Options

A elegant adventure in South Africa

We are booked May 1,2024 First luggage for the small planes. Is this luggage just for the day with meds etc or does your luggage not meet you at the hotel?
Water bottles. Does this Tauck tour have bottled water available during the day. The reason I ask we just a came back from the Canadian Rockies in June with Tauck. This tour was green, no bottles available on the bus. We had to go out in Calgary and buy 2 hydro flasks to add to my overflowing cabinet of them at home
Whether at that time and on what part of the tour can you send laundry out for a speedy clean?Thanks. We are in Phoenix and flying Delta thru Atlanta to Cape Town and back at the end of the tour. Our flight returning does not leave till evening. Do they have any day rooms available? This is our 6th Tauck. Why I have so many questions is beyond me:)Anybody on this departure? Thanks,Sheri

Comments

• Options

I have taken this tour, but it was a long time ago.
    Water bottles…the packing list says nothing about taking your own water bottles, so I assume Tauck is going to give you a reusable one and have a large container of water where you can refill, or they still have single disposable bottles, I assume someone who has taken the tour recently will know.
    I can’t address why you had the experience on the Canada tour. Did Tauck ask you to bring your own reusable bottles on that tour? If they did not, then it was inexcusable to ask you to go and purchase bottles. I’ve never heard of them not having drinks on the bus, did they not even have cans of juice or soda? They clearly state on any tour I have been on that such drinks are available and free. We have often had the choice of a variety of drinks on the bus. Tauck can’t risk people being dehydrated, especially in Africa.
    Laundry…while personally I doubt I would have to do big laundry on the trip apart from a few smalls, the best thing to do is have it ready as soon as you arrive at a new hotel/lodge and have hotel staff collect it from you and it will be ready the next morning in almost every case. You are going in the winter so it’s not as if you are going to be hot and sweaty until you get to Zimbabwe.
    Call and ask Tauck about a day room, if they can’t help, then email or call the hotel directly, maybe you may have to pay a fee. Sometimes Tauck will arrange extra time beyond check out time, especially if all flights leave late in jte day. Unless someone helps you here, it’s best to relieve your anxiety and call Tauck soon.
    Hope these suggestions help..

• Options

I agree with British. I took this tour in early March 2020 before the world shut down. Tauck provided a wonderful water bottle which we could easily refill. I flew to EWR from Joberg at the conclusion of the trip. I did not feel he need for a day room as there was not a lot of time between our arrival in Joberg from Zimbabwe and our departure from Joberg for Philadelphia. There is a wonderful and convenient Intercontinental Hotel located the Joberg Airport, but it would be about $300 for a room. Wishing you a great trip. It was truly elegant in every way.

• Options

We just went on this tour in May. Tauck provided water bottles at the camps. Water on the bus. No need to worry there. Best to do laundry at the camps. It's cheap and gets returned within 24 hours. All the luggage meets you at the hotel and is carried throughout the trip. Exception is on the last part of the tour to Victoria Falls. There you can put a few days clothes into your carry on and bring that only to Victoria Falls. Your larger suitcase can be left at the Johannesburg Airport and you re-unite with it on your way home. No need for a day room going home. By the time you fly from Victoria Falls back to Johannesburg, you won't have too much time at the airport.

• Options

Hi! We are doing this tour in October and I'm curious about the luggage drop at JNB airport when we fly to Vic Falls. It's a tempting idea but how is the luggage held securely while we are touring? Several people have advised us to be sure have our luggage wrapped before we check it for our flight home. Our flight home isn't until 10pm. Opinions/advice please! Looking forward to this adventure!!!

• Options

Tauck keeps the luggage in a secure area. We had 2 suitcases left at the airport-not wrapped and nothing was taken.

• Options

It is very safe and secure to store your luggage with Tauck at the Joberg airport. After reclaiming it you are on your own. It is best to find an orange/shirted/jacketed porter to help you to your airline’s departure counter. Do not allow anyone other than the licensed porters in orange to help.

• Options

Sandy is correct, you will find numerous ‘Helpful’ people trying to help you. Also, never find yourself/selves alone in an elevator with anyone.

• Options

Hi, Does anyone have experience flying from US through Dubai on Emirates and then on to Cape Town? I thought we would spend 2 nights in Dubai to break up the trip and fly back through Dubai, where we will spend a few days. They seem to have the best FF business tickets, but you need to go through Dubai.

• Options

Sandman, I think Mil will be able to help you or PM her, she uses Emirates and has certainly been to CapeTown recently.

• Options
    MCDMCD
    edited August 2023

Sandman, if you've never been to Dubai, it's definitely worth a stop-over. I suggest adding an extra day or two and going to Abu Dhabi as well. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is spectacular.

• Options

We did this on our return trip from Africa. If it is during Ramadan, just about everything is closed during the day but comes to life at sundown. We did a lot of walking, took a tour in an open vehicle and took a camel trip through the desert to a tented dinner (a little cheesy but memorable). Worth a couple of days because we might not get there again.

• Options

Thank you so much for your replies...these forums are so helpful!