luggage wt. restrictions

I am disappointed in the 44 lb wt. restriction. Any suggestions for purchasing souvenirs. I guess we just have to purchase at our last stop in Victoria Falls.

Comments

• edited August 2018
    As I recall, there is little shopping at VICTORIA Falls but going home from there, is the weight restriction a problem, you are going home, isn’t it 50lbs? Plus you can taken a second bag home if you pay for it if you are traveling coach, or it will be free on business class. Pack a soft sided lightweight duffle on the way to the tour and use it for souvenirs or dirty laundry on the way home.
    The craft shed in Cape Town was the best place to find good quaility souvenirs
  • Very little shopping at Victoria Falls. We were slightly over the 44 pound limit and had no issues. Shop in Cape Town.
  • British wrote:
    As I recall, there is little shopping at VICTORIA Falls but going home from there, is the weight restriction a problem, you are going home, isn’t it 50lbs? Plus you can taken a second bag home if you pay for it if you are traveling coach, or it will be free on business class. Pack a soft sided lightweight duffle on the way to the tour and use it for souvenirs or dirty laundry on the way home.
    The craft shed in Cape Town was the best place to find good quaility souvenirs

Thats my problem. If I purchase anything I have to stay within the 44 lbs. The airline allowed two 70 lbs. pieces of luggage but we can not use them because the interior flights starting in Cape Town only allow 44lbs and a 15 lbs. carry on. We are ending the trip from Victoria Falls. Thanks you for responding, I appreciate it. So looking forward to the trip.
  • AshvEd wrote:
    Very little shopping at Victoria Falls. We were slightly over the 44 pound limit and had no issues. Shop in Cape Town.
    Thank you. I appreciate your response.
  • edited August 2018
    Ah Jelly, I see, I didn't think the Elegant SA tour ended in Vic Falls. Never mind, you may go to Africa again and remember to end it in CapeTown. The Botswana tour ends there but if you do it you would need to add on a few days to do all the non included site seeing and have time to shop.
    I just reviewed the tour again, it's ages since I took it. It ends at Johannesburg. That airport has a huge variety of souvenirs stores. You should be able to buy a few things here that will not have your carry on too overweight. I personally love the painted and carved ostrich eggs and the three times I have been in South Africa I have bought them and always carry them in hand luggage. The painted ones vary in quality depending on the quality of store and price. I admit my nicest one was purchased at the Craft hut/warehouse near the One and Only hotel in Cape Town. And that would be where I would buy them again. You don't have to buy the stand they are on, I have five and a couple of them I bought cheap round bracelets at home to stand them on so that reduced the weight carrying them.
    I notice the tour now goes to Kirstenbosch Gardens, I guess instead of Robben Island, that has a lovely gift shop. I don't know whether Tauck gives you any time to shop there since it certainly is not a priority on there tours, thank goodness, but maybe you can shop quickly like me. Also available, African paintings weigh very little, you can also buy batik art for hanging, also lightweight, they roll them up for you.
    If you buy beaded jewelry, you can wear that so should not count as hand carry????
  • Jelly31 wrote:
    Thats my problem. If I purchase anything I have to stay within the 44 lbs. The airline allowed two 70 lbs. pieces of luggage but we can not use them because the interior flights starting in Cape Town only allow 44lbs and a 15 lbs. carry on. We are ending the trip from Victoria Falls. Thanks you for responding, I appreciate it. So looking forward to the trip.

A lot of this depends on number, size/weight of the souvenirs you buy. Two novel suggestions- take old clothes, especially shoes and undergarments, on the trip. Instead of having them washed and continuing to carry them, just throw them out which will leave more space/weight for souvenirs. Wear your heaviest clothes, shoes, and a safari jacket during the flights. Safari jackets have tons of large pockets- they will hold a lot of stuff- either more clothes (socks, etc.) or trinkets, etc. Can't you also take one personal item/bag- fill that us as well. All these techniques have been used with some degree of success by posters to this forum.
  • British wrote:
    Ah Jelly, I see, I didn't think the Elegant SA tour ended in Vic Falls. Never mind, you may go to Africa again and remember to end it in CapeTown. The Botswana tour ends there but if you do it you would need to add on a few days to do all the non included site seeing and have time to shop.
    I just reviewed the tour again, it's ages since I took it. It ends at Johannesburg. That airport has a huge variety of souvenirs stores. You should be able to buy a few things here that will not have your carry on too overweight. I personally love the painted and carved ostrich eggs and the three times I have been in South Africa I have bought them and always carry them in hand luggage. The painted ones vary in quality depending on the quality of store and price. I admit my nicest one was purchased at the Craft hut/warehouse near the One and Only hotel in Cape Town. And that would be where I would buy them again. You don't have to buy the stand they are on, I have five and a couple of them I bought cheap round bracelets at home to stand them on so that reduced the weight carrying them.
    I notice the tour now goes to Kirstenbosch Gardens, I guess instead of Robben Island, that has a lovely gift shop. I don't know whether Tauck gives you any time to shop there since it certainly is not a priority on there tours, thank goodness, but maybe you can shop quickly like me. Also available, African paintings weigh very little, you can also buy batik art for hanging, also lightweight, they roll them up for you.
    If you buy beaded jewelry, you can wear that so should not count as hand carry????
    Thank you for addressing the issue again. Lots of good advise. I feel better now. ????????????
  • AlanS wrote:
    A lot of this depends on number, size/weight of the souvenirs you buy. Two novel suggestions- take old clothes, especially shoes and undergarments, on the trip. Instead of having them washed and continuing to carry them, just throw them out which will leave more space/weight for souvenirs. Wear your heaviest clothes, shoes, and a safari jacket during the flights. Safari jackets have tons of large pockets- they will hold a lot of stuff- either more clothes (socks, etc.) or trinkets, etc. Can't you also take one personal item/bag- fill that us as well. All these techniques have been used with some degree of success by posters to this forum.
    Thank you Allan for your advise, as I mentioned to “British”, I feel much better about it now. Still excited, can’t wait. ????????????
  • In a pinch, you can always ship a bag of stuff home or have art pieces shipped. We aren't shoppers but have used all of the suggestions others have placed here and they all work well.