Options

Tipping on Elegant Adventure safari component

The literature on this trip says all tips included except the Tour Director. The websites for the safari venues list lots of folks to tip. Having worked in the hotel industry, I hate to 'stiff' anyone whose income is heavily dependent on tips. What is the situation on this trip, does Tauck cover all the staff at these places? Do the folks on the Tauck trip normally tip the safari guides and rangers and other staff?

Comments

• Options
    All tips are included on this tour apart from the tour director tip. Some people mention giving extra tips to drivers and so on. It’s up to the individual. If you have plenty of money, then tip as many people as you like, they all give wonderful service. They will all accept American dollars.
  • Options
    wambli wrote:
    What is the situation on this trip, does Tauck cover all the staff at these places? Do the folks on the Tauck trip normally tip the safari guides and rangers and other staff?

Tauck normally tips anyone that would reasonably expect a tip. Bellmen, local tour guides, maids, etc. are definately tipped. From what I understand, Tauck tips them well in order build good long term relationship. From my experience, the local staff treats Tauck guests especially well, suggesting that they are indeed well tipped.

The tipping generally goes on behind the scenes, although I have seen the occasional envelope passed by the tour director.

As to whether the safari guides, rangers, etc. are tipped, I would imagine so. If you have specific concerns, I would ask your Tauck tour director while on tour.
  • Options
    I think Tauck places a great deal of trust and confidence in their TD’s to tip appropriately. On ‘balloon day’ we were out for more than twelve hours, and then there was a night safari in which only a few participated. Most of us were wiped out. But I know the TD tipped extra to compensate the drivers for a very long day. I tip for ‘extra’ personal service that Tauck does not tip. Bringing ice to the the room, the laundgry person, the bartenders or servers that provide drinks not provided by Tauck. But Tauck provides an almost totally inclusive experience to reduce the bother associated with tipping that would be expected in other tours. Double tipping somewhat reduces the benefit of Tauck’s all inclusive policy.
  • Options
    Sealord wrote:
    I think Tauck places a great deal of trust and confidence in their TD’s to tip appropriately. On ‘balloon day’ we were out for more than twelve hours, and then there was a night safari in which only a few participated. Most of us were wiped out. But I know the TD tipped extra to compensate the drivers for a very long day. I tip for ‘extra’ personal service that Tauck does not tip. Bringing ice to the the room, the laundgry person, the bartenders or servers that provide drinks not provided by Tauck. But Tauck provides an almost totally inclusive experience to reduce the bother associated with tipping that would be expected in other tours. Double tipping somewhat reduces the benefit of Tauck’s all inclusive policy.
    Please explain what "Ballonn Day"?
  • Options
    Balloon day. You get up at about 4am and go up in a hot air balloon for about an hour, land in the Masai Mara or Serengeti or wherever it is, I don't remember and are served a champagne breakfast, awesome.
  • Options
    When did you do this trip? I don’t see anything about “balloon day” in paper work. We are going in September.
  • Options
    Sealord is actually talking about his K and T tour that he just returned from, he was using it as an example about tipping. That's the tour I was referencing as well, but I have taken the Elegant S A tour too. No balloon.
  • Options
    Was on the July 12, 2018 trip -- all tips covered by Tauck - however we did privately tip the safari guides at Lion Sands and Sabi Sabi -- they were excellent and we felt we needed to do this -- not sure most of the travelers did this however
  • Options
    Two more comments about tips.

Several years ago on K&T the question of tips came up. First the TD (a VERY experienced Africa TD in fact arguably Tauck's most experienced Africa TD) gave the Tauck policy- yes, Tauck provides additional compensation to everyone involved in providing services to Tauck clients (he didn't go into the mechanics.) When specifically asked about the Driver/Guides he said they are well compensated- salary and tip, but he added, if a driver provides services above and beyond what is normally expected or more than his fellow drivers, or provides an additional voluntary service specifically for you, you are welcome to compensate them individually.

He then made a couple of additional easily-overlooked but important points. If you elect to personally compensate a particular driver, do it discretely so the other drivers don't feel left out or slighted. Also, be very careful of over-tipping. You are in a different culture and a vastly different economy in Africa. Tipping amounts that might seem appropriate in the US or Europe are generally excessive in Africa, can often be more than the person earns from his salary, and create all sorts of money issues for the individual.

So, if you are inclined to provide your own tip to a driver, etc. you might want to talk with your TD first and ask if a tip is appropriate and if so how much.