Altitude

Has anyone experienced any symptoms of altitude sickness during the Legends of the American West tour? Especially overnight in Yellowstone?

Comments

• I live at 7,000 feet so lots of experience with visitors reactions. Yes, if you live at sea level or close you may have some symptoms. If you're in generally good health, the worst you may have is a headache for a day or 2. Drink lots of water and avoid alcohol. You might also want to pack a bottle of saline spray.

Below is a blurp from a visitor website for Yellowstone:

High-Altitude Sickness
    Commonly referred to as “Mountain Sickness,” high-altitude sickness is an unpredictable illness that strikes young and old, fit and unfit. Since most park road elevations range from 5,300 to 8,860 feet (1,615-2,700 meters), Yellowstone visitors accustomed to sea level conditions are particularly susceptible. Caused by decreased oxygen levels in the air, high-altitude sickness results in headaches, muscle weakness and dull pain, nausea/vomiting, fatigue, appetite loss, rapid heartbeat, and shortness of breath.

To reduce the likelihood of experiencing high-altitude sickness, Yellowstone visitors should begin their park visits at the lowest altitude possible, slowly acclimating to higher elevations. If you or someone you know experiences the symptoms of high-altitude sickness, move to lower ground as quickly as possible, eat only light meals, drink plenty of water and other non-caffeinated/non-alcoholic beverages, and provide your body with plenty of rest.

As an added precaution, the National Park Service recommends that anyone with a history of cardiac or respiratory problems contact their physician prior to arriving in Yellowstone.

• I live at 5600 ft and spend a few days a week at up to 12K ft this time of year. I agree with what Claudia wrote. While shortness of breath is not uncommon, altitude sickness is rare below 8000 ft.

Claudia, if you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I'm in the Denver area.
  • South of you in the mountains outside of Albuquerque.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file