I went on a number of their tours. They were great! But I can't carry my suitcase, etc. anymore.

• Mowie, I can understand the reluctance to carry a suitcase especially up stairs, etc as you need to do for one of his tours. While this forum is almost exclusively used by people who take Tauck tours, the RS forum has many people who don't take organized tours (including RS) and/or combine them with touring on their own. Also many people who actually live in Europe but like to participate in the forum. I've learned a lot of general travel and country specific info on that forum.

• It’s over forty years since we went to Skye when we lived in Scotland. We were camping, all I can remember are the thousands of midges that surround you in the summer. We ended up sleeping in our little mini. I truly can’t remember anything else, I need to go again but maybe early summer before the midges arrive.

• I'm also going on the Week in Scotland Tour, starting June 5th. When do the "midges" give you a hard time?

• If you're going to Scotland, be sure to watch the series "Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham" with the two stars from Outlander. It just came out on Starz in the US and it's great fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhskGea7zU

• edited February 2022

I believe August is the worst for Midges

Wow it’s amazing what you find when you google…..just read this, it will tell you everything you ever wanted to know and more

https://www.highlandtitles.com/blog/midges/

• Thanks for all the comments and the video! I have seen "Men in Kilts". I think we may pass on going to the Isle of Skye because of the midges. While I know it will be beautiful there, I do not want to deal with the pesky midges. We dealt with them when we were in Iceland and it was very unpleasant!

• Personally, I've only been on Skye in August but don't find the midgies to be much of an issue. I would say don't pass on Skye!! It's truly gorgeous and the landscape is breathtaking. If you can find a reservation at the Three Chimneys, do that as well. Best meal of my life.

• I've used Timberbush Tours out of Edinburgh for Skye before but it isn't private, and I find I much prefer being in charge of my own time up there.

• Once, again, thanks for the valuable information!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file