Options

Canon DSLR camera - what level of zoom?

I'll be traveling to Australia/NZ in March. I love taking pictures on my Canon DSLR and making Shutterfly photo books afterwards. I do not like bringing 2 lenses along - one for 18mm to 135 mm and one for 70 mm to 300 mm. When we did Tauck's safari to Kenya I was constantly switching lenses and it was worth all the effort. When we did Tauck's Blue Danube and Tauck's Israel/Jordan, I mostly only needed the standard 18-135mm lens. For those that have been on this trip and like taking lots of pictures, do you have any recommendations on whether a zoom lens really is needed? I am debating buying Tamron's new all-in-one 18 to 400 mm lens, but it is big $$$, and I'm not sure if it is needed for this trip. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    When we took this trip I used a Sony NEX-6 with a 27-300mm and it worked just fine. Some of the scenery shots are best with a wide angle. There are far less animals on this trip as compared to safaris. This entire trip is amazing and the South Island of New Zealand is just spectacular.
  • Options
    I haven't done AU/NZ, yet. Before our K&T safari I had planned to take my Canon + 2 lenses like you, then I got a second body so I wouldn't have to swap lenses. I realized that would be too much to carry and not a good solution for me. So I bought a Tamron 16-300 mm lens based on a forum recommendation. It worked great on safari and for every trip since then: Best of Italy, Best of Ireland, Peru & Galapagos, and Romantic Germany. I use it exclusively all the time and it is now the only lens I take on our trips.

The Tamron 16 - 300mm is a hundred less than the 18-400 mm at B&H ($549 vs $649). I thought it was a bit too much also, but am so glad I saved up to buy the 16-300 mm.
  • Options
    I did this trip in Oct-Nov of 2017 and used the Tamron 28-300 on my Canon. I bought this lens on the recomendation of Scott Kelby, an author and lecturer on Digital photogrpahy, Lightroom and Photoshop. He said at one of his seminars that this is the lens he uses on vacation, rather than lugging the heavy Canon lenses. I shoot with a 5D Mark IV which is a full frame camera as opposed to the APS on other Canon models. Make sure you buy the lens that will work with your Canon, but I follwed Scott Kelby's advice at his lecture on travel photography and have great pictures from the Australia New Zealand trip as well as other trips to Asia and Europe. He also recommends the R strap, instead of your Canon strap, as the R strap keeps the camera cross body, upside down at your hip, so it is out of the way and ready to grab and shoot. Found this a lot better than having the camera around my neck all day and standing out from my fat stomach! I really found his advise to be invaluable, as the pictures you take will not make National Geographic, but will give you great results which I have blown up to as large as 4' x 6' from Whitewall in Germany. Another great resource you should look into. This is a great trip and you will love it; don't let the photography interfere with enjoying what you see and experience. Have fun!
  • Options
    I am a hobbyist and only take photos for my enjoyment with a Canon Eos Rebel T3i with an 18-135 lens. I also have a 70-250 lens, which I rarely need or use. We just returned from this trip and I only pulled out my long lens once. I made a photo book of our pics through Apple’s Photos program on my Mac, and it turned out great. I also used an R strap, which I found invaluable. It made it much easier to carry my camera around. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sigma has an 18-300mm lens that has been lowered in price to $399. However, if you're just going to do photo books, I think you can get by with your 18-135mm. If you need to get closer than that, just crop it in post. For photo books your should still have plenty of pixels left for that purpose.
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone who commented. It gives me more to think about. I do have the R strap. I saw a woman with this on in Africa and I immediately got it for my next trip. Cross body is the way to go since the camera is mostly out during touring. I am going to bring just one lens, but I will get an "all-in-one." I can't give up the option for zoom. . . you just never know. Thanks for the thoughts on only going to 300 mm. I will compare those 2 lens.

Now, any suggestions on your carry-on? Did you take just a camera bag or put your camera (and bag) into something else? I don't like to have a lot of weight on my shoulder, so I am always debating buying a small roller bag (that would fit under an airplane seat). Any thoughts?
  • Options
    My carryon/backpack with change of clothes, Rx's, electronics and camera gear has been a Tom Bihn Tri-Star. I have been using this for the past 5-6 years and it has served me well. It has a shoulder strap, backpack straps and carry handles. Fitted inside the bag is an optional light weight day Packing Cube backpack that I take my camera gear in while out on adventures. For my camera I have a wrist strap and cross body strap. I use corded TSA locks to keep the bag secure while in a hotel room.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    CatLover8 wrote:
    Thank you to everyone who commented. It gives me more to think about. I do have the R strap. I saw a woman with this on in Africa and I immediately got it for my next trip. Cross body is the way to go since the camera is mostly out during touring. I am going to bring just one lens, but I will get an "all-in-one." I can't give up the option for zoom. . . you just never know. Thanks for the thoughts on only going to 300 mm. I will compare those 2 lens.

Now, any suggestions on your carry-on? Did you take just a camera bag or put your camera (and bag) into something else? I don't like to have a lot of weight on my shoulder, so I am always debating buying a small roller bag (that would fit under an airplane seat). Any thoughts?

I try to travel light- during flights I carry my DSLR w/16-300mm lens, sometimes a GoPro, headphones, magazine or two, an iPad, and small personal items (glasses, Kleenex, lens cloth, etc.) in a "man purse" with shoulder strap usually worn cross chest. Picture a courier satchel/messenger bag like this one, but slightly smaller, from Fossil. The outside is made from a dark tan (so doesn't show dirt. : ) ) soft but durable canvas-like material. The fabric-lined interior has a soft, non-rigid divider that creates two main areas, all covered by a big flap. Also inside is a zippered pocket. There is a large zippered pocket and two small pockets with flaps on the outside. It has no rigid structure so is essentially flat when empty. (My wife carries a purse plus small soft bag for magazines and a few articles of emergency clothing for both of us, and misc. personal items.) While on the bus, in a safari vehicle, or walking tour, I just carry my camera and headphones (to use with with the Vox). If a long bus journey is scheduled I will take the iPad and cord to transfer photos from my camera to view when there isn't much to see along the route. If rain is forecast, I will throw in a packable rain jacket. I have used it for the last 7 Tauck tours. Choosing a bag can be a very personal decision and you may end up going through a number of different styles before you find the right one for you.

At Machu Picchu with the ruins and Huayna Picchu in the background (we are discussing whether my 16-300 mm lens has an "adds 10 lbs" or "adds 5 lbs" setting : ) ):

IMG_5233r.jpg
  • Options
    CatLover8 wrote:

As Alan says, the type of bag is a very personal thing. I use my husband's old camera, so I just carry it in a small cotton drawstring bag, that's it's only protection! When I am on a tour, I just put it into my daytime backpack that is a thin nylon bag with shoulder straps and an alternate carry on handle. It's been thrown on the floor of safari vehicles and been really dirty, but is washable. My camera has no dings or dents despite this. When I am flying to our tour, I put my camera in my fabric lightweight backpack, I have several, bright colored ones. I carry everything in there I feel I might need if my big bag is delayed or lost, so often have two changes of clothing, a swimsuit if one is essential for the trip and even an extra pair of shoes, along with camera, iPad, drugs, book. I carry a small lightweight handbag with the usual things found in a woman's handbag--- I guess Americans call this a purse, but for me, a purse means the thing I carry my money in.
    For us, it is essential that we do not have a wheeled carry on. We like to have both our hands free while negotiating airports. So I have my backpack on my back and my handbag crossways over my shoulder. This way, if we have to dash from one plane to another, we can easily run. We have to do this so often these days. On our last trip, our first of three flights was cancelled, so had to run for the second flight, that one was delayed, so had to run for the third. Get the picture!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Alan S - I have got to find that "adds 10 lbs." button on my camera and TURN IT OFF!!!! The hunt for the carry-on bag is on!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file