Back to Back Tours

Smiling Sam - I think you will find this interesting. I've checked the cost of our Rhine and Moselle cruise and the Switzerland land tour that we did last September. The Rhine and Moselle cruise cost $23,880 then and the insurance was $699 per person. The Switzerland land tour total was $17,980 with no additional cost for insurance coverage. So, for back-to-back Tauck tours (within a reasonable time), it seems like there is no additional insurance premium cost for the second (follow-on) tour. Just to make sure that is still Tauck policy, I checked with my TA and received this message back from her.

"I learn something NEW every day! Tauck has confirmed that you needed to pay for both sets of travel protection plans initially on the two back-to-back trips, but now they have removed the cost for the insurance premium off the Magic of Morocco tour and that amount paid just will go towards paying the balance of the tour. In other words, you are only going to pay for one premium of $769/pp which covers both Egypt and Morocco"

As we fly business class, back-to-back Tauck touring is another great way to save money. Leaving from Tucson to any European country costs anywhere from $3200 to $3800 per person for business class. I know a lot of people would prefer not to be away from home for such a long period of time but we think it is worth it, especially with the break in insurance premium expense.

Comments

• edited February 2022

Noreen that is how Tauck dealt.with the insurance both times we did this. On the second tour they charge it on the summary of purchase them immediately rebate it. Same way they handle the Gift of Time. Also both times.we got Gift of Time for both tours.

• Noreen, my wife and i did a back-to-back to italy just before the Covid mess. We were not charged for insurance on the back half and did receive the free night.

• Claudia - This is where I got confused and it first showed up as insurance.
    wildcat03 - With the free night, insurance and airfare for one trip when actually taking two is a great way to save money.

• Regarding insurance on back-to-back tours: I have experienced this several times and was told that if there are more than three days between the tours (check with Tauck - it may be two days) that neither policy will cover those "in-between days" and you have to buy a separate policy (from some other vendor) to cover that period. I ran into that most recently last fall when I did a trip in Greece then went to Italy but spent five days by myself before the Italy trip started. I had to buy a separate policy for that five day period. Tauck does not make this clear but my travel agent learned this exclusion from a Tauck rep.

• I had no idea that the travel insurance with Tauck doesn't include the days in between trips.  We have two days next year on our Egypt and Morocco trip so I need to find out from my TA what other options we have and thank you for sharing this important information.

• The gap between tours hasn't come up for us. The first time there wasn't a gap - one tour ended the same day the other's Gift of Time started. Last year one tour ended on a Wed and the Gift of Time for the second was Sat. I did wonder about it but the agent didn't mention. Maybe we were within the allowed amount. Worth asking about.

• Noreen
    9:58AM
    I had no idea that the travel insurance with Tauck doesn't include the days in between trips.

??
    It depends on the number of days between, but a single Tauck insurance should cover both your Egypt and Morocco trips if you have only two days between.

• I didn't make clear that it also depends on whether you have arranged the free days through Tauck and are staying at hotels arranged by Tauck, etc. In the cases where I had to buy separate policies, I was spending those "non-Tauck" days at some location having nothing to do with Tauck. The point is, if you have more than two days between trips, make sure the insurance will be in effect.