Options

June 13, 2018 Rendezvous on the Seine Cruise

Hi, anybody out there on this cruise? Perhaps going a day early?

Comments

• Options
    We're on the cruise. First time doing a river cruise, first cruise with Tauck. Looking forward to it! We are arriving, I believe a day early, staying in Paris.
  • Options
    This is our second. The river cruise from Prague to Budapest was fantastic. We are arriving early on the 12th. Not sure what we are doing that day or after 11 am on the 13th. We have hired a photographer to do a photoshoot with us early on the 13th. There are a couple places I would like to go that are not covered on the cruise. Rodin museum, Monmarte or Versailles, Musee D'orsay. Eiffel tower. Too many places, so little time. Looking forward to this trip.
  • Options
    We have done 2 of the cruises that first started in Paris. The Seine/Normandy & the Rhône/Provence. My suggestion is to definitely plan several hours for both Montmartre and the D’Orsay.Well worth it. The Eiffel Tower is a must see photo op but we never actually went in.

One of our favorite things if you have free night is the dinner cruise on the Siene. We took the Bateau Parisienne and had a table in the front. The food was actually quite good. They go under all of the bridges and end at the Eiffel Tower as it is lit up and sparkling. Very special sight. The Bateau Parisienne is the top of the line company running these cruises. The Bateau Mouche is a lower cost option but if you travel via Tauck you will more enjoy the former.
  • Options
    hvineyard wrote:
    This is our second. The river cruise from Prague to Budapest was fantastic. We are arriving early on the 12th. Not sure what we are doing that day or after 11 am on the 13th. We have hired a photographer to do a photoshoot with us early on the 13th. There are a couple places I would like to go that are not covered on the cruise. Rodin museum, Monmarte or Versailles, Musee D'orsay. Eiffel tower. Too many places, so little time. Looking forward to this trip.
    You need days to properly see Versailles. It's at least a half hour train or car ride from Paris, the grounds are huge and unless you already have tickets to enter the chateau itself that line is very long. Plenty to see in Paris.
  • Options
    hvineyard wrote:

You are not going to have time to see half these things. Chill, it won’t be your last time in Paris, or go out of season for a week to see the museums when they are less crowded and concentrate on the outdoor things. Versailles gardens will surely be at their best in June like pretty much any garden in the northern hemisphere.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    We took this trip a few years ago. The Pullman Hotel could not be closer to the Eiffel Tower so that would be a very easy place for you to go. Hard to imagine that you will get a better view than the one from the balcony of your room. One of my favorites of all the pictures I have ever taken on Tauck tours. We arranged for a private night tour with the concierge. It was wonderful. In addition to Paris being a breathtaking city at night -- there was almost no traffic -- so we were able to pull right up to everything we wanted to see. If you want to go to Versailles -- go with Tauck on day 3. We did not because we had already been so I cannot comment on Tauck's visit. From our experience and that of friends -- it is always incredibly crowded -- so I think you are better off doing it with Tauck -- who knows what they are doing -- rather than trying to go on your own. Getting to Montmartre is much easier. I agree with BSP51 about the D'Orsay. When we took the trip we had a choice of that or the Louvre and chose the D'Orsay -- having been to the Louvre several times in the past. Wonderful museum! Have a great time!!
  • Options
    The only caution I'd have about the D'orsay is -- unless you're a art history buff and/or read French -- spend the extra for an audio guide (bring your own earbuds and a spliter if you're sharing it). I thought the signage there was pretty much useless. The name of the painting and artist. That was usually it in English. Going to these museums with a Tauck provided guide has spoiled me.

Also, don't plan to lunch there. The lines are long and really slow. We gave up and went outside to a sandwich vendor.

Get your tickets from the hotel concierge and shave time in another long line.

• Options
    Agree with Claudia. When we took this trip we had a Tauck guide so it was not an issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file