Options

Changing flights in Paris

We have a 2 hour change time in Paris. Has anyone changed there lately and is this enough time?

Comments

• Options
    Never connected thru Paris, but a general tip is to take a small backpack carry on that you can wear over your shoulders and wear decent shoes you can run in. Walk briskly once you get off the plane to be ahead of any immigration or security lines and keep your fingers crossed. This has saved us missing several flights when our first plane has been delayed from it’s original scheduled departure. This is why we generally don’t mind medium length layovers these days.
  • Options
    If you are changing carriers, then that's not enough time. I missed a flight a few years ago because of the idiots at de Gaulle. Can I say less than helpful? Good luck!
  • Options
    Since Italy is part of the EU, you will undoubtedly clear Customs & Immigration in France. That generally means collecting your checked bags and then rechecking them to the next destination. You may also have to go thru security again. De Gaulle is quite spread out and IMO a two hour connect time will keep you moving fast. We're a bit too slow (old) to try these short connection times. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I have connected in Paris' Charles DeGaule Airport (CDG) several times in recent years, most recently last August enroute to Frankfurt for Tauck's Romantic Germany. The terminal does not have the best layout and you may need to ride a bus to a satellite terminal for your flight to Italy. Things change from year to year as security continuously evolves and as ongoing construction progresses. Under normal circumstances, 2 hours should be more than enough. Our two most recent layovers at CDG were 2 hr. 15 min and 1 hr. 30. We never felt rushed either time. I personally would rather spend less time there. Of course, we tempt fate- we are headed to Blue Danube in two months and have only a 1 hr. layover and a 50 min. layover in Amsterdam. We'll be hustling to make those!

Normal means:

a. Your bags are checked through- i.e. both legs are on the same carrier or same alliance- Skyteam (Delta, AirFrance, Alitalia, KLM, etc.), Star Alliance (United, Lufthansa, etc.), or One World (American, BA, etc.). If your flights are cross-alliance, then you will need to pick up your bags at baggage claim and take them with you when you stand in line to check in for your next flight.

b. Your incoming flight is on time and there is no work slow-downs or stoppages- France and French airlines are famous for those- one reason some people try to avoid Air France or flying via CDG.

Even if both flights are the same alliance and you don't need to leave the "air side" you will still need to pass through security screening which can be slow.

Other than taking just as long to get through Delta's expedited "SkyPriority" screening as it did for other passengers to get through the regular line, we have never had any problems there.

Plan ahead, learn the airport layout (available online) so you know where you will be going, and don't dally. Like British, regardless of flight arrangements, we always put a few articles of emergency clothing in a small personal carry-on in case our bags don't arrive when we do.

• Options
    In my experience, 2 hours is not enough time to get through immigration/customs and transfer to a flight to Italy at CDG. I had allowed more time than that to change planes from a flight arriving from Boston to a flight to Florence, and I still missed it. The big problem with my flight from BOS was that it landed far, far away from the terminal and took forever to taxi to the terminal. Immigration was a nightmare, then I ran to catch the next flight As I recall, all was inside and on foot -- no transfer by bus or train to another terminal - but I could be wrong. I also recall that the signage left much to be desired. It was difficult to find the gate for the flight to Florence, which was one of those gates where you go downstairs and take a bus to the plane on the tarmac. Then, after missing the flight, I stood in a long line of people who had missed flights trying to rebook. Since then, I've allowed more time at CGD. I'd rather sit around the airport and read than worry about missing a connection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file