Grand Traverse Resort & Spa

Looking for anyone who took the Michigan trip this year. I have seen HORRIBLE reviews of the first hotel on TripAdvisor. The Grand Traverse Resort and Spa. We have 3 nights here since we are coming the day before. I would love someone to tell us that it is not as bad as most of the reviews. I have been on a many Tauck tours but this hotel looks like the only game in town .

Comments

• edited August 2022

We took that trip in July. It's a very nice hotel with scenic views from the rooms but it's not the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. There were lots of families there enjoying the resort. The golf course is the main attraction. There aren't many hotel options in the area, but you will enjoy the region. Highlights are Sleeping Bear Dunes N. P., a wonderful winery dinner, the music museum, and the sailing trip. Hope you enjoy the tour.

• I wish I had seen this earlier.
    We took this tour (Wonderful!) in 2021and had a very bad experience at Grand Traverse. There was an issue of towels not being supplied and my trip to the desk had me in line with several others with the same problem. At one point, a staffer came out from a back room and began arguing with me, to the point where he was shouting at me across the lobby as I walked away. The night manager took his side, of course.
    Upon returning home after the trip, I received a registered letter informing me that I was permanently banned from the hotel, and would be arrested for trespassing should I ever return! As if i ever would.
    I have framed the letter as a source of pride for me, and shame for them. Broken room phone, no towels, rude and abusive staff...I can't say anything more.

• We tried to book this trip a few years back. We were told by Tauck that the Grand Traverse was unable to book our Gift of Time day ahead of the tour. They said that there were no other choices in the area up to Tauck standards. Since the only available fiights into Traverse City got us in late in the evening (after the welcome dinner), we realized that there was no way we could make the tour work.

We ended up doing the tour on our own, and had a great time. We flew into and out of Detroit and rented a car. In Traverse city, the other available lodgings were all of the small motel variety, so it's understandable why Tauck uses the Grand Traverse. We stayed at a then new Best Western. It was adequate, but the rooms were small and barely accommodated the furnishings.

If you're worried about the Grand Traverse, consider doing the trip on your own, if you're up to it. Don't expect to find any other deluxe accommodations in Traverse CIty, though.

• Traverse City itself has cute shops and some really good restaurants, the dunes are beautiful. We stayed at the Indigo once, which is walking distance to the downtown scene. Not great, but for the area OK. we visit Traverse City often to see friends; they know every one of the Leelanau Peninsula's 27 wineries. :-)

• Interesting that ClaireMc1950 just joined and this is her first and only post?

• The fact that ClaireMc1950 is new to the forum is irrelevant. Looking at trip advisor reviews of the venue, her rendition of her experience seems believable, Why would she lie? Tauck likely has little choice in this area but if that is the case, for the cost, potential travelers should be forewarned! Friends did this area on their own and had a great experience. Nothing fancy and not at this venue. Thank you Claire. I would have been upset also if that happened to us.

• I traveled with Tauck for 7 years before I joined the forum, even though I had been reading it for some time. If I recall, it was because someone made a comment I finally wanted to chime in about. Claire was probably the same. There have been negative comments in the past about this tour and the tour that includes Cape Cod. Okay, you might want to see this area on a tour, but no need to pay Tauck prices when there are few what people call ‘Tauck standard’ hotels, go with a cheaper company who will be staying at the same available hotels….actually, Tauck never ever say they have a standard, they say best available, which encompasses many things, …abilities to accommodate groups, enough staff to load bags on buses, nearness to sites etc etc. it appears there are not suitable fancy quality hotels in these areas, but people still want to visit for the natural beauty in the areas.

• Just my observation- don't read anything into it. I may be wrong, but now I believe you must register to even read the forums.

• Alan, I normally post via my iPad. I occasionally look at the forum on my iPhone and it does not recognize me but I can see everything. It does appear though, that you have to have a reservation booked with Tauck before you can join the forum now, which was not always the case.