"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #23

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #19 was won by Kathy M and MCD
Submitted by BKMD. The courtyard of the Belmond Monasterio Hotel in Cusco, Peru. It was built by the Spanish in the late 1500s and is leased from the Vatican. For an extra fee you will be supplied with supplemental oxygen to help you handle the 11,000' + altitude. Several Tauck tours stay here while in Cusco.

Round #20 was won by Smiling Sam.
Posted by JohnS. This picture was taken atop the Astronomical Clock Tower. The Prague Astronomical Clock, or Prague Orloj, is a medieval astronomical clock located in Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic. The clock was first installed in 1410, making it the third-oldest astronomical clock in the world and the oldest clock still operating. The photo was taken on the Tauck's Imperial Europe tour which I believe now is called Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna & Prague.

Round #21 was won by BKMD (aqueduct) and JohnS (Mérida)
Posted by Smiling Sam. Ruins of the Roman aqueduct, Acueducto de los Milagros (English: Miraculous Aqueduct) bridge, part of the aqueduct built to supply water to the Roman colony of Emerita Augusta, today Mérida, Spain.

Round #22 was won by Smiling Sam
Posted by Kathy M. Beer stein lockers at the Hofbrauhaus, in Munich, Germany

Round #23 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Not so fast! ;) I might as well take a turn and jump in here. :)

1. What is it?
  2. Where is it?
  3. What does it contain?
  4. How did I take this photo?
  5. What is the significance of my question #4?

Comments

• Question - Is this a single photo or have you "Photoshopped" two photos to sit side-by-side? I'm curious because of what looks like a seam down the middle and the difference in color from the left half to the right half.

The right half reminds me of the various depictions of Mary provided by various countries in the Church of Annunication in Nazareth, but it isn't there because I took pictures of all of those and this isn't one of them.

In combination, if not "Photoshopped", then it could be two pages in a book, but if that's the case then the book lays extremely flat. Or it could be like two adjacent slabs of stone, but the color difference throws me.

I'll wait until I hear if it was "Photoshopped" before I conjecture any further.

• I may have discovered it. I will private text you with my thoughts.

• edited April 2020

Not Photoshopped. I did not use Photshop, what you see is the image just as it was captured by my camera.

• Decided to join in on this. I think this is the Book of Kells, but looks like a picture of a post card or perhaps a display photo. The Book of Kells is in the Trinity College Library in Dublin. It has four Gospels of the New Testament. So if this is a photo of a post card or display, you did this because (if I remember from when I was there a few years ago) that photos aren't allowed.

• Still looking but I can't find your two images side by side. In my search I came across the following information.

• If a picture of a postcard, then you're getting pretty tricky AlanS. As you say you didn't Photoshop it, but it is likely that the creator of the post card Photoshopped it or some equivalent to create the post card. A very subtle difference. Good one AlanS.

• edited April 2020

SueMS
    5:08PM

Decided to join in on this. I think this is the Book of Kells, but looks like a picture of a post card or perhaps a display photo. The Book of Kells is in the Trinity College Library in Dublin. It has four Gospels of the New Testament. So if this is a photo of a post card or display, you did this because (if I remember from when I was there a few years ago) that photos aren't allowed.

BINGO!! 5 for 5

Others knew what and where but it is in deed as Sue described. I was disappointed that photos were not permitted so I quietly photographed a large poster for best resolution, in the gift shop! :Do:) In one hint above I said the "image" was just as it was captured by my camera- I captured the image, not the real thing. Sneaky? I don't know how the poster was made, whether it was composed of two, non-facing pages, but if you read about the Book of Kells, you'll see that it had been rebound several times, during one unskilled attempt several pages had their edges trimmed. It is now bound in four volumes. When on display only a few pages are presented in a special case in a special room. UV light could seriously degrade the fabulous colors in this amazing book!

p.s. I had heard of this famous book before the tour, but never got around to do any research, so I wondered, "What the heck was a "Kell" and why was there an entire book about them." B)

• AlanS - You may have a career in Vegas as a Master Illusionist, manipulator of the English language,...! :D

• Or an entertainment director on a Cruise ship.

• BSP51
    6:37PM

Or an entertainment director on a Cruise ship.

How about a Tauck TD? :o Nope, don't have enough energy and smiles for that!!