Options

Blue Danube westbound or eastbound re: Salzburg

We'll be on this trip earlier in April 2019 on the Joy, our 4th Tauck riverboat experience...Wondering if those who have already taken this trip have advice about whether the trip from Linz to Salzburg & back is worth the travel time roundtrip and what did you have time to do in Salzburg ? Worth the coach ride time ?

Thanks from Nancy in SC. No extra time in BUD since arrive late afternoon on a new BA flight from CHS via LHR. But in time for the dinner.

Comments

• Options
    stbarthfan wrote:
    We'll be on this trip earlier in April 2019 on the Joy, our 4th Tauck riverboat experience...Wondering if those who have already taken this trip have advice about whether the trip from Linz to Salzburg & back is worth the travel time roundtrip and what did you have time to do in Salzburg ? Worth the coach ride time ?

Thanks from Nancy in SC. No extra time in BUD since arrive late afternoon on a new BA flight from CHS via LHR. But in time for the dinner.

Check the Blue Danube archives for posts by others and what we did on the eastbound cruise- we arrived early in Prague, hired a local guide (PragueWalker) to see the Jewish quarter so we could do the city tour with Tauck on Day 2, then used same company to take us (a group of 7) to Cesky Krumlov on Day 1 so when we got to Linz, we could go with Tauck to Salzburg. Even though it rained for part of our coach trip (with Tauck you ride in a "coach," not in a bus), the scenery was interesting and the ride not bad- you make a stop at a nice rest area. We hd been to Salzburg on Ultimate Alps but wanted to see it again. You can do something similar going westbound if you stay over in Prague. AlanS in NC.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    We took this Blue Danube cruise and we did opt to go to Salzburg from Linz since we had never been to Salzburg. The coach ride didn't seem too long (some people did sleep). And, as Alan S said, the rest stop had a lovely view. However, our day was cold, cloudy, and rainy. We didn't see a single mountain in Salzburg as the cloud cover was so low. Tauck took us through Mirabell Gardens and then a short drive around the city. There was a short walking tour around the (pedestrian only) old city, but then we were left with some free time (3 hours? can't remember exactly). We toured Mozart's house, and walked though the streets and browsed some stores. It was also a Sunday - Pentecost Sunday - so the Cathedral was packed. We quickly dashed to a wonderful cafe as the church crowd let out, and we had warming coffee and delicious pastry (must do!) before all the crowds hit. Despite the gloomy weather and crowds, I'm glad we went. It gave me a taste of Salzburg and I left with a commitment to come back someday. And now we are - we have signed up for Ultimate Alps & Dolomites. On a separate note, I think everyone who did Cesky Krumlov enjoyed that as well.
  • Options
    I've been blessed to have many trips to Europe. been to Salzburg 3 times, once with Taulk and I think its one of the most wonderful places to visit. You will have 3 or 4 hours on your own to explore. Get a book and explore on your own - its really easy to do. Castle, Cathedrals, gardens, town squares - wow. It is 2 hours on the bus each way with a stop in between - I did sleep on the way back. Sound of Music - great restaurants - they all speak English. Don't miss it. Regards. Bruce

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file