Options

Touring Linz on the Blue Danube Cruise

We are on the May 20 sailing of the Blue Danube River Cruise. We have been to both Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov, so we were thinking about staying in Linz. However, it doesn't look like there is much there to see. Any insight anyone has on Linz would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    You are right, not much to see there. We walked around the shopping area, admired the square (Hauptplatz) and the catholic churches. There are three museums near where the boats dock: The Lentos Kunstmuseum (modern art), the Schlossmuseum (in the castle, culture, nature art and technology) and the Ars Electronica Center (techno art). If it were me, I'd go back to Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    baberrice wrote:
    We are on the May 20 sailing of the Blue Danube River Cruise. We have been to both Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov, so we were thinking about staying in Linz. However, it doesn't look like there is much there to see. Any insight anyone has on Linz would be appreciated.

Both merit repeat visits!

Not much "there" there in Linz. One positive, you will likely dock right near the center of town and just a few blocks from the Innere Stadt (the old town.)

Depending on what you saw in Cesky Krumlov, you might consider going back. Check the day's schedule with Tauck and the Castle website to see if there is enough time to skip the group Castle Tour and, on your own, take another, separate tour of the Castle's Baroque Theater, etc. It is different from and not included in the Castle Tour. There is a free-to-view episode on Rick Steves' website (The Czech Republic outside Prague) that includes a little segment about it or watch this short Youtube version. You could also take one of the other tours- castle gardens, etc. When we did Blue Danube eastbound we hired a driver and guide to tour CK before the start of the Tauck tour, so we could go (back*) to Salzburg with Tauck (*we had been there on the Ultimate Alps tour).

Likewise there are plenty of things to do in Salzburg not covered by the tour. Sound of Music location tours, Hohensalzburg fortress, etc.,etc. or something you didn't get to see or do the last time.

Finally, if you are active and like to ride bicycles, another suggestion is to check out two of the boat's bicycles and take a short ride from Linz on the excellent bike path that runs along the Danube. I did the optional long 26 mi. ride from Englehartszell to Aschach. My wife did the shorter ride from Durnstein to Weisenkirchen and back. The bike path is excellent and should not be crowded in May. The path runs (typically on both sides of the river) from Passau to Vienna, a distance of about 230 miles. Many small towns have small ferries so pedestrians and bicyclers can cross the river. There are places to stop for restroom breaks, snacks, meals, and refreshments- beer, wine, etc. along most stretches. There is plenty of info on the web. Everything along the river and in the Wachau Valley should still be in full bloom in May. We went in April so the Apricot and other fruit trees were just starting to bloom. You should have plenty of time for a decent ride since the excursions to Salburg and CK are not short.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the great information! This is our eighth Tauck tour (4th Tauck river cruise) so I am confident that whichever option we choose (Cesky Krumlov or Salzburg) will be good. Will definitely look into alternative tours also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file