Welcome to Tauck’s Mountain Gorilla Safari: Kenya, Tanzania & Rwanda Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s Mountain Gorilla Safari: Kenya, Tanzania & Rwanda Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Anyone who is familiar with my regular postings will not be surprised that we just booked this tour. You can quickly google lots of info about gorilla trekking in Rwanda as we did. Trekking can be as high as 10,000 feet, take up to three hours of strenuous possibly muddy hiking to reach your gorilla family and you have just one hour to view the gorillas. Permits have recently gone up to $1500 each. You MUST have a Yellow fever certificate as Tauck mentions on the info when you book the tour, no way to get around it, so glad we had this shot years ago. It is in short supply in the US at present.
    We had to be sure we had enough time to get our permits because of taking another foreign tour that only gets us back in the US five weeks before we go on this tour. It seems we should be Ok. Then the next thing is to keep very fit and extend our usual walking to include more hills to improve our stamina, and maybe a trip to higher elevations to hike some hills too. I call this the Alan S approach! We will be 66 and 67 by the time we take our tour, we probably should not leave it any later in life than this. Tauck, thanks for this tour!
    And wouldn’t you know, the New York Times has an article about Gorilla trekking in it today!
  • edited April 2018
    British wrote:
    Anyone who is familiar with my regular postings will not be surprised that we just booked this tour. You can quickly google lots of info about gorilla trekking in Rwanda as we did. Trekking can be as high as 10,000 feet, take up to three hours of strenuous possibly muddy hiking to reach your gorilla family and you have just one hour to view the gorillas. Permits have recently gone up to $1500 each. You MUST have a Yellow fever certificate as Tauck mentions on the info when you book the tour, no way to get around it, so glad we had this shot years ago. It is in short supply in the US at present.
    We had to be sure we had enough time to get our permits because of taking another foreign tour that only gets us back in the US five weeks before we go on this tour. It seems we should be Ok. Then the next thing is to keep very fit and extend our usual walking to include more hills to improve our stamina, and maybe a trip to higher elevations to hike some hills too. I call this the Alan S approach! We will be 66 and 67 by the time we take our tour, we probably should not leave it any later in life than this. Tauck, thanks for this tour!
    And wouldn’t you know, the New York Times has an article about Gorilla trekking in it today!

Gee, it sure took you long enough!!! : ) : ) : )

Wow! all smaller groups (24 vs 30). I wonder if the "legendary Seth" was involved in designing any of these?

KT & R (Kenya, Tanzania & Rwanda) 16 days! all for a mere $15,900. Only 3 departures for 2019- one already "limited space"

T&K- GM (Tanzania & Kenya - great migration) Looks like a "go where you find them" evolution- 3 nights in a mobile camp! One 2019 date already sold out! I wonder if Sealord will change from his second time around for K&T to this one? I would!

FYI, I work out, 2 mi. (3400 yds) in a pool 3 - 5 days a week, mainly just to lose weight : ), but I do train for some trips- start walking (can't run, bad knees) and climbing stairs (for Brunelleschi's dome in Florence and the leaning tower in Pisa.) I started riding a bike, also, a little over month ago- I signed up for the long bike ride option on the Blue Danube cruise. It is a 43 km (26 mi.) ride from Engelhartszell to Aschach. Biking is different, at least for me. Though I know we will likely make stops for photos, fluids (in and out : ) ), snacks, and rest, I don't stop while I'm training. Most days I do between 6 - 15 mi. without stopping, but have also done the full 26 mi. twice. It takes me 2 1/2 hrs., so I think I'm ready to go. I got you by a couple of years.
  • AlanS wrote:
    Gee, it sure took you long enough!!! : ) : ) : )

Wow! all smaller groups (24 vs 30). I wonder if the "legendary Seth" was involved in designing any of these?

KT & R (Kenya, Tanzania & Ruwanda) 16 days! all for a mere $15,900. Only 3 departures for 2019- one already "limited space"

T&K- GM (Tanzania & Kenya - great migration) Looks like a "go where you find them" evolution- 3 nights in a mobile camp! One 2019 date already sold out! I wonder if Sealord will change from his second time around for K&T to this one? I would!

I saw that ... but not a possibility. “Our bags are packed, ready to go.” Almost. Our K&T is July 2018. In 2019 we are doing Tauck’s Portugal and Spain on the Wind Surf. In 2020 we are ready to wishlist for a Med. Ponant trip to Malta from Monte Carlo. We have done more than one Tauck trip in a year, but that is not our ‘normal’. Besides, in the past I have blown out both knees skiing. I can hike on level ground, but three hours in the mud in rough terrain is not my thing.
  • A friend told me this morning that there was a segment on the Ellen DeGenerous show on Tuesday about the Gorilla trekking in Rwanda. I googled Ellen show Rwanda and found about three different videos of her with the gorillas. She was there in June, it looked wet and very muddy but the gorilla sitings were wonderful. She also went to the Diana Fossey museum, so you can see the inside of there too. Pretty useful if you are going on the tour.
  • British wrote:
    A friend told me this morning that there was a segment on the Ellen DeGenerous show on Tuesday about the Gorilla trekking in Rwanda. I googled Ellen show Rwanda and found about three different videos of her with the gorillas. She was there in June, it looked wet and very muddy but the gorilla sitings were wonderful. She also went to the Diana Fossey museum, so you can see the inside of there too. Pretty useful if you are going on the tour.

I quoted this one just to make it look like it’s on topic, which it is not. The “Treasures of the Mediterranean” just got announced to those on the ‘wishlist’ for 2020. Our group has cabins 1,2, and 3 on the Antigua Deck of Le Ponant for the September 6, 2020 Southbound trip. It sometimes seems a bit silly to be booking these trips two years ‘out’, but sometimes that’s what is necessary. The boat only holds sixty or so people.