Treating clothes with Permethrin

Any tips about how one does this?Do you treat all the outer clothing?

Comments

• edited May 2017
    You'll get instructions with the product but it is up to you how you want to do it. Google Sawyer's Permethrin.

You spray or spritz the Permethrin on the exterior of your clothes before your trip. Since mosquitoes are rarely able to bite through clothing and I layer, I applied Permethrin lightly to the entire surface, but focused on middle sleeves (roll-ups) and cuffs, collar/neck area (outside only), and pants leg openings and zip-off areas. Some people spray their shoes. The instructions will tell you how much to apply ("lightly moisten the fabric"). Once dry, it is odorless and won't stain clothing.

Permethrin is toxic to cats when wet and shouldn't be breathed by humans, so take proper precautions when applying it. I wore a mask and sprayed our clothing outdoors. Once it is dry it is totally safe, much safer than DEET. Another good thing is that it remains effective through several (up to 6) washings.

Watch the video and read the instructions on the Sawyer's Permethrin product page on Amazon.

IMG_1486r.jpg

• Alan S, your great photo has me makes some comments for readers. You should have also been wearing gloves and have all your exposed skin covered while doing the spraying, then you should have removed your clothing carefully and either thrown them away or immediately put them in the washing machine and laundered them separately. We lays keep lots of old clothing for all jobs that involve chemicals and often dispose of them after a job like this.
    On our initial Africa rour, we sprayed our clothing all over, but on our following tours we also just sprayed around the openings of clothing as Alan suggests, otherwise it takes a huge mount of Premethrin.
  • In reality the mask I used (my paint spraying mask) was overkill. A paper/cloth one would have been fine- they didn't even use a mask in the Sawyer video at the link. I did some research and in addition to re-reading warnings, I looked at buying in bulk. I was surprised to learn, that unlike DEET, skin absorption is minimal and Permethrin is one of, or the active ingredient, in many head lice treatment shampoos!

I forgot to mention, the hardest part of applying Permethrin, is squeezing the pump spray- my fingers/hand cramped up : )
  • Thanks Alans and British
    Excellent information.Not a bad idea to cover all skin surfaces while spraying.
  • We also sprayed our stockings on the outside. It works so well against insects, mosquitoes, that we plan to do it again for our 2019 visit.