Options

Crown Jewel Aug 31 - Anyone going?

We sure are looking forward to this trip. It’s been rescheduled 3 times!

Comments

• Options

Hi BLong. We finally took this much deferred trip in September of 2021. Had a fabulous time. If you’ve got any questions I’m happy to answer them.

• Options

Hi Wtca! We started this 3 years ago. Tried changing locations but now we’re back to our original trip. I wondered about weather during September. I’ve looked at webcams during that time and seems like it’s between seasons. No color changes and no snow except on some higher mountains. Of course, weather being weather you never know! Did you just wash out clothes or use a laundry service? Thanks for taking the time to help. I did read a very extensive journal someone posted about their trip on another post which was helpful.

• Options

Blong, it was probably my post. We took this tour last Sep and I wrote a long review. Was warmer than I expected. The only time I bundled up was the day at Jungfraujoch where is was very sunny but at one point you're walking outside in snow and the ice palace where they have drinks and snacks is really cold. In Lugano and Italy it was warm and I could have easily worn capris (if only I'd brought them). Of course weather these days is so unpredictable. Being able to layer is super important. Dressy clothing not at all. Nice slacks and a top are fine for eating in the hotels. The farewell dinner location is casual.

Did not do laundry during the tour but did in Zurich when we had a few days on our own in between tours and the hotel had laundry. We sink washed some tops and underwear though. We tend to pack at least some items made from blend fabrics that will dry fairly fast.

Happy to help with any questions.

• Options

Thanks Claudia. Your post was very helpful and so well done. That’s what we did with washing on our trip to Italy. Going on a Viking river cruise in May and will pay for some laundry since it’s almost 3 weeks. We too take quick drying clothes as much as possible - less weight too!

• Options

Does anyone have suggestions for pre-trip excursions from Lausanne? I’ve been looking at Swiss Tours for ideas.

• Options

Hi BLong, my husband and i, along with my brother- and sister-in-law are on this trip. We are staying in Geneva for 3 days prior to this tour. From there, we have arranged for a tour to Annecy, France (which is supposed to be a beautiful town in the French Alps) and a trip to Chamonix (with a ride up to the top of the mountain), aslong with a tour of Geneva.

• Options

DesertFolk, how do you plan to go to Annecy? Wife wants to go but with French requirements it looked a bit difficult.

• Options

We have a private tour set up for both of the trips. When I checked, it didn’t look like there were any difficulties going into France. No Covid test, just show your vaccine card. In fact, we have room for another couple if you are interested. If so contact me at capecodtuc at comcast.net.

• Options

We have a private tour set up for both of the trips. When I checked, it didn’t look like there were any difficulties going into France. No Covid test, just show your vaccine card. In fact, we have room for another couple if you are interested. If so contact me at capecodtuc at comcast dot net.

• Options

DesertFolk, my husband and I look forward to meeting you! What date do you go to Annecy? We arrive 8/30 around 7:40 am and are staying in Lausanne.

• Options

We are arriving in Geneva on 8/27, and are going to Annecy on the 28th, Chamonix on the 29th, and touring Geneva on the 30th. We won’t arrive in Lausanne until the morning of the 31st. We look forward to meeting you also. Where are you flying in from. We live in Tucson.

• Options

We live about 70 miles southeast of Dallas on a lake. We stop in Newark currently. Sounds like a great plan. We just returned from a Viking river cruise across Europe with my sister, BIL and another couple they knew. Great trip!

• Options

We were on this tour last September and the weather was glorious for us, though be sure to have hat and gloves and a lightweight puffer for Jungfraujoch. Glaciers have a way of being cold. It was very warm in Zurich, we stayed extra, and Lausanne, we came early. We did a day trip to Vevey - a half hour on the commuter train - to seethe Charlie Chaplin Museum, which is fun. We weren't particularly big Chaplin fans, but this museum is charming and the town is cute. So is Montreaux, which has a mediterranean climate, m any palms, etc.

• Options

We decided to book a couple of private tours. Vines walking wine tour on 8/31 and Mt. Pilatus on final day 9/9. We also saw a paddle boat tour out of Lausanne we may try during our pre-extension.

• Options

Just got back from this trip on 6/18/22. Great trip. While you are in Lausanne, go see the Olympic Museum. It's one of a kind. We had great weather. Pack 1 thing extra warm (sweater/long underwear) for the Jungfraujoch Excursion. Really cold up there, but so worth it.

• Options

Claudia Sails, I am beginning to feel computer illiterate! I cannot find your review of the trip. I have searched everywhere, except the right place, obviously. Give me a hint??

• Options

CathieOK...hopefully this link to Claudia's review will get you there. I was on this tour w/Claudia and it was great. Such a beautiful country and the chocolate was delicious!

https://forums.tauck.com/discussion/15129/28-aug-classic-tour-review#latest

• Options

This was indeed a wonderful trip. It offered everything one would enjoy on a vacation. The scenery in itself was beautiful and I’m not even talking about the food, the shopping, the wonderful hotels, meeting new friends but more importantly, the memories you’ll bring home.

• Options

Kathy 0529, thanks!

• Options

Was it necessary to have local currency?

• Options

Most of the time a credit card is fine. I generally get a small amount of local money for small purchases like a drink or a post card. The day in Interlaken there was a street market right in front of the hotel and not all vendors could handle credit cards. I used up what was left at the airport buying chocolate.

There is an ATM very close to the Lausanne Palace.

• Options

We are a couple of weeks out and getting excited! Question about shoes - did you take hiking shoes? Tennis shoes? I had foot surgery that limits my shoe choices.

• Options

I took hiking boots and regretted it. I wore them for the walk down the mountain at Zermatt but the route is so rocky and angled that the top of my boots were constantly digging into my ankle. I wished I'd just worn good sneakers or low rise hiking shoes. For Jungfrau Joch, if you go onside onto the snow you'll want something you can walk in the snow in. It was a bit slushy (same time of year as your tour) and a uphill rise to get from the door to the level area for the view and pictures. Also, the ice palace is very slippery - you're literally walking on ice.

• Options

I took Merrill sneakers and they worked great - although I did not do hiking we did walk on cobblestone streets.

• Options

Hiking shoes are really not necessary. When did you think you’ll need them? There aren’t any labor intensive hikes on this tour, just walking. A good pair of tennis shoes will be just fine with good traction on the bottom. Wear warm socks when you go to the Jungfrau and gloves too. The viewing platform is just fine for all the picture taking you’ll need.

• Options

We hike four miles down on the Matterhorn.  There were some areas that were very steep and I just hiked very slowly.   It was a beautiful day.   I had Merrill sneakers and really didn't need any hiking shoes.   One person in the group had hiking shoes with the rest of the group in sneakers which worked great for the whole trip. We were there last September 2021.

• Options

Thank you all. I wore my Asics tennis shoes on our European river cruise excursions but after awhile the cobblestones began to bother me. My Merrill’s are lightweight low ankle but harder soles which may work better.

• Options

Yes, sometimes the cobblestones really bother me too and I found that good thick soles work really well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file