Options

Vaccine news!

124»

Comments

• Options

According to The Points Guy, ‘all inclusive’ in most cases includes covid testing ... for a fee.

I’m a frequent Windstar sailor so I just got off the phone doing an interview with Windstar’s guest relations people about our Windstar experiences and recommendations. So I asked, ‘when do you really think you will start cruising again?’ The answer: In May. California came back to life on Monday. The upside down picnic tables are now upright, outdoor dining has recommenced, and hair salons and nail salons are up and running. The wifey has a brand new haircut. Infection rates are declining, and ICU beds are expected to be generally available within a two week period.

• Options
    edited January 2021

I talked to Winstar agent yesterday. The guy I spoke with and their most recent (12 Nov 2020), Travel Advisory said the Wind Star (the ship) is scheduled to return to sailing on 19 May. However, he said that was old information, and that he expected they will issue a new Travel Advisory by the end of February. Whether Tauck will join them (we are scheduled for that sailing) is up in the air, and may be doubtful based on their decision to cancel all 2021 XMAS Mkts on the Rhine trips already. No harm in hoping.

• Options

Alan, I’m not sure Tauck’s trips on the river have anything to do with Tauck’s trips on Windstar’s sailing vessels. The guy that interviewed me said the ships were undergoing some modifications to make them safer in the covid era. Dining arrangements will be a bit different. The breakfast at the Veranda will probably be a lot different as in the past it was mostly a buffet with an order off the menu option. Lunch was similar. I expect that they will use both the Veranda and the main restaurant to spread people out, and provide table service only. But, we will see what they come up with. 2021 will probably be one of those unusual years when we don’t sail on the Wind Surf. We have three Tauck trips scheduled in seven months so the Surf will have to wait until 2022.

• Options
    edited January 2021

I totally disagree. No matter land, sea, or river, if Tauck feels they can't provide the level of experience customers are accustomed to, regardless of the safety aboard the transportation/lodging vessel, they will cancel the trip(s). But here is hoping.