Options

Solo Traveler Looking for Friends :)

Hello all!

I just booked a solo trip for this Jordan & Egypt trip for May 16th. I was looking to see if anyone else on these discussion boards were going on this trip specifically. Otherwise, if you have any random tips or advice, I'd love to hear it!

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021

According to the Tauck website the remaining May departures have not been cancelled, but all classic and small group departures prior to 3 May 2021 have been, so it is likely those in May will also be cancelled. You should find out in just a few weeks.

• Options

Heywood4532 -- I won't be on this trip, but I'm a solo traveler and have always found my Tauck travel companions to be very welcoming. If you're adventurous enough to go to Jordan and Egypt (and I've been to both as a solo), then I'm sure that you will have no trouble finding people with whom to share meals or spend free time. A friendly "May I join you?" works well.

• Options

Heywood4532 I agree with MCD. You will not have any trouble making friends on the trip. I have been on many Tauck tours and always travel solo. I have developed lasting friendships and meet up with those folks when I am visiting their city or if they are visiting mine. I am scheduled (2nd time) to take the Jordan-Egypt tour in December 2021--not overly optimistic. I will not be disappointed if it is cancelled as I really want to see the GEM-- which i highly doubt will open this year. I am willing to postpone the trip to 2022 to ensure a visit to the GEM as I have no reason to plan additional travel Egypt after the Tauck tour.

• Options

Heywood4532 - MCD and PureLuxury are spot on! On our first Tauck trip - Spotlight on Australia - we met 2 solo travelers (one guy and one gal). The lady was from England and the guy flew solo because his wife could not fly that far from NJ. On our Israel and Jordan trip in 2018 we met a wonderful solo traveler from CA. She was so well liked that everyone invited her to dine with them. We have kept in touch with them all and the lady we met in Israel will be joining us on our Egypt Jewel of the Nile trip in March 2022 on the Philae. This is our third try from March 2020 and 2021 and we have been communicating throughout the virus ordeal.

The advice I would give right now is to look at the May 2022 dates for your trip. I'm sure they will fill up fast and you don't want to be left out by not booking. At the same time you want to delay until Tauck cancels so you can get the credit. It is a balancing act for sure. You need to work with your TA or Tauck on that. The other bit of advice is that by moving to 2022 you will in all probability see the brand new GEM. Just looking at the building itself builds interest. Alan is very positive on the GEM opening up in 2022 based on his multiple travel experiences !

• Options

To paraphrase Dusty Springfield, "Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin', Plannin' and dreamin' . . . ." :D

Speaking of the GEM,

CAIRO - 14 March 2021: The Grand Egyptian Museum received the fourth shrine of King Tutankhamun from the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir, which will be part of the display scenario of the halls of the treasures of the Golden King.

CAIRO – 14 March 2021: Director General of the Restoration Affairs at the Grand Egyptian Museum Hussein Kamal said that King Tutankhamun’s remaining possessions in the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir sum up to 220 out of a total of 5600 artifacts, which will all be displayed together for the first time in the Grand Egyptian Museum.

CAIRO - 13 March 2021:The Grand Egyptian Museum contains a huge number of artifacts- over 50,000. Included in this impressive total is the Tutankhamun collection which will be displayed at GEM in its entirety for the first time since its discovery almost 100 years ago. In preparation for opening , GEM has recently begun installing the collection into specially designed galleries. King Tutankhamun’s tunic will be among the pieces that will be on display.

Still no opening date announced.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file