Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #88

edited April 2020 in General

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #76 won by SueMS
Submitted by Sealord. It is one of two 3500 years old Egyptian Sphinxes portraying Amenhotep III wearing the dual crown of Upper and Lower Egypt. They were originally from a temple in Thebes but are now located in Saint Petersburg, Russia. They arrived in 1830. By the time the initial purchase proposal made it from the Embassy in Cairo to Nicholas I of Russia and then to the Russian Academy of Arts, both had been sold to a French buyer. As a result of the French Revolution, Saint Petersburg got the sphinxes after all. They can be seen today on the waterfront in front of the Imperial Academy of Arts.

Round #77 won by Portolan
Submitted by JohnS. Women’s rolling latrine (a Tauck special?). Bandhavgarh National Park, India. Nepal and Northern India tour.

Round #78 won by TravelGuy (with a “tsetse” assist from others)
Submitted by connorlaker. Flag used in E. Africa to attract (and kill) tsetse flies. Photographed on?

Round #79 JohnS got that one was a flamenco dancerNo winner!!
Submitted by Kathy M. Kayaking from the Barcelona Olympics in La Seu d'Urgell, Spain in the Pyrenees west of Barcelona, not too far from Andorra. We stayed there during the Paradors of Northern Spain trip.

Round #80 won by JohnS
Submitted by AlanS. City surfing the Eisbachwelle on the south side of the English Garden in Munich, Germany

Round #81 won by AlanS with extreme help of hints from Sue!
Submitted by SueMS. The medieval town of Oingt in the Beaujolais region of France . Oingt is listed as one of the most beautiful villages of France by one trade organization. Pictured- an organ grinder playing a paper roll barrel organ also known as a orgue de Barbarie ("Barbary organ" a corruption) seen on the Savoring France river cruise. It was part of the day 4 itinerary in late May 2018.

Round #82 won by rwilso15, BKMD, and AlanS
Submitted by sidecar. Heart Island and Boldt Castle (in the trees) and the Power Station (waterfront). Taken during a luncheon boat excursion through the Thousand Islands section of the St. Lawrence River on Day 3 of Canada's Capital Cities plus Niagara Falls tour.

Round #83 won by Portolan with assist by AlanS
Submitted by connerlaker. The (hollow) copper sculpture 'The Buddhas Within' was made and donated to the museum by Satish Gupta in 2016. There are 1,500 small sculptures of Akshobhya Buddhas on the inside of the large head of Buddha located on the grounds of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (formerly Prince of Wales) Museum in Mumbai, India. Photographed during the Portrait of India tour.

Round #84 won by JohnS
Submitted by TravelGuy. Belvedere Palace in Vienna, Austria. The Kiss the famous painting by Gustav Klimt resides there.

Round #85 JohnS got that one was a flamenco dancer and in Spain, and while there were some (often ‘interesting’) additional guesses (while it may have been “flamenco” I still think it was a Pasadoble ), there was no overall winner.
Submitted by Sealord. Photo of female flamenco dancer and rider first silhouetted in a window (we still don’t know what that’s all about), then, in subsequent photos, were performing a flamenco dance in a bull ring- the woman and the horse both danced the flamenco, the rider and horse performed using dressage. There were a number of flamenco dancers who also performed in the stands. This was at a private estate just north of Malaga, in Cartama, Spain on Tauck’s “Treasures of Spain and Portugal” small ship cruise aboard Windstar’s “Wind Surf”.

Round #86 won by Portolan
Submitted by AlanS. Peruvian Paso horses during a performance at Hacienda Mamacona in Lurin, Peru. Known for their extremely smooth ride which is a result of a unique four step gait. They inherited this gait from European predecessors, strict breeding and training, though some claim it resulted from walking on the hot sands of coastal Peru. During the performance the horses wore ribbons to signify their prior show successes.

Round #87 won by BobHamburger with assist from TravelGuy
Submitted by Sandman. A ski jumper airborne over the Bergisel with the town of Innsbruck, Austria, site of the ’64 and ’76 Olympics, in the background. Photo taken on Alpine Adventure, a Tauck Bridges Tour.

Round #88 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

Here we are enjoying the fresh air and waiting for the sun to set in this amazing place. Where is it? Be as specific as possible.

• Options

Amboseli, Kenya? Kilimanjaro in the background?

• Options
    edited April 2020

No, that’s not Kilimanjaro, it’s the wrong shape this is Kkillimanjaro

• Options

Amboseli with Kilimanjaro in the background is correct but do you know more precisely where we are standing?

• Options
    edited April 2020

AlanS is absolutely right. That's Kilimanjaro from Amboseli. Here's my picture from the exact same spot.

Scott

• Options

AKA "Observation Hill". On an afternoon safari on Day 7 of Kenya & Tanzania: A Classic Safari we stopped for a walk up this hill (one of the few times you can get out and walk in the wilds of Africa) to look over the beautiful rolling savannah of Amboseli National Park.

• Options

Whoops, I guess my eyesight is not so good in hte middle of the night, I see it now. Gosh, I was only there 4 months ago!

• Options
    edited April 2020

At first the photo confused me- it looked like the photo was taken down low and not from the top of Observation Hill- so that is why I didn't mention it. But the terrain matched- couldn't be anywhere else. Amboseli has a lot of wet areas (some years it has been VERY wet and barely passable) because it is low and used to be a lake. And the kicker- Connor is wearing a buff. :)

We had this view of Kili:

NOT! Kili was more in the clouds than in Connor's photo, in fact it was overcast the whole time we were there- we never saw it! I just got close and took a photo of the picture on the sign in Connor's photo above. :D

I have "fond" memories of Observation Hill- I sorta saw it twice- once when the tour visited, and once when I had to make a quick, 'emergency' trip there while everyone was bargaining at the Masai village. Part way up the hill was a newly-constructed, clean, restroom facility with running water, flush toilets, and stocked with TP!! Yeah! :o (big contrast to what we experienced at the border crossing!!!) Unfortunately for my wife, I was carrying the money when I dashed off in the vehicle, so she had to borrow money to buy trinkets.

• Options

I was considering posting this one as well. But it was always pretty cloudy around Kilimanjaro. We did not see at all on our first K&T.