Excursions

Any suggestions or reviews for excursions? On the June 20 sailing.

Comments

• sweenpc - If you have any specific questions I'd try to answer them for you. I did this tour last July. You can read my tour review interspersed throughout the Forum Discussion in the Iceland folder titled Iceland - July 28, 2021. Be sure to read all three pages of the the thread.

• I also did this tour on the Le Dumont D'Urville and I can send you my slideshow if you're interested to private message me. It was a wonderful trip.

• Thanks for the replies.

It’s time to pick our excursions and noted the ones you chose, Smiling Sam. For both of you, did you have any excursions you would highly recommend or any you wouldn’t take again.

• Sweenpc - excursion preferences are very personal. At the time I believed I had selected the excursions I would most like. After the fact I wouldn’t have made any differences. I enjoyed all of the excursions. My favorite was the excursion that combined Godafoss and the Myvatn mineral baths.

• Our Iceland tour was pre Covid, so a little difficult from Smiling Sam’s if the Arctic fox tour is still offered, people were disappointed, we did not choose that one, so cannot confirm

• anyone have recommendations for a tour company in Iceland for pre or post excursions?

• Carol Olsen - I think it depends on what type of pre/post tour you are considering. If the volcano is still active at all you might look into helicopter tours. We tried to do a helicopter tour last July after our Iceland tour. We had it all booked, but they called us 1 hour before we were to leave the hotel for the helicopter to tell us it was cancelled due to low cloud cover in the area of the volcano.

I think I found the company I ultimately booked with through some simple Google searches, like Iceland Helicopter tours. Once we found the companies we made our decision based on itinerary, cost, and user reviews. I'm sure you can do something similar based on the type of tour you are looking for.

• Carol, I would suggest looking at Nature Explorer - https://www.natureexplorer.is. We had booked a day tour with them on our "Gift of Time" day. Unfortunately, due to multiple flight delays, we arrived in Iceland 24 hours later than expected so didn't make the tour. But we were impressed with their customer service and also the experience of their guides. If you enjoy photography, they also have some photography tours. I think they would be worth checking out.

• @Carol Olsen - We did some Iceland touring as a stopover on the way to our Tauck Baltic Cruise. By coincidence, a Tauck Group was in our hotel. We did a bunch of tours with a company I highly recommend and reviewed back in 2019. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g189970-d13023740-r693118482-Hidden_Iceland-Reykjavik_Capital_Region.html

The Frioheimar Tomato Greenhouse is quite interesting if you don't go there with Tauck

Enjoy your trip whatever you choose.

• We went to the Greenhouse with Tauck as part of our tour last July. We had lunch there.

• Thanks to all for your advice!

• It’s time to select excursions for our June 2024 trip to Iceland. We’re debating between Vigur Island and Sudavik Hiking/Arctic Foxes. Any suggestions or recommendations from those who have been there?

• I recommend Vigur Island. It includes a short boat ride and you see a tremendous amount of wildlife, particularly birds.

• edited March 26

We did the Tauck Iceland tour back in 2016. If you're interested, you can see what we did on the tour at https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2016Iceland-01.htm

We did Vigur Island as part of the tour. You can see our visit to the island at https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2016Iceland-04.htm#Terns

We're often asked what is our favorite place to visit and Iceland is always on the list. A very interesting country.

Research how they name their children before you go. Very different from most other countries.

• People who went on the fox tour were very disappointed!

• I would choose Vigur Island. Wry had a nice time on that excursion. My daughter did the fox excursion. Yes, lots of birds. It was fascinating learning about the people that live on the island.

• Thanks, all! I appreciate the input. Vigur Island it is!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file