Options

Classic Italy July 12, 2017

Leaving from JFK, arriving on the 11th and planning to see Capri. Anybody else going on this trip and getting their a day early? This is our first Tauck tour, and my first trip to Italy. We are both excited to be seeing so much of the country with Tauck. Bob and Nicki

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Been reading a lot of posts about the Classic Italy trips and want to say thank you to so many of you for the tips on what to do in the various towns we visit. Getting to Sorrento a day prior to the tour to do the round island boat tour of Capri. Interested in taking a trip to Pisa from Florence- how much time is needed for this trip? Is it better to go the second day in Florence after the Uffizi tour?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    BobTeach wrote:
    Been reading a lot of posts about the Classic Italy trips and want to say thank you to so many of you for the tips on what to do in the various towns we visit. Getting to Sorrento a day prior to the tour to do the round island boat tour of Capri. Interested in taking a trip to Pisa from Florence- how much time is needed for this trip? Is it better to go the second day in Florence after the Uffizi tour?

We did it during the free afternoon on the second day in Florence (Small Group, May/June 2016). Although you might miss dinner, you could also do it just as easily on the first full day in Florence. We left at about 1230 after the guided tour of the Uffizzi and a quick lunch (slice of pizza?). The car trip took about an hour each way. The car, a Mercedes, arranged months earlier through DriverinItaly, picked us up at the Brunelleschi Hotel and drove us to Pisa. He parked very near the gate to Piazza dei Miracoli and gave us our pre-purchased tickets- a MUST, especially during the busy season. We could have purchased them online (see link) but figured the driver/company would have a better feel about tafffic, roads, and how long it would take to drive there on the day we went. We still had to get in a line in front the ticket building 100 yds from the tower (see map in FAQ at link) to check my camera bag and wife's purse- lockers are provided (NO BAGS ALLOWED* when climbing the tower)- before getting in another short line (more of a gathering) to climb the tower at the designated time. Take that into account when purchasing tickets.

We were given a brief, multi-lingual introduction by a docent inside the base before being allowed to climb. We did not go into the Baptistry, Composanto, Sinopie Museum nor the Museo dell' Opera del Duomo (museum) which was still undergoing restoration and not open, so all we saw were the insides of the tower and the Duomo, and, of course we walked the grounds. We also took the typical cheezy photos holding up the tower. We did not go into town- not enough time.

You can buy tickets online - follow either link above, "Tickets can be purchased online between a maximum of 20 days (GMT) and a minimum of 1 day (GMT)prior to the date of the visit, subject to availability. Payment may be made only by debit/credit card (VISA, MASTERCARD) and the euro is the only currency accepted."

We got back to Florence about 1700 and went to the very nice, new Florence Duomo Museum (behind the Duomo) where Ghiberti's famous Baptistry doors can be seen along with other neat stuff. We toured that until it closed at 1900, before dining on our own. (if you have combo Duomo tickets and haven't seen the Baptistry yet you have time to do that also. It closes at 1830) It sounds complicated but we had it all planned out and everything went like clockwork without being rushed.

* I believe the website said no large bags, but when we went in 2016, no bags of any kind were allowed.
  • Options
    Great information, I appreciate your reply. Thank you AlanS, your various posts have helped me to plan this trip.
  • Options
    Did this tour last Sept. it was fabulous. We had a great TD. Whitney, she knew each stop inside and out.
    Girls there is some great shopping . But if you like it buy it when you see it. We got some great leather purses
    In the smaller places as well as Florence. Tauck and other tours will take you to specific retailers. However,
    Since you have some free time in Florence I would shop the markets and the smaller shops. You can find some great leather there.. also, she recommended some restaurants that were great.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file