Vaccine news!

Comments

• Sam, interesting graphic though I note they show NM at 40-50% of vaccine administered yet our local news this morning says 80%. Hope the state's get their acts together and start moving faster on this.

• edited December 2020

He did not go "off label", I'm scheduled for the second shot next month, no side effects except for soreness on the site. Where he went off was opening it to 65+ and ignoring front line workers, like those in the grocery stores which I thought was despicable, I would have waited longer, all he wants is to try and please the seniors but he still doesn't please me. Thank goodness the Mayor of Orange County where I live still has a mask mandate in place, possibly the only county in Florida.

• Interesting article, Sam. thanks for posting. Looks like Israel leads the pack with 7+% of their population vaccinated. The advantage of a small country.

• Just received our first dose of Moderna. The event was reservation only . We drove thru in our cars. Very well organized and well staffed. My first travel event will be to get a pedicure.

• Choc
    11:47AM
    Just received our first dose of Moderna.

Where do you live and what criteria group are you in, eg. - Health worker, first responder, over 75, know somebody that knows somebody, etc.? Just kidding on the last category. :D

• I got a pedicure yesterday, I’ve had several during the passed few months. The nail salon is large but I’m usually the only one or maybe one or two in there. I feel safe, the girls where masks and are behind a screen. I wear a mask and as usual I never touch it, I drive home, wash my hands then take off the mask and wash my hands again.
    But Choc, I’d still like to know how you nabbed a vaccine.

• I am 74 and my husband is 77 . We live in the Villages Florida. Our county is Sumpter. On Monday They posted a small amount of vaccine available for seniors. All the rest of their allotment went to healthcare etc. I called and got us a reservation. Lucky, keep the faith

• We live in west Texas and got our Moderna yesterday...they’ve been giving vaccines to hospital and first responders sine Dec 14th. We qualified by age but it’s an honor system through the City Health Department and pharmacies! We’ve been hit hard here like everyone else but now they’re sharing with the common man! I slept better than I have since last March!

• It appears that I (72, healthy, living in NH) won't be eligible to get the vaccine until the period March-May. I was not at all pleased to learn that!

• Just read in the local paper (Tucson) that they expect to have 200,000 people in Groups 1A and 1B vaccinated by the end of March. Unfortunately we're in Group 1C, which means it will be April at the earliest for us. If it goes past early April for us then the chances of more trips for us getting cancelled goes up. :'(

• You are lucky Sam, smokers and obese people of any age come ahead of us in our state. I am just going out to buy a double Big Mac and a pack of cigarettes!

• Same here, British. I'm also behind prisoners.

• Hang on BKMD, I just got back from the store where I bought the cigarettes. You mean I should have grabbed them, run out of the store, got arrested and put in prison? Mr. B, hold the cup of tea, I’m going out to grab some cigs!

• BKMD - That's because prisoners are deemed critical workers - they make license plates, not to mention having high-risk conditions (risk of being shanked) in congregate settings.

• Smiling Sam he can think what he wants but threatening our democracy like he has is despicable.

• Thought this link was for the vaccine discussion. We must have pulled up the wrong link. Folks need to get back to the relevant TRAVEL AND TRAVEL RELATED topics.

• Even I am speechless. But it could affect travel

• My county, Pima County in Arizona, announced their vaccination plans today for Group 1B - teachers, policeman, people over 75. It starts tomorrow. They say they can vaccinate 12,200 people per day. It requires a reservation. They say there are up to 325,000 people in Group 1B. Being in Group 1C - over 65, it looks like mid-March at the earliest for me (unless a lot of 1B people don't want it). They also made a statement that they feel they can vaccinate anyone that wants it by mid-June.

The 2021 vaccinations may have an end in sight. Let's hope so!

• It’s almost impossible to get a reservation, that’s the problem. I do wish it was the other way round, that you would get an in Invite to go and get the vaccine, which is what my friends are experiencing in England. One friend got a call at 3pm, to go at 5-15pm, she went, no lines, no fuss, done. Here it seems like a free for all. I’m sad to hear that Arizona has it so bad Sam.

• My sister lives in a retirement community here in California and is getting vaccinated tomorrow.

• Cathy - is that in MO?

My daughter (in CO) is scheduled for her first dose this Friday, eligible due to her work. She received an invitation (don't know if on paper or email) with a place, time and date.

I saw an interesting interview on CNN a few days ago with the Minister of health in Israel. They currently lead the world with about 20% of their population (a little less than 2M people) vaccinated. Question was raised how they are doing it. Answer was since their health care is nationalized, everybody is already in the system. This is not a political statement.

• I just registered with the NMDOH today. I'm 1C so Spring likely. For a couple of health reasons I'm fine with waiting til then. NM has had a fairly smooth roll out though complicated by trying to get to indian reservation areas which are rural and have limited infrastructure.

• I’m thinking way out of the box here, but has anybody who is hopeful of tours beginning again thought about whether even our tour directors are going to be able to get a vaccine, they may be younger than 65 or live in another country for instance. I wonder if Tauck will want their directors to be vaccinated or indeed people like us, will we need to be able to prove we have had a vaccine to Tauck? Will you be comfortable traveling with others in your group who have not been vaccinated? Tauck have stated they will not be responsible if we contract Covid and insurance will not cover it. Will the local guides be vaccinated. Will the tourist sites be open?
    As it is going to be the law that anyone coming back to the US, citizen or not is going to have to have a negative Covid test within three days of returning, whether vaccinated or not, wonder if Tauck would help us with that. This all just gets more and more complicated.

• milmil
    edited January 2021

British that is a good point! we are thinking about ourselves.. but the TD's need them too and most range from early 30-mid.60.. the airline crew, airport workers....
    It would be a matter of having airlines, cruise lines and tour companies make a deal with CDC or who ever they need to, so they get included on the first groups as essential workers.. because if the tourism industry goes down many other will go down too. It's the airlines, hotel workers, rest.workers, food suppliers, cleaning companies, aiport workers and mecanics , manufacturing industries... all are connected 1 way or another to the tourism.
    What a mess.

• Very good points

• "As it is going to be the law that anyone coming back to the US, citizen or not is going to have to have a negative Covid test within three days of returning, whether vaccinated or not, wonder if Tauck would help us with that"
    I think this should have been implemented from the beginning... and still they want to wait 2 weeks. CRAZY!
    What's going to happen is that everyone is going to come before the law comes to effect.
    About Tauck taking care of it, I'm sure they will figure something...I've been asking same question, because as you leave the last country.. in my case Egypt I will need that test to make the connection in Dubai and be able to come back home. If you ask me... and if I were part of any toursim Bureau, I would have a mobile lab unit with certified agent from the government go to the hotels and test the groups and certified the negative results .
    If the want to save the tourism in their country.

• British - Things have to be worked out and I'm sure that different destinations have different probabilities of being able to safely resume tourism.

As an example, I don't think it is too far fetched to believe that a country like Iceland, who has been effective dealing with the virus, can't get the majority, if not all that want it, of their people vaccinated by June. This includes local guides, hotel workers, airline staff, restaurant workers, etc.

Then take more exotic locations like in Africa, parts of Asia, parts of South America. I don't think they will get a high percentage vaccinated until close to the end of the year or into next year.

Most countries might fall somewhere between these two cases. To me this means that it is more likely that tours will open up to countries like the US, UK, Iceland, Israel, ... that I believe will have most of their populations (those that want it) vaccinated by June. Even my pitiful county in Arizona feels they will have everyone vaccinated by June. And you know that Arizona isn't exactly on the tip of the spear for the proper way to handle things.

So my prediction is that by Summer (mid-June to mid-September) tours to countries with high vaccination percentages (US, UK, Iceland, Israel, ...) will begin. I believe Tauck will and most of its customers will feel 'safe' with this environment. Correspondingly, I believe tourism in general will resume to countries paralleling their achievement of a high percentage of vaccinations. Your guess is as good as mine when each country will reach this status and thus making Tauck and the customers feel safe to travel there.

• I think no one is going to be able to make a deal with the CDC. It’s about Science, not wealthy people not being able to travel. After all, if we don’t spend our money abroad, we will be spending it here in the US which could be a good thing. We have already allocated our traveling money for this year for other projects and causes and family.