Options

K & T safari weather in April

While summer seems to be a popular time to go on safari, has anyone done the Kenya-Tanzania tour during April? How was the weather, regarding rains, cold mornings/nights? We are looking at going in 2024.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023

That part of Africa does not have a summer as it is on the equator. Rather it has dry seasons and rainy seasons. Elevation is high which is why when the sun sets it can be cold.
    I haven’t been during the April time, it’s right in the middle of the rainy season, what is called the ‘long rains’. I was there in December/Jan 2019/2020 when the ‘short rains’ would generally be over, but they were not. Whereas on the Tauck page it makes light of the rains, when it rains, it rains very hard. We found ourselves in torrential thunder and lightening rainstorms a couple of times. One of those was on the way to the Four Seasons. Roads and little bridges were under water, water was raging by, we had to detour. The walking tour near there was difficult walking through squelching grass land. Some of the safaris were in pouring rain. Onetime, we did see a mom and six baby cheetahs, they were drenched. Another time we saw elephants playing in the rain and slipping and sliding, trumpeting away. We saw a male lion looking very miserable with his mane plastered around his face. One of the bush runways was also in water. I’ve been there two other times but in the dry season. It was interesting to go then but my preference is to go in the dry season. You have to research hand decide what is best for you. I recommend watching lots of wildlife shows that show how dramatic the rains are, animal behavior and the landscapes you will encounter.

• Options

Thank you British for the helpful insight.

• Options
    edited September 2023

We are going the last two weeks of May 2024, which is at or near the end of the rainy season. I have talked with two TD’s who I have done K&T with before. One TD said, “I don’t do it in the rain.”. The other said, he thought the rain would ‘normally’ be over by. mid-May. If you look at the pricing, it will give a hint. The tour costs a couple thousand less per person in April than it does in June.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file