Options

Travel Forums Missing (Again!)

2»

Comments

• Options
    This is insane. It’s a shame that we can’t send the spammers a few million bogus emails and plug up their systems. Sweet revenge!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    BKMD wrote:
    In a perfect world (even an imperfect one), all these forum navigation gymnastics shouldn't be necessary.
    If one can't get to the topic in a click or two, it gets dreadful to use. Users must be appalled with the frequent spammers, and difficult to locate Forum Topics. Tauck, please give us a world class website that mirrors your amazing trips.
  • Options
    AshvEd -

Tauck is rolling out a new website, scheduled for mid-2018. Hopefully, the forums will improve then.

They also have rolled out an app which looks like it will be great. Basically, as I understand it, it will provide all or most of the stuff you got as handouts from your Tour director. They're rolling out the content on a trip by trip basis. I installed it and so far it just says that the information for my upcoming trips (this summer) is not available yet.

So keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully, the new website will include faster response time from the servers.

Ken
  • Options
    AshvEd -

Tauck is rolling out a new website, scheduled for mid-2018. Hopefully, the forums will improve then.

They also have rolled out an app which looks like it will be great. Basically, as I understand it, it will provide all or most of the stuff you got as handouts from your Tour director. They're rolling out the content on a trip by trip basis. I installed it and so far it just says that the information for my upcoming trips (this summer) is not available yet.

So keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully, the new website will include faster response time from the servers.

Ken
    Ken. Where do we find the app? Sounds like a great idea. The new website and Forum fixes can’t come soon enough.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Wow, how come I never heard of the app? I downloaded it to my iPad but apparently our April 12, Blue Danube "trip is not available within the app yet.", or the app no longer works. Here is the link to the info page- note, the video, narrated by Peter Tauck, worked on my iPad but I couldn't get it to run on my PC. If what Peter describes comes to fruition it will be fantastic! Tons of great features!!

The few reviews on Apple's App Store reveal it was working last August and in December, but there are major issues. And who knows how many trips are "available" and how soon before your departure. That is a lot of info to organize and upload, though I suppose it is being done by a contractor!
  • Options
    I thought that something brand new existed. I have the app and none of our three trips show up. When it is operational it should be a great tool.
  • Options
    You can find the app in the Apple App store, if you have an iPhone. Easy to download, but same info as on the website for your specific tour. As you get closer to your trip, I believe (and hope!) more details will be accessible. It is a nice app!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    You can find the app in the Apple App store, if you have an iPhone. Easy to download, but same info as on the website for your specific tour. As you get closer to your trip, I believe (and hope!) more details will be accessible. It is a nice app!

Tauck Tim says people should get a notification when their tour is closer and it has been installed, but the project is still a work in progress. Also, along those lines, you will likely be unable to use the app if you don't have a pending tour or are not on a tour. Watch the video at my link- once fully up and running it should be fantastic.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    For android users, the app is available in the Google Play store (as you might have guessed).

I first heard about it in the Tauck Connections promo mailer they sent out around Christmas time. There's a whole page on their eTauck initiative to improve their website and roll out the app. Tauck says that they are rolling out the app on a trip by trip basis (not sure what that means in terms of a timetable). They say they will inform you before your trip "if the app is available for your journey." So I take that to mean that only some trips will have the app ready for their trip. At a guess, the most popular trips will be done first.
  • Options
    Just getting back in the Forum groove after a sojourn in Maui. I downloaded the app, and, lo and behold, there were my two upcoming trips! Wow! Alan, you should be relieved that they have a days, hours, minutes and seconds countdown to each of our trips! It appears to have a bunch of excellent info. It is making me feel as if I need to get moving! I haven’t begun to explore all of the info on the app, but it looks like this is going to be a great resource! More later after I do some exploring!
  • Options
    joycesw wrote:
    Just getting back in the Forum groove after a sojourn in Maui. I downloaded the app, and, lo and behold, there were my two upcoming trips! Wow! Alan, you should be relieved that they have a days, hours, minutes and seconds countdown to each of our trips! It appears to have a bunch of excellent info. It is making me feel as if I need to get moving! I haven’t begun to explore all of the info on the app, but it looks like this is going to be a great resource! More later after I do some exploring!

But, but.. your trips are after mine, aren't they? I logged out and logged in again, and it appeared to be downloading trip info, but nooooooo : (
  • Options
    Right about timing...wonder how they are determining order...we don’t go until May. Again, just glancing, it has great info...sights, dining, etc. much like Trip Advisor, only is is tailored to that specific trip..wow! Will examine it more tomorrow.
  • Options
    Our next trip is in April and it hasn't shown up yet. Looked at the video posted with Peter and it looks like an amazing app and hope to see our trips on the app soon.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    AshvEd wrote:
    Our next trip is in April and it hasn't shown up yet. Looked at the video posted with Peter and it looks like an amazing app and hope to see our trips on the app soon.

We are on the Blue Danube in April (81 days), but it is not on the app yet either.

From what I understand, travelers will only be able to see a trip if they are booked (or on-tour) and then only a few weeks before departure, at least during the roll-out. I hope when all trips are eventually uploaded, Tauck will make them accessible immediately after a traveler has booked the tour. I hope they don't make us wait until we have made final payment, although I can see there might be a reluctance to release it on initial booking. The app might be helpful with trip planning- restaurants, spare time activities, etc. I do it all on paper now, often before booking- I make an MSWord book. I start with the Tauck itinerary and meals, then add info about flights, excursions, private tours, local attractions, restaurants, and color photos pulled from the internet of places and things we will see - a lot of the stuff that will be included in the app.

There are a large number of Tauck offerings in any given time period- so it is a huge job to get it all posted, at least the first go-round. After that, all it should require is routine maintenance- updating with itinerary changes, restaurants, and new tours. It will still require a fairly big investment in time and people. The websites of many small companies often suffer because after it is initially uploaded they don't have or devote enough resources, manpower (in-house or contracted) or funds, to keep it current. I hope they include a means to submit recommended changes or updates. Updated info might affect your choice of excursions. e.g. Romantic Germany- Museum Island guided tours in the Berlin- one of the world famous stars of the Pergamon Museum, the Pergamon Altar, is closed for a multi-year building improvement project. Luckily I discovered this fact before we went (the Ishtar Gate from Babylon and the Market Gate of Miletus were still viewable and nearly as impressive).

I forgot to ask Tim if there will be a version for Windows, so I can check it out on my laptop.
  • Options
    joycesw wrote:

Countdown clock and weather too. I might need to redo the little travel section of the homepage I built for my laptop. : )

homepage_capture.jpgafrica_temps.jpg