Ok, I've read the forum posts and online sources and would appreciate info from anyone with actual
RECENT (last 6 months) experience getting a
KAZA UNIVISA- not a standard single or multiple entry visa.
A number of sources have stated it is only possible "to get" the KAZA UNIVISA, which is a sticker, at the following ports of entry:
"Zambia: Kenneth Kaunda International Airport, Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport, Victoria Falls Border, Kazungula Border
Zimbabwe: Harare International Airport, Victoria Falls International Airport, Victoria Falls Border, Kazungula Border"
For those who entered Zambia via Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport (
LVI) in Livingstone, how long did it take to get the KAZA visa and through immigration? Were you provided and did you complete an application during your flight there or did you receive and complete it at immigration? Or did you apply online
*? Was the application very detailed? Did you collect the necessary information ahead of time?
*Although many sources say you "can only get" the KAZA at the listed locations and can not apply online, the
Zambia Department of Immigration website says:
"You can also apply for the KAZA UNIVISA online [e-Visa], only if you are arriving at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport, Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport, Victoria Falls Border and Kazungula Border Control, on the Zambian side."
So, did anyone apply for a KAZA via the e-Visa application process online? If so, were there any gotcha's? How did this process work- Did you apply and pay online and get a "letter of notification of your visa approval" (or electronic version of a letter) then presented that to immigration to get your KAZA sticker? I haven't attempted the process, but that is how I interpret what it says on the Zambia Department of Immigration website. As those of us who have been to Africa know, "it is Africa," and how things are supposed to work may not always be how they actually work.
Update: A lot more digging yielded
this article from May 2018. While it reports on progress in Zimbabwe and doesn't answer all my question or fully clear things up about the KAZA visa, it is the most recent semi-authoritative article I have found. Due to the political situation in Zimbabwe, I wouldn't trust it to be reliable.
Update #2: Step by
step instructions for Zambia e-visa application from a Nov '18 blogger article. (does not address the KAZA)
More info.Update #3: This page from the Zambia Immigration Department eservices website appears to indicate that it is possible to apply for a KAZA e-visa- I clicked on "Available visas", "KAZA Entry Visa" and "Apply for visa" which took me to the multi-page application form. I didn't want to go too far since we are more than 90 days out (valid period) and I don't have all the required stuff- I don't even know what they will want and if it differs from the regular visa applications.
Unless someone weighs in with good info or a better idea, once I'm w/in 90 days from the day we leave Zambia, I will gather the stuff for a standard e-visa (digital versions of documents, photos, etc.), then attempt to complete the form.