Options

April 2022 trip & Changes to river cruises due to covid

Hoping that this year I will actually get to go on this River cruise.
Just curious what has changed on river cruises due to Covid, meals, excursions etc.
Also can I have the hotel assist with side trip in Paris I’m going in a day early and want to make it to the Pere Cemetary.

Comments

• Options

CATSOOS,

I took a Tauck river cruise in Nov 2021 and did not find the onboard COVID protocols to be overly restrictive at all. Unless in your cabin, masks are required at all times unless you are seated and actively eating or drinking. You will find hand sanitizers at a number of locations throughout the boat. You can order meals from a menu and/or you will be served from the buffet.

There are sporadic temperature checks when leaving for an excursion. Masks are required on the bus, while on the excursions, in hotels, restaurants, museums, et al. Make sure to bring plenty of masks.

Perhaps I am so accustomed to wearing masks that never once did I feel having to wear a mask detracted from the enjoyment of the tour.

The hotel concierge can certainly assist with suggestions on getting to the cemetery, whether by public transit, train, cab or personal driver.

We took the Savoring France tour in 2019 and enjoyed it immensely. We seemed to be endlessly on-the-go but never felt rushed or exhausted. And the food! And the wine!

Have a wonderful trip and please post a review.

• Options

CATSOOS, we are on the April 13th Savoring France trip...are you also? So hoping it will be a great adventure.

• Options

Nancy,

It will be a marvelous adventure. If you are fortunate enough to have Elisabeth, try to stay with her for all excursions. She took a liking to my husband and always steered us to her bus. I shall look forward to your review!

• Options

Nancy, we will be a month behind you, departing May 8. Please report on your tour!

• Options

I am on the April 13th trip going in a day early flying in from Chicago.

• Options

I look forward to meeting you CATSOOS, we are arriving on the 11th from DFW. So excited to dust off our passports and travel again!

• Options

Just went out to check out forms to be filled out and they are in French could figure out how to change.

• Options

CATSOOS,

There should be a drop-down box for English. If not, you'll need to contact Tauck. Good luck.

• Options

We received a lengthy "Before You Go" email from Dan Maher of Tauck yesterday via our Travel Agent. The digital Green Book will come 30 days before. The link for the form included in the email wasn't working but we received the form to fill out today. The great news from both American Airlines and from the French government website is that we no longer have to have a negative test to enter France, as of February 12th...provided you are vaccinated and boosted. That will be a relief if Tauck agrees and doesn't require it. All the angst of travelers getting the test results in time had made me nervous that we would time our tests/results correctly! It's looking encouraging indeed.

• Options

I think you will be tested before you get on the boat, but Tauck may take care of that.

• Options

September 2019 pre-Covid Savoring France tour/cruise guests stayed at the Intercontinental by the Opéra. I see from the Tauck web pages that you may be at that location too. The concièrge staff was excellent,... very helpful. You may be aware that the Père Lachaise cemetery is over 100 acres. It can take quite some time to walk & locate specific tombs of famous people.. Piaf, Morrison, Wilde... Having a cemetery map and planning your visit in advance will save time. Regarding Covid changes... we had a lot of free time (pre-covid) on the Savoring France cruise to wander away from the local and Tauck guides after their daily excursions to explore on our own. Twice I took a bicycle to explore on my own... Lyon has a beautiful bicycle path along the river with easy/close access from the ship. I did this again with free time in Tain l'Hermitage. In contrast, last August/September 2021 during my Tauck Lisbon to Barcelona cruise, we were required to stay with the guides from the time we left the ship until we returned dockside. We did not explore on our own or visit any shops. Our last stop was Barcelona where we had a late afternoon opportunity on the last day to explore on our own. I'm looking forward to a Tauck Douro cruise in June. With or without Covid restrictions.

• Options

Still no luck on the Health Declaration form got link to work but no form and nothing sent in the mail. Tried to contact Tauck via email since phone lines are clogged with trips being rescheduled due to war.

• Options

I have it and can share with you if you can't get it from Tauck. My TA sent it to us to print out and take with us. Nancy

• Options

Thank you Nancy could you please send to me catsoos@aol.com. One less thing for me to stress about.

• Options

My pleasure, CATSOOS

• Options

Nancy - I am not on this Tauck tour, but the Brussels to Amsterdam cruise. However, my wife and I are going to Paris for three days for a belated 20th anniversary (because the cruise and everything was cannceled in 2021) before flying to Brussels for the cruise. So I have been trying to get that form and had the same issues getting it from Tauck. Even called them about it. So if you could email the form to me as well I would certainly appreciate it. mbsoz45@gmail.com. Thanks, Mike.

• Options

Mike, MBSOZ45 just sent you the form. Have fun on your trip and seeing the Tulips, Amsterdam is a great city.

• Options

Got it; thanks!

• Options

Thanks for sharing it CATSOOS…just now reading the forum! BTW, we are both Nancy! You will love the Tulip trip…an all time favorite of ours!

• Options

I’m on the April 6 departure…makes me a little nervous that this is the first of the season. We’re spending a week in Paris before and we’re staying 1 more night in Lyon. Just wondering about lunch on the day of the transfer by train. Are we leaving Paris after lunch or should we plan on eating on the train? Anyone know what time we depart the hotel for the train station?

• Options

When we did this trip in 2016 we had several hours after breakfast to go to the food/housewares building across from the Galleria. 5 minute walk from the hotel. We bought sandwiches and a small bottle of wine. Had a “picnic” on the train. It was very good and a lot of fun. If this is still the plan I’m sure the Tauck director will fill you in the night before. Great trip. Have a wonderful time.

• Options

The train to Lyon takes about 2 hours and they'll likely try to get you there about 3 pm so you have time to unpack, change clothes, get to the reception about 5. So likely you'll need to be back at the hotel by 11:30-1200 for the bus to the gare. Could be earlier as traffic for tour buses in Paris stinks these days and even short drives can take an amazingly long time.

When we did this tour years ago the TD recommended we find a takeout sandwich/meal from somewhere near the hotel and bring it with us. Then again on other tours it looked like the same situation but Tauck actually arranged meals on the train. Either way, the TD will give you info well enough in advance to plan accordingly. I can give you some suggestions on where to find takeout near the hotel if you want.

• Options

Thanks for the quick replies. This is a surprisingly active forum!

• Options

On the TGV day it sounds like just enough time to visit Hermes for my Paris souvenir!

• Options

Gourmet Gal,

I took this trip in 2019 and still have my "green book" (itinerary). Unless Tauck has changed the days, our day three (3) was a visit to Le Cordon Bleu for a hands-on macaron class before taking the train to Lyon. We didn't need lunch since we had those delectable pastries to munch on!

It was on day two (2) in which we had free time from late morning on. We were on our own for lunch and dinner, so that would be the time for you to visit Hermes.

Have a fabulous time!

• Options

I did some google research and the nearest store is Fraubourg Saint-Honore - a brisk 10 minute walk from the hotel. Likely longer depending on traffic lights (unless you like risking death jaywalking). They don't open til 1030 and you may need an appointment. Definitely talk to your TD on this.

Unless you're hard over on a Hermes store, the Galleries Lafayette and Printemps store are about 5 minutes from the hotel on Blvd Haussmann. I love the interior of Galleries Lafayette and it sells all the designer brands. On the top floor is an excellent cafeteria restaurant and some of the nicest souvenirs I've seen in Paris. There are other restaurants as well. They also have a roof terrace for a nice free view of Paris. You could easily walk over on day 2 during your free time. https://haussmann.galerieslafayette.com/en/plan-my-visit/

• Options

Love Love Love Galeries Lafayette. They have the best shoes on the bottom level. I love some of the lightweight Longchamp bags. They are less expensive to purchase in France than they are in the states.

• Options
    edited March 2022

Thanks for the recommendations. I am very familiar with Paris and especially the various Hermes venues. I always have to go to the “mother ship” on Faubourg Saint-Honoré. Not planning on buying a handbag so hopefully no appt. necessary although my local store requires one because of Covid.. Doesn’t look like enough time before the train so I’ll just go 2 days before, after we move over from the Peninsula. We’ll be in Paris for a week before the cruise. Thanks for the Galeries Lafayette tips. I had forgotten about the shoe department!

• Options

I can't wait to go now, also you may want to get your French Vaccination card so you can easily get into restaurants/museums. You can get at any Pharmacy seems to be one close to Hotel. Also the trains I have been on sometimes serve snacks on the train for free or nominal fee. I figure pick up a snack before boarding train looks like we will have time. I did hire a private guide to do the Pere Lachaise cemetery and also the Sacre-Coeur church on the 13th.

• Options

Supposedly France is about to drop the requirement for their vax card which is good since now Americans have to pay 36 euros for pharmacies to do the conversion.

I remember the station has food and there are several mini-marts and bakeries near the hotel where you can pick stuff up. Our TD warned us not to depend on the trains snack bar - price and wait. Just as well since we had a major mix up (train company's fault not Tauck) and part of our group went on one train and the rest of us had to squeeze into the next. We arrived at the ship as the reception was starting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file