Looking for advice/comments from spring 2022 travelers

Is anyone returning from a spring 2022 trip? We'll be traveling in May and would love to hear about your experience.

Comments

• We did the Peru and Galapagos in September, not this spring, but perhaps our experiences will help you. You can see our trip at https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2021-1Galapagos-01.htm

• Thank you for sharing this. It is very well done and very helpful in our planning. Your photos are fantastic. Did you take all of them with your iPhone? I'm debating whether I need to take the phone and my digital camera.

• @MM Walsh - If I remember correctly, I used an iPhone 13 Pro for those photos. The iPhone does good pictures as long as you have good light and are not trying to go really far with the telephoto. At that time, I had a Panasonic Lumix G-85 camera, but I don't think I took it. Depending on what digital camera you have, it might come in handy for some telephoto shots of the wildlife in the Galapagos. The iPhone telephoto shots are not very good.

Since then, I've purchased an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III camera with an Olympus 12-200 zoom lens and I've been very satisfied with the quality of the pictures. Both the Panasonic and the Olympus are 4/3rds cameras so the effective reach of the lenses is doubled. The 12-200mm lens is equivalent to a 24-400mm on a 35mm camera.

I post process each picture in Photoshop Elements before I post them to our blog. I also reduce each picture in size since they load faster on the web and really big pictures are not required for a web page. My maximum size for posting on the web is 1,500 pixels across or 1,000 pixels high.

• MM Walsh, the whole idea of it being exciting to go to the Galápagos Islands for me is that you can stand right next to pretty much any any animal or bird and take their photo, they don’t fear you at all. I’ve been twice and eager to go back again.

• While British is generally correct, there are situations where you're not next to an animal and can't get next to it. That's when a telephoto lens is valuable. You will be able to get close to many of the animals, however.

• My wife and I are on the Hidden Galapagos & Peru tour beginning Sept 24. Our health center has recommended that we never drink water from any source except sealed bottles or take a water purification system with us to purify any other water - including brushing our teeth. How available is bottle water? We think the Silver Origin has water stations which I assume are safe -correct? How about hotels in Peru?

• Almost all modern ships make their own water from reverse osmosis. The Silver Origin does - I asked the chief engineer on the ship. That water is absolutely safe.
    For the Peru part of the tour, Tauck had bottled water for us, and the hotels all provided bottled water. No one on our tour - September 2021 - had any problems at all. See https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2021-1Galapagos-01.htm for details of our tour.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file