Options

An extra day(s) in Banff/Calgary

My friend and I are going on the "Vancouver & the Rockies by Rocky Mountaineer" trip in September. We are thinking of spending an extra day or two after the tour is over in Banff/Calgary. Any suggestions would be most helpful.
Thank you, Marilyn

Comments

• Options

If you are remaining at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, there are many activities to choose from. I would recommend viewing the hotel's website to see what might interest you. We especially enjoyed taking a self-guided canoe ride (in addition to the float ride which is part of the tour) and an indulgent spa experience. You can also take the shuttle into town. Just strolling around the grounds is nice, as well.

Enjoy your trip!

• Options

Calgary, while a pleasant city, has little to offer the tourist in terms of interesting sights and activities. As mentioned, Banff Springs is wonderful with many things to do. However, you are an hour and a half drive from the Calgary airport. Tauck will not provide transportation for you if you stay over in Banff (their extension is in Calgary), so be sure to factor transportation to the airport in your consideration. The Banff Springs hotel isn't cheap either.

• Options

Thank you! 🙂 I did look online last night and read about the activities offered at the hotel and things to do in Banff. Glad you enjoyed canoeing and the spa. Nice! The spa pictures are beautiful and the reviews are great. Did you take the Banff Airporter? Now.. Calgary. After reading a travel review in the NYT, maybe we will also spend some extra time there. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/25/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-alberta-calgary-canada.html
    But I also very much appreciate getting Tauck globetrotters first hand information.

• Options

I presume you have had confirmation that your tour is not one of those that has been cancelled in October? I would hold off a while making reservations for anything in your own time in case they cancel more dates

• Options

Sorry, Mowie, I have no experience with commuting from Banff to Calgary since when we dd the tour (actually it was the Grand Canadian Rockies tour), the post-tour hotel was the Fairmont in Banff Springs. The restaurants are fabulous, too, by the way.

Enjoy your trip and please post a review if you can.

British - Mowie's tour is not the one impacted by the cancelation (at least not as of this posting).

• Options

Thanks for letting me know that the restaurants are great at the hotel!

• Options

You are very welcome.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file