Edinburgh, Whisky distiileries

Any ideas on how to get to the many whisky distilleries near Edinburgh and making it back to see Tatoo in the same evening? Any recommendations ? Two couples trying to plan ahead.

Comments

• There is one on the street leading up to Edinburgh Castle. We visited there on the England, Scotland and Wales tour. I don't recall the name but Tauck should be able to tell you.
  • If you are looking for a tour that goes out of Edinburgh to local distilleries I'd suggest searching through the Rick Steves travel website on their forum. You tend to find more independent traveling threads than here where it's more about the Tauck tour itself.

If you are looking for Whiskey actually in Edinburgh there are several shops. The one mentioned MWTravel is the Scotch Whiskey Experience (apparently known to the locals as "Malt Disney") located very close to the castle/stands where the tattoo takes place.

My Rick Steves current guidebook recommends these shops on or near the Royal Mile:
    Cadenheads Whisky shop 172 Canongate
    Whiski Rooms Shop - 4 North Bank St

Further away:
    Scotch Malt Whisky Society - 28 Queen st - New Town

We're doing Scotland/Wales/England this summer so I've been reading up. I love the luxury/ease of a Tauck tour but R.S. has great travel books, videos, website, etc. I love the Malt Disney name. Can't wait to see if it lives up to the schmalzy-ness the name implies.
  • My husband and I are on the August 3, 2017 trip Ireland and Great Britain. we are taking two private 3 day tours each to whiskey distilleries after the trip. We are going with Tenon Tours. We are going to Isle if Islay and Speyside.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file