Options

West bound 29 November - review

Many of you know I love river cruising and I had wanted to take one of the Christmas market cruises. My husband wasn’t interested so I, along with 4 friends and my sister, headed to Vienna 27 Nov. I’m not going to write a full detailed review of the itinerary but will note some specific info and some details in the itinerary that weren’t clear until we were there.

Weather: In Vienna the weather started us off cold and damp with a few flurries of snow. This continued as we headed up river to Melk with more snow. On Day 4 we headed to Salzburg in a snow storm they hadn’t seen in many years. One of the scariest coach rides I’ve ever had. It lightly snowed all day there and we had to do a lot of walking in slushy snow and cold water. My boot weren’t waterproof. For the rest of the tour we didn’t get snowed on but did have very cold temps – below freezing – though actually the walking got easier in each town.

Dress: Easily the most casual dress tour we’ve had with Tauck. The most important thing is to be warm and dry from head to toe. Sweaters and jeans/leggings very popular. Even on board you want to be able to layer if needed. Due to the very cold temps we had, the ship interior could be very cool. There was one dress up night – the Chef’s Signature dinner – where dress ranged from your favorite Christmas sweater to very blingy party wear.

The Ship: The ship was decorated from stem to stern with greenery, trees and the most amazing gingerbread structures in the lounge. Arthurs had Gluhwein, stollen and gingerbread available most of the day. And in the lounge more gingerbread and several hot drinks including excellent hot chocolate. The on-demand movie system had a few holiday favorites.

Note: Daily printed schedules are no longer put on your bed at night. We got one the first night which included a QR code that allowed you to download the detailed schedule to your smart phone. It mostly worked well and if you didn’t like it they had printed dailies on the CD’s desk.

Tour Hotel: We spent one night at the Hotel Imperial. It’s a lovely old building very well located to get to the numerous Vienna markets and museums easily. For fun our group toured each other’s room. They were all different but all lovely, large rooms and most had both shower and tub. The heated bathroom floors were appreciated. As solo travelers I don’t feel any of us were short changed. There is an ATM in the building. Possibly not the best rate but very convenient.

Guides vs Markets: This tour includes most of the standard sights included in other Danube tours. Since I (and others) had been to them, it was fine to skip the guided tours and head to the markets if that is your preference. Just let the guide or TDs know.

Category 1 Cabin: We each booked our own cabin and due to Tauck’s policy didn’t have to pay any single supplement. The room size and amenities were fine. The shower is small and it was a bit of a trick to keep from getting water on the bathroom floor. The small windows were never a problem since the days were so short. However, the noise level is definitely louder than being on the Ruby Deck where my husband and I normally have a cabin. I’m a light sleeper and several times had trouble getting a full night sleep. I don’t think I’d ever again choose a cabin on the lower level - even the nice roomy lofts.

Day 1 – TDs available in the lobby from 9-12 to answer questions and provide luggage tags which had to be ready for pickup at 10. We met back at the hotel at 3 for the ride to the ship. Safety briefing and reception started at 5 followed by a buffet dinner at 6. The only night it was buffet and only so that we could be ready to go to the market at Rathausplatz at 8. Back by 10.

Day 2 – we left at 9 for Schonbrunn palace for a guided tour. The market doesn’t open until 11. Tauck had given us 10 euros to buy an ornament for the lounge tree and a voucher for a free hot drink and the mug is comes in. We left about 1215 and headed back into the city center for lunch at a palace. As others have said, this lunch really takes too long especially since most of it is a buffet. There was a nice children’s choir that sang for us and you could leave early. Multiple shuttles back to the ship starting at 3:30 though I think most went back on the first one. We were all pretty cold and tired.

Day 3 – since it was cold/snowy and I had seen it before, I skipped the tour of Melk in the morning. You could take the bus up to the abbey and walk back if you wanted. The afternoon is spent cruising. For additional entertainment, one of the TDs gave a German language lesson (funny) and then we had a gingerbread decorating contest (funny and messy).

Day 4 – even if the weather had been nice, the drive to Salzburg is long. With the snowy weather conditions it took us longer. It’s a nice town - especially with the market and other shopping – so worth it. Our guide walked us from the bus drop off to the center and we could stay with him or head to the market which we did. We then met back with the TDs for the funicular ride up to the fortress. Lovely rustic lodge and the food was good but as with the previous lunch, so some people opted to leave early. We met back at 3:15 and were back on board about 6:30. Very glad to get warm and dry again.

Day 5 – options for Passau were to leave early for a guided tour of the town at 9:30 or an orientation tour at 10:30. No bus is needed. Both ended at a church where a gingerbread talk with samples was given. The guide took us back to the market area where she bought us hot drinks (we didn’t get to keep the mug) and Tauck had given us vouchers for 18” sausages which were delicious. All aboard was at 3:30 though most were on board in time for lunch. In the afternoon there was a wreath making class in the lounge and dinner that night was the Chef’s Signature. Most people wore dressy clothes or Christmas attire.

Day 6 – we arrived Regensburg and had several options including a tour of the Thurn/Taxis palace, a city tour or did you own thing since you’re docked right next to the city center. I had been thrilled to find the city has a Dachshund museum a very short walk from the ship and near the city markets. As a dachshund owner this was fun. For lunch you could stay in town or return to the ship. At 2:30 the coaches left from the ship to take us to the private market at the palace. The town group met us there. We had about 1 ½ hours. After dinner there was a dance party and the TDs had set up a photo booth with props.

Day 7 – our last and largest market was Nuremburg. We started the day cruising the Main and had a Christmas Brunch at 1030. The Main had lots of locks so to save time they bused us to Nuremburg. You could go on the tour of WWII sites, a medieval city walking tour or just the short bus tour. Shuttles from the market left at 4:15 and 5:15. We took the 4:15 and the ship had just arrived in Nuremburg. Our last dinner on board followed by a Chocolate Extravaganza after.

Day 8 - obscenely early departure for Nuremburg airport - 3 am for a 6 am flight.

Comments

• Options

Great review Claudia and a great trip!

• Options

I’m a doxie mom and loved the Dackel museum in Passau.

• Options

Lissa, I saw it on the Passau map then got told it had moved to Regensburg. Thankfully easy to get to from the ship.

• Options

Claudia - ... My husband wasn’t interested so ...

Your husband sounds brilliant! 😂

• Options

Claudia Sails…thanks for the information about the move, I just read why they moved and hope to visit their new shop in Regensburg someday.

• Options

Well Sam, I had a week of fun, someone to clean my cabin, and a chef to cook for me. He was home alone getting his own meals and taking care of a temperamental dachshund.

• Options

Claudia - And still your husband's week still sounds better to me (see below). 😂

" He was home alone" - translated equals, no one to share the remote with
    "getting his own meals" - translated equals, lunch and/or dinner at the local sports bar everyday

Also, no snow and no daily shopping for "chotskis" (granny, dust collectors)

• Options

This made me laugh. Both sides of the coin are true.

• Options

Yep, but he got snow anyway Sam. Remember, we live at 7,000 feet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file