Options

June 28

We are on the June 28. We are from Chapel Hill. Leaving from Charlotte on June 26.

Comments

• Options

We are leaving from Charlotte on June 26 for the same tour!

• Options

How are the buses on the best of Ireland tour small group?

• Options

Standard full size Tauck bus with toilet. No wifi or USB on ours.

• Options

Unlike the ones in the US, these buses have a second door about halfway back which allows for quicker boarding and exiting. There are plenty of extra seat, too, so not everyone on a small group tour has to switch sides partway through the drive around the Ring of Kerry.

I don't know if it has changed, but our bus did not have one of the fancy Tauck murals. :/

• Options

Except in that as you can see from the picture the midpoint door is on the other side. When we've been on those buses they didn't open the second door for safety reasons since it would have you stepping down into traffic. In mainland Europe both doors are on the same side so the driver normally opens both. We frequently use that door since there tends to be a shorter line.

• Options

Yep. I confirm what Claudia said about the doors. In Dublin, we all had to use the midpoint door as the driver had to park on the right side of a one way street.

• Options

What stops does the bus make on the 1/2 day tour of Dublin. We have a couple of days in Dublin before the tour starts. Don’t want to waste time going to places the 1/2 tour covers.

• Options

Not your Q I know, but you can Search several Forum threads on what to do in Dublin if you need ideas.

• Options

Only stops are Dublin Castle and the cathedral. Trinity College library and the Book of Kells not on the tour, but a short walk from the hotel.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Ken from Vegas
    8:47AM
    Only stops are Dublin Castle and the cathedral. Trinity College library and the Book of Kells not on the tour, but a short walk from the hotel.

Wow! It has been six years since we went, but, when did they drop Trinity College (campus. library and Book of Kells)?

When we did this tour in 2016 we went to Trinity College and the "Castle" where we saw some of the few remaining sections of the original castle (Record Tower and substructure) that were incorporated into later structures, the old administrative offices, State Apartments (formal State function rooms, throne room, etc.) some of which are still in use today, but, judging from my photos, we only did a drive-by of Dublin Cathedral.

The old library had a fairly primitive system of cataloging its holdings.

All tours had exited, so I made a quick sprint to the second floor to get this photo of the library with no tourists!!

I'm sure you recognize this fellow. He graduated from Trinity College where he was quite the academic and multi-sport athlete (especially rugby). Early in his career, he worked as a civil servant clerk in Dublin Castle before becoming a theater critic, then a famed author, best known for penning "Dracula."

• Options

I did read that Trinity College is planning a remodeling of the library and the book is supposed to be temporarily relocated but it's not clear what the current situation is.

While at Dublin Castle I recommend visiting the Chester-Beatty library. Admission is free though they ask for a donation. Very well presented extensive private collection of religious artifacts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file