"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #90

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #86 won by Portolan
Submitted by AlanS. Peruvian Paso horses during a performance at Hacienda Mamacona in Lurin, Peru. Known for their extremely smooth ride which is a result of a unique four step gait. They inherited this gait from European predecessors, strict breeding and training, though some claim it resulted from walking on the hot sands of coastal Peru. During the performance the horses wore ribbons to signify their prior show successes.

Round #87 won by BobHamburger with assist from TravelGuy.
Submitted by Sandman. A ski jumper airborne over the Bergisel with the town of Innsbruck, Austria, site of the ’64 and ’76 Olympics, in the background. Photo taken on Alpine Adventure, a Tauck Bridges Tour.

Round #88 won by AlanS with assist from Portolan
Submitted by connorlaker. Photo of Connor, his bride, and Mount Kilimanjaro, taken from Observation Hill in Amboseli National Park, Kenya on Kenya & Tanzania: A Classic Safari.

Round #89 won by AlanS
Submitted by KathyM. This picture of the Rainbow Bridge National Monument in southern Utah, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area was taken on the plan ride from the Lake Powell area during the Canyonlands trip. Rainbow Bridge is only accessible by boat on Lake Powell or by land over a 14+ mile trail from the Navajo Nation.

Round #90 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Where are we? Country, Town/City?

• I think it's from the Cristallo Hotel overlooking Cortina d'Ampezzo.

• Of course...Italy. Same yellow house in the foreground.

• I guess this another one that is way too easy.
    This is a view from our hotel room in Cortina d'Ampezzo in the Italian Dolomites on the Tauck Ultimate Alps and Dolomites tour. We were staying at the Hotel Cristallo in Cortina d'Ampezzo Italy.

• edited April 2020

I agree. From what I can tell the church steeple off to the right matches, but is kinda far away to be sure. We stayed in the middle of town- in a quaint but tired place (these places are packed and get abused all ski season.) Our room looked out over the church and little town square! Too bad the mountains are in the clouds. However, the key is the wooden deck and railings with white posts but I was only able to match those once Kathy M mentioned the Cristallo. We only spent one night in Cortina in 2014 and didn't stay at the Cristallo, but the photos on their website make it look much nicer. The hotels caught a lot of serious flack on the forums and critiques years ago. My wife was never able to get the tub filled with hot water. Seems Tauck changed hotels every season for one reason or another back then.

I initially thought the buildings in town looked a bit too big for Cortina and that it might have been Davos, but the hotel was definitely not the gold football where we stayed in Davos. :D

• The geraniums gave it away. Our room in the Cristallo was really nice. We had a large balcony (the one with the white posts on the right) which gave a great view of the town. Since we were here for two nights, we walked into town for dinner and then back up to the hotel.

Part of a James Bond movies with Roger Moore was filmed at this hotel. I don't recall the name but.... it's the one with a young female ice skater.

We stayed at the Belvedere in Davos which was not nearly as nice as your hotel. (Our room was very dated with brocade furniture.) Apparently they use the Belevedere and the hotel you stayed out when they have the World economic conference. While they wouldn't tell us who stayed at each hotel, they did say that the US and Rusia are not at the same hotel and neither are Germany and France.

• You had to go through extensive electro-logic training at the Intercontinental in Davos just to be able to operate the elevators. ;) And woe be unto those who didn't have their key and rode the elevator with someone who exited before them on a different floor. One lady had to call on the elevator emergency phone because she didn't have her RFID smart room key and couldn't get off the elevator!!! :o (all she had to do was push floor 0). The smart elevator read your key and knew what floor to stop on, as long as the person was smart enough to remember to carry their key!

• Part of a James Bond movies with Roger Moore was filmed at this hotel. I don't recall the name but....

For Your Eyes Only