Tour costs U.S. vs Europe

For some reason my tablet has decided to take me to the Tauck.UK site when trying to get to the U.S. site. May be because I just enrolled in a new VPN service. Anyway, when on the UK site I checked the Douro with Lisbon & Madrid river cruise.

Although sold out, it shows €7850 for a cat 5 room on the Oct 11, 2023 trip. That’s about $8265 U.S. I’m on the trip at $10,440. Anyone know why booking through the European site would be so much less? The trip has been sold out for that date for several months but this has my curiosity. Thanks.

Comments

• My guess is when the price of the tour was set 1-2 years ago, the USD wasn't as strong as it is now and the prices were more comparable.

• edited December 2022

When I logged on to the Tauck site via one of the European servers the pricing is showing up as Pound Sterling £. At todays exchange rate of £1.00 = $1.22 USD it would be $9577. It is still cheaper than the US rate. I am thinking that BKMD is correct that rates were probably set before the US Dollar started to gain value.

If you are booking any intra Europe flights, it sometimes pays to log into the airline site from a European portal and pay the local rate. We did this for an upcoming Sottish Isles trip next May. We added an extension on our own to London and was able to book British air flights from Glasgow to London for considerably less than adding it to our Delta round trip flights. We paid for the flights in Pound Sterling.

• That doesn’t always work. Some here was booking flights which appeared cheaper than US prices. It turns out the site thought they were from Denmark. When country of origin was correct the price changed, so am unsure what would have happened if they hadn’t changed it. I know bookings have been cancelled due to such errors. I think the days when errors that resulted in big savings were honored, are over. I’m fighting with Amazon right now about one of those situations.