Japanese Slippers

We note that some places require the removal of shoes and often provide slippers. My size 14 EEE would likely not be accommodated by establishments, restaurants, temples, or shrines. Is it acceptable to bring my own flip-flops for indoor use only?

Comments

• My memories of visiting Japan are that you have to use the slippers they provide. I have stayed in a regular Japanese home as a visitor and slippers were provided for the bathroom there. I can’t recall anything else. I would speak to Tauck and ask

• Lived there for a few years back in the eighties. Most of the time - at least for public buildings - you removed shoes were when the flooring was traditional tatami mats which are the woven rush type. Shoes can damage them. I often just took my shoes off and went in socks. Perfectly acceptable. But I don't think anyone would be bothered if you brought your own shoes - clean and never worn outside. I worked in a place where we had lockers at the entrance (kenkan) and changed to our indoor shoes there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file