Options

QUESTION ABOUT THE TRINTY LIBRARY

Going on this tour May 21, 2024. Spending several days in Dublin prior to the trip. Does anyone know if Tauck stops at the Trinity Library & the book of Kells on the first day of the tour? Just trying to plan my first couple of days.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 19

When we went on that tour in 2018, we went to the Trinity Library on the day after the welcome dinner, which I suppose you could call the first day.

• Options
    edited April 19

It appears a visit to Trinity College does not appear in the 2024 itinerary. The old version of this tour used to go there to see the Long Room and Book of Kells. However, only two (facing) pages of the Book of Kells are on display at any time (changed daily) in an armored, hermetically-sealed, glass display case. It was installed in a new case in 2020 which is located in the college’s refurbished treasury room. Photography is not allowed. There is an extensive multi-media display nearby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU3TfJ5wB7I

In view your impending trip, I would investigate and book a visit and viewing ASAP if possible.

• Options

Thank you all for your help.

• Options

We were there is 2022 and went on our own as it was not included in Tauck. It is definitely worthwhile. Suggest you make reservations

• Options

It was not included in 2023. I went on my own (booked a student-led tour of Trinity on line). At the time (in August), the Long Room was being cleared of books because of planned restoration, but the Book of Kells was still in the library. I don't know whether Trinity plans to display the book in an alternate venue during restoration. There is a separate exhibit about the Book of Kells on campus.

• Options

I honestly got more enjoyment out of the Chester Beatty library/museum than the very brief crowded view of the Book of Kells. The library is free, located on the grounds of Dublin castle. Loads of interesting religious artifacts.

• Options

I would agree with Claudia. When we went, the Trinity Library was very crowded and one Asian tour group would not move away from the Book of Kells to allow others to see it. It was interesting to see the Long Hall, but, again, it was so crowded that it was hard to enjoy the view.

• Options

We took this tour last year and did not have the Book of Kells on the itinerary. We went on our own to the Chester Beatty library which was really nice. There was so much to see from various cultures. Consider that as an alternative or addition to the Book of Kells.

• Options

I spent my free time hanging out with Bram. :D

• Options

Was that Bram Stoker? He died in 1912. But maybe you mean one of his books.

• Options

Kilmainham Gaol museum tour was my most meaningful experience so highly recommend it.

• Options
    edited April 20

The Book of Kells presentation is different than previous visitors would have seen. The long room of the old library has been mostly stripped of books and they now feature a projected light show. Google "book of Kells experience" for more information and to book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file