Options

Classic Italy 2023

I've posted this elsewhere, but hope to get more responses here. Planning to book Classic Italy for spring 2023, trying to choose between the small group vs. the regular Classic. I know the sizes of the group vary as does the cost. I'm curious as to opinions of the hotels as they are different for each group, as well as the experience itself of the small vs. regular trip. The cost difference for the dates I'm looking at is not bad, and wondering also if it's worth the additional expense. Thank you.

Comments

• Options

Hi Caro.
    My husband and I were just on the Classic Italy Small Groups in May.

We picked the Small Groups based on the full Itinerary write up of both tours on the Tauck web pages and compared the hotels for each.
    It stays at smaller boutique hotels that were very nice. The itinerary is very similar with all the same highlights. What appears to be different in this case is the small concert before dinner at hotel Posta Donini (my favorite hotel on this trip).
    We also got to stay the night in the town of Lucca, where the larger group doesn't even stop there.

One other observation, there is plenty of room on the bus to spread out and it felt more intimate.

• Options

Carol, it's fine to take others opinions on this but I'd recommend researching each hotel independently. I always pull up the hotel website, check it's location on google maps and even use the satellite view to virtually walk the nearby area. I check out the rooms, the amenities, the restaurant menu, etc. For myself, I do like a room with a view and occasionally use the hotel pool but could care less about spa treatments or the hotel bar. We all have personal preferences and that's just fine.

Best wishes on a great tour.

• Options

This is what I do and sometimes it works; and sometimes its doesn't. I am a member of most hotel brands, and I have many points accrued with Marriott. Some of the other hotel brands, not so much but I try. I know I am traveling with Tauck and on tour with them but I still e-mail the hotel in advance and explain I'm a member of their hote, and even include my membership number of that particular hotel. In a syrupy and sweet e-mail to them, I request a room with a view or an upgraded room. This has worked for me on a number of occasions when other guests on a tour have moaned and groaned about their room. Not me. I try and think harder than a 5th grader.

• Options

I was on the Classic Italy trip this May and there were only 18 of us. The Excelsior Hotel in Sorrento is one of the most fabulous hotels I’ve ever been to and the location was divine. The hotels on this trip are all excellent. The Westin in Rome was very outdated, but the location was terrific. I see next year when you’re in Rome Tauck Classic is at another hotel. I’m a solo traveler and always felt that being on the Classic size trip afforded me more new people to meet. The trips I took prior to Covid averaged 28-30 people. So the bus was never packed. I must say, I have really liked the intimacy of the smaller groups since the pandemic, and may do future trips with the small group. I like how Claudia evaluates the difference between the trips to make a decision. Either way, this trip is glorious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file