Options

Correcting a horizontal photo on an iPhone for forum posting

I know there has been a good deal of discussion on posting photos which come out as horizontal when they should be vertical. I thought I would post my method of correcting this on an iPhone. I know that many if not most travelers are now using a cell phones as their primary camera. This method is only for an iPhone which is what I use. I am not sure if this would be similar on an Android phone but there is probably a method for that as well.

The example I am using is from our Tauck Italy trip in May 2022 and is a shot at Vernazza, Cinque Terre. There are many instances when a vertical orientation is the best way to capture a picture. Unfortunately, when uploading to the forum they will come out horizontally.

Here is my photo which when uploaded comes out horizontally.

To correct this I first duplicate the photo from within the iPhone photo app. Hit the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner then select Duplicate. This is not absolutely necessary but good practice if you mess up.

Next hit the edit button in the upper right corner.

Next hit the button in the lower right with the arrows followed by the square in the upper left with the arrow. This will change the orientation to vertical.

Next hit done in the bottom right. Although it may seem like it is done now, it is not. You will need to open your saved phone again and repeat the second step above this time hitting the square in the upper left 3 times so the orientation will no show vertical again. After this hit the done button again.

Your photo should now be in the correct orientation for posting.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023

Thanks! Will there be a test on this later? :D

• Options

Will there be a test on this later?

Test is next Saturday at midnight. Unproctored :D

• Options
    edited March 2023

My main difficulty is finding photos in the first place in the small thumb print it shows when you want to post any, especially when you are looking for a trip that was way back when. That is easy when you are just looking on your phone, but with the Tauck icon picture above, it’s difficult. I’m afraid my pics will have to stay sideways. Thank you for all the details, I know others will really appreciate it.

• Options
    edited March 2023

Yes, as I said in an old post and to Jared, it is too much hassle to do on tour, especially when you are uploading more than one or two photos. But it does work. To check, I took this photo w/ my iPad oriented vertically.

I still use a DSLR on tour but download photos to my iPad for posting. I don’t have issues with incorrectly oriented photos regardless of how I was holding my camera when I took them.