Options

Ideas for Edinburgh

This is a useful article. I particularly recommend Holyrood house, the Royal yacht Britain and the Botanical Gardens

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/48-hours-edinburgh/

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021

I'll suggest a few more-

Craigmillar Castle. It has connections to Mary Queen of Scots (hunting lodge?) and the hatching of the plot to kill her husband, etc. It was also a filming location for a segment of the Amazing Race. It is located in a natural park across the street from the Royal Infirmary. Great views from the battlements of Edinburgh Castle, Arthur's Seat and the city. No crowds- just 6 people when we visited. It would be great place for a picnic lunch.

South of Edinburgh is the 15th century Rosslyn Chapel. It was featured in Dan Brown's DaVinci Code and has 'legendary' connections to the Knights Templar, Holy Grail, and Freemasonry.

Linlithgow Palace to the west of Edinburgh. It was one of the principal residences of the monarchs of Scotland in the 15th and 16th centuries. Mary, Queen of Scots, was born at Linlithgow Palace. Filming location for Outlander. Every year they have a festival that includes a jousting tournament. The annual jousting tournament at Linlithgow Palace was on 27th and 28th June this year and jousting demonstrations were scheduled to be held on selected dates between 3rd April 2021 - 31st December 2021. Nothing yet on 2022.

Hopetoun House, also west of Edinburgh. The magnificent 1700's baronial estate is a Category A listed building in Scotland.

We visited Craigmillar Castle, Rosslyn Chapel, and HMY Britannia, using only the local Midlothian Bus service which is superb and cheap.

Craigmillar Castle:

Rosslyn Chapel:

• Options

Thank you for the helpful info. We’re tacking on Edinburgh to the end of our Ireland tour next June. Perhaps we’ll see a joust!

• Options

If you want to try haggis, the Makars Gourmet Mash Bar! 9 Bank Street. Just an idea. It was more peppery than I thought it would be...and I thought I'd probably not enjoy it, but I did.

• Options
    edited September 2021

The Royal Yacht Britannia Museum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file