Options

Impressions of Classic Italy trip May 4, 2022

This was a glorious trip! The weather gods were in our favor and we were able to do everything on our itinerary. Do go in early for the pre-trip to Capri. We were able to go to the Blue Grotto and it is fabulous!
I arrived an extra day early so I could go to Herculaneum. Driverinitaly was great to work with ( thanks AlanS for the referral). My driver was right on time and the 2 hour private tour was well worth the money. The Grand Hotel Excelsior is a fabulous property, so coming in a day early to see Herculaneum was well worth it. It will enhance your experience in Pompeii. There were 18 of us on this trip, all so happy to be traveling again.
Day 2 was a fabulous day driving the Amalfi coast with stops in Positano and Rovello then back to Sorrento. Dinner on our own tonight. I went with another couple to La’Abate which is a short walk from the hotel. We sat outside and enjoyed an excellent meal. All the local wines are very good, and very reasonably priced. The portions are large, so see if you can do some splitting. I shared the Caprese salad, which had 3 large pieces of mozzarella cheese and the most glorious tomatoes.
Day 3 Pompeii and on to Rome. I was in Pompeii in the80’s before a lot of the statues were moved to the Archeological Museum in Naples. However, this tour does not disappoint. Guide was excellent and while there were lots of people, it felt very comfortable to roam around. After lunch we drove to Rome for 3 nights at The Westin Excelsior. Super location.
Day 4. This morning we had a tour of St Peter’s Basilica. Jaw dropping in every sense. Lots of people there, but not overwhelming. Lunch on our own this afternoon, so a small group of us set out on a walking tour afterwards. Included sites, The Pantheon (reserved ticket required- Get at the concierge when you check in to the hotel. We went at 1:30 which was perfect.) Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. That evening, we saw the Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museums. Overwhelming and amazing. Tauck treated us to a “snack” in the Vatican gardens and it was just right for a light dinner after a very busy satisfying day.
Day 5 Colosseum and Ancient Rome. There is history at every turn. Fabulous tour of the Colosseum and Forum area. Stopped for a quick lunch and made my way to The Jewish Ghetto. The museum is excellent. Rome had a very large Jewish population before WWII, so there is a lot of great information here. The Synagogue is beautiful and still and serves a very active Jewish neighborhood. There is also a small museum across the street focusing on How Italy treated it’s Jewish population. Very sad. Then dinner in the Jewish Quarter. Delicious! Artichokes are in season now- try one fried- a must! It was about 5:00 when we picked a place for dinner, and many restaurants had just finished lunch and were closed to set up for dinner. We picked what was open and dinner was delicious. Desert was divine. That evening out TD made arrangements for whoever wanted to see Rome by Night. Almost all of went. 6 to a van- we were able to get out and take pictures at each stop. Tour included the Vatican, Colosseum and more. It’s worth the cost. 30 Euros per person ( I think).
Day 6 Orvieto. After several busy days it was nice to have time in Umbria. Orvieto Is a charming town. Great shopping and people watching. Then on to Perugia. I loved this town. Hotel is quaint, town is so beautiful. The AC is not on in May, so be aware the room will be warm. I opened my window and enjoyed the sound of the birds, who thankfully did not fly into my room. Dinner at La Taverna. The owner is very personable and the food was great.
Explore the town. There’s lots to see.💕
I’ll post more later.

Comments

• Options

Was there entertainment at La Taverna?

• Options

The entertainment was the owner. He was a hoot. What was your experience?

• Options

Not sure it was the same place, we had a M/F duet.

• Options

Hard to tell from the background.

• Options

thank you franlovestravel for your excellent info. We will be going in October and I found your post very helpful

• Options

Thanks Eleo. I still need to post the rest of the trip. Life has gotten in the way! You’ll have a blast. If you need further info let me know. Happy to share.

• Options

Can you tell me why the Activity Level is 3 on this trip? I can understand the Pace 3. Do you climb a little of hills? Just trying to decide if my back is up to it! Thank you!

• Options
    edited June 2022

Stairs to climb and a lot of walking, including over cobblestones, especially true if you take advantage of your free time.

• Options

I totally agree with Alan. The cobblestones are uneven, so you have to pay attention to where you’re stepping. Lots of narrow streets on inclines and steps galore. There were days I walked well over 6-8 miles. Tours to the different sites-Vatican, Doge Palace, etc require walking, standing and stairs. I always travel with a yoga strap to do back stretches at the end of the day. Plus doing other back stretches keep me going. Tylenol arthritis strength is always my best friend on these trips! I walk at home a lot which helps when I travel. I hope you go, it’s a fabulous trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file