Heading to the Douro River Valley Aug 3

Greetings. We're veteran Tauck tourists, but on the tour beginning August 3, this will be our first river cruise in any form. Is anyone else on here taking that tour? Any tips from those of you who've done it, or who've enjoyed time in Porto?

Comments

• I was in Porto on Tauck's land tour in May. I really enjoyed it and want to go back. Maybe I'll take your cruise sometime. If you're interested in seeing the Livraria Lello, get your ticket on line in advance. I had done so and saved over an hour's wait in line. Also, avoid going on the weekend if possible. Although I was able to walk right it, it was very crowded and I couldn't fully enjoy it. Porto is full of hills. Be prepared with good walking shoes.

• edited July 2022

If interested you can read my Nov 2021 review of my experiences on the Douro plus stays in Madrid and Lisbon. If your tour does not include the gondola ride in Porto, I highly recommend doing that. Walking along the riverbank is also enjoyable. Enjoy!

August in Portugal is exceedingly hot and with the wildfires there and in Spain, the air quality might not be ideal.

• We did the Douro River cruise in May...not with Tauck, but it was absolutely beautiful. We've done the Rhine River and the Mekong. Each has its own beauty and the Douro didn't disappoint. Quite interesting to go through the locks.

• Lucky you Kevin! On June 28 I posted my review of the Douro. It is titled “Andorinha”. Happy travels.

• edited July 2022

Patrice - Looking for your review but can’t find it?

Found it!

• BSP51 – Click on the posters name, in this case Patrice, then in the right column under Activity click on Discussions. You can find it there under Discussions. Here is a link:

https://forums.tauck.com/discussion/15990/andorinha-douro-plus-lisbon-madrid-06-14-2022

• Can anyone who did the Douro River cruise in May talk about what the weather was like?

• June was cooler than the forecast. Saw just one person try the sun deck pool. Best to layer, add remove as needed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file