Options

Trying to decide between Elegant Africa & Botswana, S Africa , Zambia

Hello
We are looking at both of these trips. If anyone has been on both or even one I would love to hear about the trips.
We usually travel to Europe and have never done anything like Africa. Comment on things like - the pace, the accommodations, variety and just overall pros and cons. Thank You ????????????

Comments

• Options
    We took the Botswana, Zambia and S. Africa tour Aug. 26th last year. It was beyond amazing. Loved everything about the tour. Accommodations, food, people, experiences were all excellent. Highly recommend it.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    We did South Africa: An Elegant Adventure this past September. We just loved this trip. It included culture, history, a sense of what Apartheid was like, fabulous lodging, wonderful meals, spectacular scenery, eight amazing game drives at Kruger National Park, and a few Tauck surprises along the way. If you select this trip take a few extra days in Cape Town as there is so much to see that Tauck does not include. We spent a day in the winelands, took a walking tour of Cape Town, and visited a preschool, community garden and women's empowerment and training center in several townships with a nonprofit organization called Uthando. This was our first trip to the African Continent and we would likely do Kenya and Tanzania on our next trip there.
  • Options
    I would agree with AshEd's review of the Elegant tour, but what type of Safari do you want! This one is half culture, so if you want all Safari, it would be the wrong tour for you. I have taken all four of Tauck's Safari tours. The Botswana tour is my favorite though my favorite of the countries is Tanzania. If you want lots of animals then take one of the East African safaris. Understand that the South Africa tour and Botswana tours are very different from the K and T tour and the Tanzania Zanzibar tour. Also, be aware of the time of year you chose to go because of the dry or wet seasons and temperatures in general. It can get very cold at night in both of the tours you mention and very hot depending on when you go.
    Pace---very early morning starts. Very little exercise
    but you need to be agile and able to climb into the high sided vehicles on both these tours. If you have issues climbing, then chose an East Africa tour, the vehicles there are much lower to get into. I am fit, but being short, I find it tricky. If you have back issues, this could be a problem.
    Accommodations are fabulous, except for the Camp Kalahari on the Botswana tour, but that was still my favorite location on that tour for specific reasons.
    Highly recommend arriving two days early on these tours to help jetlag, relax or do extra things not included on the tours, whatever type of traveler you are, we arrive early, maybe do something extra but also have at least a half day 'chill' where we get a massage or something like that because the Tauck tours can be tiring. We like not to always be with everyone, trying to chose to dine on our own sometimes when we have a choice, it's nice to just enjoy a meal rather than make conversation every mealtime.
    Get all your shots!
    We have been to Africa five times now and plan to go again.
  • Options
    British - we have done K&T. Can you talk more about the Botswana trip? I am interested in going to Africa again.
  • Options
    Hi CatLover8,
    This isn't British but my husband and I took the Botswana, Zambia and South Africa tour Aug. 26, 2017. It was a trip of a lifetime. The itinerary provides something for everyone. Zambia is all about the falls and the rhino sanctuary. The Royal Livingstone was a great place to start this trip. While we had activities, it wasn't so harried and you had down time before the safari portion of the trip. Botswana was my favorite. All three camps were wonderful. Food was good, people were warm and pleasant. Accomodations exceeded our expections. Even the rustic Camp Kalahari provided everything we needed. The pace is fast. We left our camps by 7:30 a.m., returned between noon and 1:00 p.m. for lunch and back out around 3:00 or 3:30. Most nights, we did not return until almost 7:00 p.m., went straight to dinner and then to our rooms.
    Cape Town is a big city. We did a tour of a garden, District 6 museum, went to the Cape of Good Hope and then had our choice of Seal Island and Boulders Beach.
    Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Options

Crackeroo

I am also wanting to do Botswana Tour. I have done the Tanzania/Zanzibar and of course saw so many animals. Did you feel on the Botswana tour that you saw enough animals on the trip? And, looks like mode of transportation on animal safaris varies from canoe, ferry, helicopter, jeep. Is that correct? Did you enjoy the variety?
  • Options
    cb2labs,
    Our tour director told us the quantity of animals were larger in Kenya/Tanzania but there is a greater number of species of animals on the Botswana, Zambia and S. Africa tour. We were lucky enough to see the Big 5 and 8 of the Big 9 (didn't see the Cheetah). We were not disappointed in the number of animals and birds on this trip. In S. Africa, some of our group went to Seal Island. On the way to the island, we had a humpback whale swimming next to the boat. On the island with the seals were penguins.
    Yes, there are planes, trains and automobiles on this trip. All provided a different perspective.
    We loved everything about this tour. Would do it again.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input ! It really helps to understand the different trips.
    I think that the Botswana trip sounds more "physical" than the Elegant one ? With very little downtime.
    I won't lie , we do enjoy a little downtime but this trip seems more interesting to us.
    Love hearing the stories and input. Would love to hear more ???????????? Thanks
  • Options
    We are looking at the Botswana trip around the late May / early June time of year. We wonder about the weather and quantity of animals during this time.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    We are looking at the Botswana trip around the late May / early June time of year. We wonder about the weather and quantity of animals during this time.

This topic requires a bit of research and personal decisions! We are booked on the 25 May 2019 departure but selecting a date was not easy. There are a number of things to consider-

Water level over Victoria Falls- if you like a lot of spray, don't mind not being able to take photographs up close, or will have a camera/lens that will allow you to take photos from a distance or from the air (helo, ultralight), go in early-mid summer. The rainy season which runs from November - March has an extended impact on the falls. The flow can become many smaller rivulets in the fall, however, and may not truly be "Mosi Oa Tunya"- "The smoke which thunders"- that you see in photographs.

Water level in the Okavango Delta- this water starts as rain 1000+ mi. away, to the north in the central highlands of Angola in January - February, so it can take awhile to reach the Delta. It drains into the Cubango River which flows south through Namibia, away from the sea, gathering ever more water until it finally reaches Botswana, where the river becomes known as the Okavango, and becomes a vast delta over the next four months (Mar - Jun). Water levels peak between Jun - Aug "when the delta swells to three times its permanent size, attracting animals from kilometers around and creating one of Africa’s greatest concentrations of wildlife". Water makes it easier to navigate the waterways by mokoro canoe, but too much can make travel by safari vehicle difficult. On the other hand, go too late in the fall when the water has receded and navigation by canoe may be difficult to impossible.

Temperatures- you will be south of the Equator, especially so in Cape Town, so you will have very cool evenings and mornings (North American summer = Southern Africa winter). Cape Town is way down there so will be cool just about whenever you go during Tauck's touring season.

Daytime Temps- you will not be in high plains which moderate the temps in the Serengeti/Maasia Mara in Tanzania and Kenya, so when Sept - Oct and later roll around in Botswana, it can get darn hot!! One source said "October is the most challenging month for visitors - daytime temperatures often push past 40 °C (104° F!!!) and the dryness is only occasionally broken by a sudden cloudburst." You can check the temps out in the Before You Go or any weather website. Daytime temps in Botswana where you spend the majority of time will be pleasant in the Summer months (Botswana winter months), so think layers so you can peel them off as the temps rise during the day.

Effects of water levels on animal sightings- it has been said extremely low water levels tend to encourage animals to congregate in denser groups at watering holes which themselves dry out fairly quickly.

But, if you read all the safari guides, they will invariably say there is no bad time to go!

My recommendation is to dig into travel and weather websites- write down pros and cons, then chose a date- or just spin the bottle! : )
  • Options
    Thank you AlanS ???? We do prefer being cool over hot, being from Houston ! We get enough heat.
    We are looking at June 1st, 2019. We have a deposit down. I always enjoy reading your reviews ????????
  • Options
    Thank you British for your detailed response. I enjoy reading your responses when I am planning a trip. We've been on 6 Tauck trips. Love them ! We are planning on going to Botswana ... on June 1 , 2019. Of coarse I don't want to hear about any surprises ( The Tauck difference ) but would love to hear why you liked the Botswana trip the best.
    Thanks ????
  • Options
    weatherspark.com has some terrific historical weather maps with lots of detail about temperatures, humidity, rain, etc.
  • Options
    Thank you British for your detailed response. I enjoy reading your responses when I am planning a trip. We've been on 6 Tauck trips. Love them ! We are planning on going to Botswana ... on June 1 , 2019. Of coarse I don't want to hear about any surprises ( The Tauck difference ) but would love to hear why you liked the Botswana trip the best.
    Thanks ????
    One reason was the surprises. So I can’t tell you more! Our trips to Africa are less about the animals. I think there is a lot more to absorb,especially the different landscapes.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Thanks British ???????? Now I'm really intrigued !
    Thank you for all your input.
    I haven't been on a Tauck trip that wasn't great.
    Happy Trails ????