Options

Anyone going 2022?

Last summer we signed up for this trip and it was canceled at the last minute, I’m wondering if anyone is going this summer? Of course, it may be canceled for a different reason this summer. I’m a bit concerned about the war in Ukraine and how it could affect this trip. Anyone else worried?

Comments

• Options

We're on this trip in the fall. Like you, we're keeping an eye out. I assume Tauck will let us (you) know about any change in plans. Our first stop is to the Floriade Expo in Amsterdam, and then make our way over to start the tour. Our thought is that if the trip gets cancelled, we'll head in another direction - Spain, Ireland, something far, far, away. We booked our flights before the rising costs of jet fuel has been passed on to the unfortunate consumer. Praying for peace.

• Options

This is a wonderful tour, I hope you get to go!

• Options
    edited March 2022

Note the fighting is approaching the Polish border; there was a strike only 15 miles from Poland. Sadly today a US journalist was killed in Urpin, Ukraine (not near border). Btw imho this 4+ city tour has always struck me as Tauck trying to do too much at once. In my experience, these cities need more time, 4-5 days each minimum. For instance, I don't see Budapest's famous Central Market on the itinerary, or any free time to squeeze it in. At least there is free time in Vienna, for the Museum Quarter, the Secession Building, Naschmarkt, etc.

• Options

This was one of my favorite tours along with the Tour director we had. We arrived early in Warsaw and did some additional things. There was one more museum we wanted to see in Vienna but did not have time for. We had time in both Vienna and Prague to see the majority of things.
    The so called famous market is just a market, nothing special, I don’t see why people think it is so special unless they have never been to a big food market just about anywhere in the world. The upstairs is just souvenirs, you can find the same anywhere in the streets nearby.
    The aim of a tour company like Tauck is to get you long distances to see places efficiently and in a restricted amount of time without the hassle of planning it all yourself. There are other companies who do these things in more depth, the tours are much longer. In general Tauck just give you a taste of what is there. You can always go back for an extended stay in any of the cities independently. We had planned to do more of that by now if the pandemic had not happened. We have been on Tauck tours that go back to cities we have been to before but there are different sites on the itinerary, Cape Town comes to mind as an example.
    Going to these cities for most people gives a chance to see them all when they might never get to see any of them at all. Most tours are under two weeks long for all sorts of reasons. For us, longer tours would not have worked before retirement when we started traveling with Tauck.
    Tauck did try starting a few tours where they just went to one city, but they were not popular.
    Market Art, have you taken the tour or been to any of the cities? We felt the land tour at least gives more time in each place than the River tour. The TD certainly agreed with that. If anyone is considering land or riverboat, then do the land version and you also get to see beautiful Krakow.

• Options

British, your synopsis about seeing the highlights absolutely hit the nail on the head and was well said.

• Options
    edited March 2022

I know this is a popular tour and I appreciate that Tauck does a great job linking the cultures and history of the region. I prefer to focus on one or two towns at a time, spending several days in each, and that's why I often travel independently. I've been to Vienna three times and Bratislava and Prague once (I found Prague touristy (people coming out of shops and urging you in, maybe b/c I was there in November). I checked the travel times between cities and it's just not for me. My name is MarketArt and believe it or not, I plan my travel around market days and museum hours. My last trip to Vienna included several days in beautiful Graz and Ljubljana. I've also rejected tours b/c of warm weather and too many palaces, castles, fortresses and winery visits. So just saying, we all have different interests and travel styles and while I try to stay open to the new, I don't see anything wrong with a little bit of focus.

• Options
    edited March 2022

MarketArt -- My husband and I took this tour and I completely agree with you. It was our only Tauck tour where I felt like we were in the movie "If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium." I felt like we just ran through Eastern Europe. Everything we saw was wonderful -- just too much. When we came home it was totally mixed up in my head. I have never felt that with any other Tauck tour -- before or since. Because of this -- I have dissuaded several friends from taking this tour. Everybody sees things differently and many people love this one. Just my perspective.

• Options
    edited March 2022

It’s great to see all the different thoughts about the tour. Lots of different things for people to think about before they decide
    When we first started touring with Tauck, they tended to stay three nights in several locations, but people complained and wanted to move on, see more. We certainly would like to stay in some locations a bit longer, but the majority wins I guess. At the time, people wanted to be able to have some meals independently, so Tauck reduced the number of included meals, I don’t think it was to reduce the overall cost of the tour.
    Tauck should research doing themed tours, like castles, or wineries or markets, Market Art. I did have a book that specialized in all the markets in England….the town I lived in had a twice week market that went back hundreds of years.
    A shopping tour might be fun for some people. For me, it would of course be safaris.

• Options

In one of Tauck's surveys I suggested some "themed" tours such as food markets, high-end hotel stays of at least three days such as Sayoy (London), Plaza (NYC), La Fonda (Santa Fe), etcetera. Also farm-to-table eateries and renowned restaurants. I'm sure there are such tours but I am too devoted to Tauck, probably to my detriment.

• Options

British --- Exactly! One of the reasons we chose Essence of South America was that Tauck was the only company (at least at the time) to spend a full day crossing the Andes. I think we used 4 buses and 3 boats. It was an incredible day with scenery I will never forget. When we reached our destination I heard several people in our group saying to each other "Why didn't we just fly???" THAT was the moment it hit me just how difficult it must be to plan itineraries for tour groups.

• Options

Thank you all for your comments. This will be our 2nd Tauck tour (Spain & Portugal was our first) and we hope it will be as special as the first one. I know on our Spain tour, many folks complained about too much time on the bus, too much food, too little time in each stop, etc. As some of you mentioned, we all have different tastes and planning these tours to please everyone is virtually impossible. I hope this trip will wonderful and as pwresq said "praying for peace".
    If any of you have gone on this trip, what are the "must sees" in Warsaw and Prague as we are staying an additional day at the beginning and at the end of the tour.
    Thanks.

• Options

My husband and I are on the April 23 tour…just around the corner. I believe this is our 13th with Tauck, and we trust them completely. Is anyone else here booked on this date? We’re so excited to travel again!

• Options

British, I agree with you. I would even spend more money and travel with fewer folks if Tauck could actually do a full "wine and dine" tour with a real chef as a guide in Europe (e.g. Italy, France).

• Options

If we are interested I guess we should mention it next time we speak to our Tauck rep or suggest on our review paperwork at the end of a tour. Of course, Tauck did try doing their Culturious tours and they do not seem to have worked out.

• Options

British, it would have to be special and I do not think that Tauck is up to organizing something like it. I was on a non-Tauck "wine & dine" in France tour (most of the Michelin Guide 3 star restaurants then in 1986, but not only was it expensive for the 20 of us, but poorly organized. Sigh. It is what it is, but if we had a real chef leading that kind of tour, Italy would be perfect for it (gorgeous food shops in Bologne, Italy I remember from my Tauck northern Italy tour a few years ago. :-)

• Options

My wife and I are along with another couple on the September 24th tour. We are also concerned about how it will it effect tourism in general. Security, transportation, Covid. So close to the horrible loss of life and property in Ukraine.

• Options

Tauck will take it upon themselves to cancel any tour if they feel it’s unsafe. Keep your plans and see how the summer goes. Make sure you understand Tauck’s cancellation policy too, so you can postpone or cancel on your own. My motto is, “If Tauck thinks it’s safe, then it is.” I hope you get to go. I pray this conflict in Ukraine ends soon. So horrible.

• Options

We are scheduled to go on the Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna & Prague tour on Aug.6. We are concerned because of the war in Ukraine, as it has gotten worse and doesn't seem to be ending.
    Has anyone gone on any of the trips that were scheduled there for June and July? Any thoughts?

• Options

We just came back k from Romania and Hungary today. I am still at the airport in Budapest. You will have a wonderful time. There wasn’t anything to be worried about where we were on our river cruise. You can private message me if you would like. Enjoy yourselves.

• Options

Has anyone gone on any of the trips that were scheduled there for June and July? Any thoughts?

We leave next week for the June 11 tour. You may be interested in this article from the Rick Steves site discussing traveling to Poland. https://blog.ricksteves.com/cameron/2022/05/poland-ukraine-crisis/

• Options

Thank you for posting Rick Steves site about visiting Poland. Very informative and helpful.
    We are also leaving on the June 11 tour.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file